Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I have some strange thoughts on it.

I don't like the mentality cheap art often breeds, but I don't believe it really hurts anyone who is really serious about selling their work. More often now I think "it's their loss" for artists who undervalue their work. I mostly came to this conclusion thinking back on the foundry work I did last summer. The most popular bronzes were from an artist who wasn't especially good even within his niche. Then I thought about a couple of artists I watch on DA who are also not especially skilled but also get lots of commission, and what it really comes down to is being visible, prolific, and having that niche to draw people in.

As far as free art goes, most artists offering to do free art are doing it for their own benefit more than anything else. I don't think many of the people who get free art were ever likely to pay for art either. Maybe because they know they can find an artist taking requests and get it for free, maybe not. That said while I don't mind artists offering to do free art, I do take issue with people asking for or demanding free art.

(edit: I can grammar...sortof)
    Last edited by lorenith; 05-08-2014 at 03:04 PM.
    Fish heads! Fish heads! Rolly polly fish heads! Fish heads! Fish heads! Eat them up! Yum!

Weasyl
    willy
    Not sure how your friend figures that's even remotely true. The fandom has a lot of people who like to complain about good artists not being cheap or not ever doing free art [for them], that's true, but the people who are willing to pay will pay regardless of what other people are doing.

Free art really isn't bad if you're just starting out as an artist and it can really get your name out there if you plan on taking commissions in the future. The same goes with cheap art. But I believe cheap art usually does a lot more harm for the artist because they're usually not selling for the true value of their art.

Honestly the more I think about that statement, the more your friend just sounds like a dick. :I

Weasyl
    QTMelon
    I should mention and I don't mean it in a degrading way, but you shouldn't be worried about market saturation if your free art isn't of payable quality.

It is I guess like worrying if a streak house is going to be run out by the tamale and taco street vendor.

The market is saturated by people selling and when many of them shouldn't.

Too often there are threads asking more about getting commissions than getting better at art or the enjoyment of creating.
    Last edited by QT Melon; 05-08-2014 at 09:24 PM.

Weasyl
    Antumbra
    Quote Originally Posted by Sammacha View Post
    I don't think you can say its bad, and you can't say that it is good.

Most people have already stated what i was thinking about.
    It's not going to stop people from paying for it, most people who actually collect art know it takes time and are willing to dish out something to get exactly what they want. Some people consider it a hobby thing and that it "should be free" and you are never going to convince those people to pay for anything. then there are the people in the middle. The ones who can't afford much, who troll for freebies and may or may not be grateful for it. However in that group are also people who "pay what they can." Sometimes that isn't much.
    I think what hurts the most is people that do super high quality, time consuming work and ask for very little when doing commissions, as if their art was worth nothing. I mean, ok if you are that desperate for cash but I wish they would have more pride in their work. Thats just my opinion though.
    I myself sell "cheap artwork" but I also sell what people consider "expensive artwork" but you also need to consider where people live.
    $20 CAD is cheap compared to $20 EUR and so on.
    The point of cheap artwork really comes down to opinion, and I will say nothing more on that topic.
    When you do free artwork you are going to find yourself getting requests from all of the above in several cases.

In the end I feel that it depends on how you want people to look at you and your artwork.
    You may even find the people who sit there and wait until every time they see the words FREE on your account and that's when they pounce you. It's not good, its not bad, but it is totally up to you.
    As a person who does commissions, art trades and the occasional free artwork, this is my opinion. Also when it comes to offering "cheap artwork" I honestly prefer to call it "affordable" because I was and kinda still am one of those people who admire work but cannot always afford it, and there are times when I go to a high end artist and buy something they offer at a much more affordable rate.
    I totally get what you mean when you are talking about undervaluing a commission. I'm also in the same boat as you when I buy a commission it is usually a "sale" or something similar they are running.

Quote Originally Posted by lorenith View Post
    I have some strange thoughts on it.

I don't like the mentality cheap art often breeds, but I don't believe it really hurts anyone who is really serious about selling their work. More often now I think "it's their loss" for artists who undervalue their work. I mostly came to this conclusion thinking back on the foundry work I did last summer. The most popular bronzes were from an artist who wasn't especially good even within his niche. Then I thought about a couple of artists I watch on DA who are also not especially skilled but also get lots of commission, and what it really comes down to is being visible, prolific, and having that niche to draw people in.

As far as free art goes, most artists offering to do free art are doing it for their own benefit more than anything else. I don't think many of the people who get free art were ever likely to pay for art either. Maybe because they know they can find an artist taking requests and get it for free, maybe not. That said while I don't mind artists offering to do free art, I do take issue with people asking for or demanding free art.

(edit: I can grammar...sortof)
    Yea I totally get that too. I haven't had anyone demand anything from me yet, so that's good I suppose. My point was to better my art and wasn't planning on spawning commissions from it, so I think I'm good.

Quote Originally Posted by Willow View Post
    Not sure how your friend figures that's even remotely true. The fandom has a lot of people who like to complain about good artists not being cheap or not ever doing free art [for them], that's true, but the people who are willing to pay will pay regardless of what other people are doing.

