Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Megan Denman

Weasyl
    Clove Darkwave

Quote Originally Posted by TheMysteriousL View Post
    No, no, I do get it. You're acting exactly like every other angry activist I've ever heard ever. Up to and including Feminist, Black Panthers, MRA activists, and what have you.
    Yes, I'm angry. Fancy that.

I could literally replace words and links and make it say anything about any race, gender, or marginalized group, your defending of your group included. And it wouldn't make a lick of difference.
    Go on, try it. Humor me.

I can't understand where your particular brand of anger comes from,
    and furthermore, you don't care~

but then again, there's a lot of anger at a lot of things that I will never understand, because I have never lived those experiences.
    "Not my problem! Not my problem! Not my problem!"

http://www.ushmm.org/wlc/en/article....uleId=10007392

Meet Martin Niemoller. You have a lot in common.

But right now, I honestly can't tell the difference between you and a woman angry at the fact that a man got something instead of her, and has decided to take it out on "The Patriarchy".
    That's because you're too infinitely lazy to get off your ass and actually investigate the issue. You want people like me to roll everything in sugar-sprinkles and serve it to you on silver platters.

And if you are going to stand for something, you've gotta accept the fact that those on the fringe, are gonna make the entire thing look bad. Just as you yourself said.
    Where did I say that? I think movements have a responsibility TO THEMSELVES to police the hell out of their movements to keep nasty people from hijacking it.

That also being said, I will admit that current divorce, and marital violence laws are unfair. I will also admit that quite frankly, there's a lot of things, not only law wise, but society wise that are wrong when it comes to the rights of men. But yelling and screaming about how all feminist are bad does not liken me to want to talk to you, and that makes me sad, since I want to try to understand all sides.
    No you don't. You want to be treated like the world's greatest customer and have salesman-like people sell you on an ideology by stroking your ego and making nice-talk.

So I shall take my leave. I quite enjoyed this conversation, and when you calm down, I will be happy to pick it back up.
    See you never.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Saiko View Post
    That's the same kind of "reasoning" and generalization that many use to argue against gay rights...
    Nota bene: context of that image in my post. Context is everything. Feminism is proving logic, facts, calmness etc. doesn't work, and a lot of people are getting so fed up with it that they figure "can't beat 'em, join 'em" and they're adopting the same mindsets as radfems and homophobic demagogues... because that's what works.

Weasyl
    Saiko
    Quote Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
    a lot of people are getting so fed up with it that they figure "can't beat 'em, join 'em" and they're adopting the same mindsets as radfems and homophobic demagogues... because that's what works.
    Then there's no point in discussing this with you, just like there's no point in debating them.

4.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #34
    Weasyl
    MLR
    Just a reminder: we recognize that discussions on sensitive topics like these can get heated, but we do expect members to remain courteous and not to engage in personal attacks. Any further such attacks will not be tolerated.

5.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #35

Weasyl
    Fayv
    A push back to the topic at hand, the trial and punishment of this ex-teacher.

I don't particularly like news outlets, there's inevitably tilted one way or the other just based on the words used.
    So far as punishment goes, it's good she got jailtime. I'd actually like to see some general stats for male and female teachers engaging with students to get an idea of what the average serving time is. There's a lot of comments about "if it were a man he'd get..." but I dunno cases off the top of my head (not to say they never happen, I just dunno the names to look it up. others can feel free to fill in the info).
    The not being registered as a sex offender is just bizarre. She should be registered, especially because what she did was predatory and took advantage of a power position.

While "the judge is biased and this is bullshit" is always an option, I'm not sure it would hold up over the years since the prosecution would have grounds for a new judgement based on the facts as presented in trial (I forgot the legal name for that)

I'm wondering if him being 16 had anything to do with it.

Again she did do wrong, and it's bizarre that she isn't being registered, bizarre enough that I wonder what's missing.

Maybe it was a plea deal?

Also, looking at the age of the student, I know in at least one state 16 = legal, I think. They could have used that as an example or something.

7.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #37

Weasyl
    Fayv
    Maybe it was a plea deal?

Also, looking at the age of the student, I know in at least one state 16 = legal, I think. They could have used that as an example or something.
    Age of consent in california is still 18, which is why this could all go to court in the first place. For comparison, in college assuming the student is 18 and consenting, sleeping with a professor is not something that will get the professor arrested, but is a policy violation.

She went to jail because the kid was 16.
    Plea bargain might be it, since that's often used...

still strange. I'm tempted to hunt down the transcripts for this one.

Weasyl
    Infestissumam
    stepping on the crowtche owf your americain presidaint
    Lol I knew this topic wasn't going to stay nice for very long.

I can't really find any statistics regarding female sentencing for rape. It baffles me that people still believe our courts are there for justice, though.

Weasyl
    pinardilla
    Quote Originally Posted by Fay V View Post
    Age of consent in california is still 18, which is why this could all go to court in the first place. For comparison, in college assuming the student is 18 and consenting, sleeping with a professor is not something that will get the professor arrested, but is a policy violation.

She went to jail because the kid was 16.
    Plea bargain might be it, since that's often used...

still strange. I'm tempted to hunt down the transcripts for this one.
    Plea bargains are a great reason why trying to build a narrative out of cherry-picked anecdotes of prison sentences is a bad idea. There are far too many variables going into the outcome of any one case to draw any sort of conclusion of why the defendant got a particularly light or heavy sentence.

Another good reason is that focusing on sentences ignores the many, many rapists that never even see the inside of a courtroom at all.
         
       
    Now,
              let's go play, together...
       
    Together under the
                     clearest of
    blue skies.

10.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #40

Weasyl
    Term
    To counter the story in this thread there's this coming out of Texas: http://m.nydailynews.com/news/crime/....1778291#bmb=1

In summary, 20-year old who admitted to the rape of a 14 year old three years ago is being given five years probation with no requirement to attend treatment for sexual offenders. The judge ruled that since medical records showed the then 14-year-old had previous sexual partners, had birthed a child, (both things that the victim has denied) and had agreed to have sex with the accused, though not on school grounds where the attack occurred, she was partially to blame for the attack and therefore somehow absolves the accused of some responsibility for forcing himself on her when, he admitted in a confession, she repeatedly told him "stop" and "no."

So place this in comparison to the case brought up in the OP, and the general talk on sentencing. There's really no grand consensus on sentencing aside from what states have mandatory minimums and maximums, though most tend to fall somewhere in between. And apparently in Texas, a judge can use their personal assessment of a rape victim's character to determine the appropriate sentence for the admitted rapist.

These are the kinds of things that don't show up in statistics.
    Last edited by Term; 05-04-2014 at 12:38 PM.