Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Weasyl
    Zeitzbach
    About cheap pricing. Consider that the places near my house only offer about 1.5-2.5 $ per hour for a part time job, if a person living in the same country as me decide to price his art at 25-30$ or something which has as much quality as the furry 50-60$ stuffs, you can't really blame him for pricing his stuffs like that if the piece only takes 5-6 hours since he's already making almost twice the normal wage his people gets on each piece he sells. That's more than livable.

Only those not confident in their own skills and pieces will resort to biting the other artists about their pricing. If the customers like your stuffs, they will continue to commission you.

Free art wise, I would avoid that when I start accepting commission for real. If you give out free art, some people will probably be like "Why should I pay you when I can just wait until a random event where I can a chance at your free stuffs and just pay other people instead?"

But until then, it's probably okay to fill about 5-10% of your folder with freebies just to gain a bit of an exposure. Some of the leechers might end up paying. If not, just use the leechers watches to find some of the artists that might interest you. I rarely view the front page because often everything looks the same so having another way to find a certain artist I will like beside random lucky search is a plus for me.

Weasyl
    Ruggy
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeitzbach View Post
    Free art wise, I would avoid that when I start accepting commission for real. If you give out free art, some people will probably be like "Why should I pay you when I can just wait until a random event where I can a chance at your free stuffs and just pay other people instead?"

But until then, it's probably okay to fill about 5-10% of your folder with freebies just to gain a bit of an exposure. Some of the leechers might end up paying. If not, just use the leechers watches to find some of the artists that might interest you. I rarely view the front page because often everything looks the same so having another way to find a certain artist I will like beside random lucky search is a plus for me.
    If one feels like doing requests, something that seems to go over well is doing stuff like streaming requests, sketch requests, theme requests ("Christmas sketches of your character!" or something) and other stuff that doesn't have the same amount of control or level of finish that a commission offers. It's quick and interactive and folks seem to like it. If they like the end product enough and post it to their own pages, who knows? You might gain some watchers from it. Requesters haven't all been free art leechers in my experience, either; some of them have been quite pleasant to work with. :3

It can spread some goodwill and get you more exposure, but that's not a guarantee and you should only do it if you want to.

If one offers commissions, it does make good business sense to restrict requests to limited slots/a limited time and do something that doesn't take as long as work you could be getting paid for.
    Formerly gorgonops. I do art-type stuff.

3.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #23
    Weasyl
    RedSavage
    I feel that, in the spirit of business---who gives a damn whether or not it "dilutes' or takes away from other artists? What do you owe them? Nothing. Who are they to say how you operate? Nobody.

There is literally nothing you can say otherwise that doesn't come off as pretentious or trite. The standard of business is this: Make the money within legal reason*. The fact that it's selling art makes no difference.

*Some people don't give a fuck about legal reason