Trying to solve some monitor color issues, help would be appreciated!

Weasyl
    Tiido
    Left ones are definitely better.

As for the monitor settings, this is a good place to start with : http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/
    I managed to get my monitors mostly equal with the help from this site. Not my laptop though, that one has terrible contrast and the images look washed out on it no matter what. I imagine your monitor has similar kind of contrast issue where dark colors are much lighter than they should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiido View Post
    Left ones are definitely better.

As for the monitor settings, this is a good place to start with : http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/
    I managed to get my monitors mostly equal with the help from this site. Not my laptop though, that one has terrible contrast and the images look washed out on it no matter what. I imagine your monitor has similar kind of contrast issue where dark colors are much lighter than they should be.
    Hm. I'd used that site to calibrate my monitors before, which is what I had things set to, and things turned out very dark when printed.

Weasyl
    Tiido
    Turn down the backlight (brightness) so that your image starts resembling the print, and then mess with contrast to get brighter colors match what you see on paper. You may also need to deal with the individual RGB levels to get color balance better, but it is kinda hard on LCD especially if the monitor is old, and so greatly depends on the viewing angle too.
    You may also have gamma issues, and not necessarily hardware related but software. Perhaps there's some color management going on (or not going on) that ends messing things up.
    In theory you should use an ICC profile that the monitor maker provides, same deal with printers.

I'm only throwing out some ideas, perhaps some of it points to the right direction.

I'll definitely try some of that, looks like it's just going to be something I have to toy with until I get things to work well.

Though, I might use this as an excuse to finally upgrade my monitors. One is a 5 or 6 year old off brand, and the other is actually my brother's old TV that I used to replace the one that blew on me because I hate working on a single monitor now that I"m used to having two.

Thanks for the advice, though! I did turn the brightness down and that does seem to be helping quite a bit, but I'll be playing with things more when I have a bit more time.