Weasyl
    Zeitzbach

The "Um, yeah, it's good" problems

You know, when you browse around and you see a really well drawn and colored picture and you're like "This is great!"

But that feeling only lasts for a minute at most. After that, your opinion toward the picture becomes more of a "Um, yeah, it's good but that's it. I have nothing to say about it." It goes to show that although it is good, it is very lacking. It is not captivating. It is not unique compared to any other pieces. It serves as just the lion's tail, which is bad compared to the time your pieces used to stands as the head of the canine.

I have always found this to be a really annoying issue when drawing something. If I can't fix this issue on actual pieces, then the piece is a failure. It feels I'm just rushing pieces out for people with no real standard. I may not be proud of how I take 3-4x longer than other people to work on my pieces but those time are dedicated to making sure I get some nice vibe running through me when I look at it. How exactly do you deal with these issues to make sure they don't happen to your pieces?

Weasyl
    Vae
    Even as an art appreciator, I am more drawn to technical mastery than I am themes.
    Something can play around with wicked color bullshit all it wants, and look really interesting from a conceptual standpoint, but I will still prefer that piece with the superamazingomgwow shading and attention to tiny detail, and hyper realism.
    That's just kind of how I am.
    And it's how I place emphasis in my own art, as well.

So I guess I have the opposite problem.

As far as being satisfied with stuff goes, I just think I get to a certain point where I stop caring.
    It's like "Okay, you know what? I've been working on this for like the past 12 hours straight. Deal with it. FUCKING DEAL WITH IT."
    And then I just leave corrections and remakes and whatever else to new pieces, instead.
    Resident Koopa Trash

Weasyl
    Hewge
    The whole creating "interesting" drawings thing is something I think you need to study and practice - just like anything else.
    You need to make yourself think about and try out new and wild stuff, be it through poses, themes, perspectives, or anything. Like, instead of making a dude just standing there, you could make it from a unique perspective instead. It's still just a dude sort of standing there, but it's suddenly just more interesting to look at.

I mean, there's a whole lot more you can do to separate a draw from boring to interesting, but I feel like these are two things which you can apply to just about any drawing and always add a lot of spark.
    Oh yeah, and telling a story with your art is good too - but I'm sure we've all heard about that.

I've been feeling a lot of "It looks decent, I guess... but it's boring as fk" lately, and these are just my own issues I'm trying to work on, anyways.

I don't think you should be feeling like you need to rush stuff out for whoevers. Just have patience with your work and only try to satisfy your own standards, yo.
    To be honest, I think everyone is always going to feel like there's something wrong with their own artwork no matter how good one gets.
    The "but it's missing something..." is a forever haunting ghost!

Hey, don't worry about taking the time, its all for a good reason and it if you aren't proud enough to put it out there then don't, end of story.
    There are some personal images or art trades that I do which hold no deadlines and you know what, I take forever sometimes. I draw, throw it out, change it, start again and I don't worry about it.

Anyways, I really try to improve slowly and when it comes to what your talking about I kind of enjoy looking at it and wondering how I can capture attention or create interest. I like to think that every once in a while I can do so, but that's really about it.
    Art IMO, is about creating a connection. If you grew up on the beach you might really love a painting of the ocean which I find boring. You might absolutely love a cartoon so a portrait of him standing there does wonders for you.
    I don't think that its about creating interest as much as it is about creating a connection.
    Of course you need to be able to pull in an audience but people really draw themselves in, and that is a preference thing.
    I think the main thing to do is create something which you enjoy and want to share with others. Often we see things we don't like in out creation later on as we improve or just something leaves the picture that was there before. Sometimes its a skill thing sometimes it's just a feeling that vanished.
    Sometimes you just have to live with the error and figure out how to fix it later on, re-do the drawing etc. If you really don't like it or feel it was a failure then don't post it, keep it for yourself and maybe you can find out what it is you need to do to get it the way that you want. I don't think that you should feel obligated to post anything at all, but you should be obligated to enjoy the creation of it.

Weasyl
    Username4
    My idea would be to go out of your comfort zone, and step into the AWESOME ZONE. Sometimes being creative means ridding of the fear that you may be wrong or strange. It's about courage, stripping yourself down to show the monster that dwells inside. This super intimate thing that exposes what you fear and desire. Take your clothes off, let's see the complex business that goes on in your head. Show us those emotions! SMASH THAT FUCKING PENCIL! GRR!!!

Weasyl
    Vae
    Quote Originally Posted by Username3 View Post
    It's about courage, stripping yourself down to show the monster that dwells inside. This super intimate thing that exposes what you fear and desire. Take your clothes off, let's see the complex business that goes on in your head. Show us those emotions! SMASH THAT FUCKING PENCIL! GRR!!!
    When I do this, it's just people being mutilated in horrible ways, over and over again.
    Resident Koopa Trash

Quote Originally Posted by Vae View Post
    When I do this, it's just people being mutilated in horrible ways, over and over again.
    kinky, lol

Will Terrel called it a 'phase' and I think I agree with him. I think hes said resembled something like "your anatomy is good, you know what you're doing and its not bad, not bad at all. But its lacking that one thing that makes it feel professional and have people go 'whoa' on it."

The only way to fix it is to not give up.

I actually thought this comparison shows it pretty awesome
    http://spacerogue.deviantart.com/art...meme-460552392

Weasyl
    QTMelon
    The gist of it is, art should be telling a story. There's so many pinups you can do or sexy things, but there should be a "why" than just something to masturbate too. A landscape drawing has to tell a story too, you can draw the tired cliches of mountains and floating rocks or you can give your audience a reason why they should engage in this world.

Which is why with figure art, it's not "character and background" but it is "scene and story" that makes it interesting.