Free art really isn't bad if you're just starting out as an artist and it can really get your name out there if you plan on taking commissions in the future. The same goes with cheap art. But I believe cheap art usually does a lot more harm for the artist because they're usually not selling for the true value of their art.

Honestly the more I think about that statement, the more your friend just sounds like a dick. :I
    Yea, they are more of an "acquaintance" rather than a friend

Quote Originally Posted by QT Melon View Post
    I should mention and I don't mean it in a degrading way, but you shouldn't be worried about market saturation if your free art isn't of payable quality.

It is I guess like worrying if a streak house is going to be run out by the tamale and taco street vendor.

The market is saturated by people selling and when many of them shouldn't.

Too often there are threads asking more about getting commissions than getting better at art or the enjoyment of creating.
    That's what I figured too, I wasn't going all out and I would say only 1 or 2 pieces out of 20 I would have deemed commission quality. The rest were either sketchy or experimental. I just didn't see how my sketch stuff could ruin someone like a photo-realist painter.

Weasyl
    QTMelon
    Well there are a lot of artists where their work is really hobby quality. I guess if you compared it to basketball. Sure the guy can play ball with his friends and is a great player when it comes to playing in the streets and such, but he's not an NBA player.

So the people complaining about being saturated is because their quality of work is average at best, they gained some fans and it's cool but that doesn't mean they're commission ready.

It isn't about being photo realistic but just having that kind of demand. I can't imagine calling Chris Sanders photo realistic but he does have quality work.

Weasyl
    Antumbra
    Quote Originally Posted by QT Melon View Post
    Well there are a lot of artists where their work is really hobby quality. I guess if you compared it to basketball. Sure the guy can play ball with his friends and is a great player when it comes to playing in the streets and such, but he's not an NBA player.

So the people complaining about being saturated is because their quality of work is average at best, they gained some fans and it's cool but that doesn't mean they're commission ready.

It isn't about being photo realistic but just having that kind of demand. I can't imagine calling Chris Sanders photo realistic but he does have quality work.
    Yea I was just trying to compare them, saying they were apples and oranges.

I'll try not to let it bother me then if they keep bringing it up, thanks!

Weasyl
    QTMelon
    Quote Originally Posted by XoPachi View Post
    Someone put this on a plaque, shirt, truck. SOMETHING.
    Yeah unfortunately that produces a lot of hurt feelings. Sure it is great that ppl can sell art or make a living off it, but it shouldn't be the solo measurement of success or enjoyment.

There is a reason the term commercial artwork was coined after all...

Quote Originally Posted by Antumbra View Post
    Yea I was just trying to compare them, saying they were apples and oranges.

I'll try not to let it bother me then if they keep bringing it up, thanks!
    I really don't think you should be worried about it. If someone likes the style of an artist and likes the artist, they aren't going to trade that for a free piece of artwork. They will be wiling to buy if they financial situation allows for it.

If your friend thinks that you are making it harder for them to sell something maybe, in all honesty they need to work harder on both their artwork and their marketing skills.

Please don't let it bother you, if you want to do something for free then do it, and if someone wants to buy something they will.
    People will do what they want to when they want to

Weasyl
    Getta
    Quote Originally Posted by Rory View Post
    This at least brings exposure, especially when you get good views and exposure to your account
    In the professional art world we have a saying, "Artists die of exposure."

It's a complex issue and I wouldn't say the whole thing hinges on any free art you might do. I don't think the problem is so much that artists do free art on occasion, so much as it is the general perception that art should be cheap. Good art can take a lot of time and effort, if someone is spending 8 or more hours on a piece and they're doing quality work it's unreasonable to pay them less than a livable wage for the effort.

A part of that, possibly a large part of that, is that there's so many artists who aren't confident in their work, or who love drawing enough to do it for free or cheap. If it happens often enough it does harm the ability of other artists to make ends meet.

If it's a piece here or there specifically for a friend or another artist, I don't think it has much if any impact. If you're taking on random free requests from the public at large, then yes, you're undercutting those artists who need to be paid for their work. Unfortunately, there are enough artists in the latter category to make it difficult for an artist to get by on commission work unless they have name recognition in their favour.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiido View Post
    A person who is going to pay for art will do that regardless of availablility of free art and whoever is doing it.
    There's something called "economics" which would like a word with you. If quality art is abundant and cheap, then the people who would pay still aren't going to pay as much.

And it's not just furry artists struggling with this issue. The same mentality has kept the American animation and VFX industries in a constant state of collapse for several decades running now. I have had actual professional publishers offer me insultingly low rates to produce comic book art for them. $40 a page? For something that will take two days per page to do? I wouldn't even come close to paying rent on that.

Weasyl
    QTMelon
    Remember that in addition it is a global market. 20 dollars is 200 in another country.

I haven't really seen how free art kills market vs cheap art killing the market for artists. Even more so if there are a lot of artists from around the world now.