Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Weasyl
    Clove Darkwave
    Well it's a good thing we live in the glorious era of the Internet where everyone's viewpoints and spins can be shared, hmm? Don't be so sour, it'll get reported on across all mediums the same way everything else does. That is to say, through someone else's eyes and voice.

Weasyl
    N/A
    That's some improvement. Minimum wage here for an adult worker is roughly $12 and people get by well enough. Why did they go straight for $15?

Weasyl
    Ibuuyk
    Glad you guys are finally starting to evolve out of your barbaric ways, you're one step closer to being a first-world country!

4.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #24

Weasyl
    Term
    Quote Originally Posted by Ibuuyk View Post
    Glad you guys are finally starting to evolve out of your barbaric ways, you're one step closer to being a first-world country!
    Quit the theatrics Ibuuyk.

Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Loafy View Post
    That's some improvement. Minimum wage here for an adult worker is roughly $12 and people get by well enough. Why did they go straight for $15?
    The cost of living where you live must be considerably lower.

I live in a place that likely has a lower cost of living than Washington (Texas) and 12 dollars an hour on a 40 hour work day isn't enough to make rent/bills/medical/food/student loans.

I'd bet a lot of people get paid more than minimum wage to start out up there. Most low wage work opportunities around here start off around 8-10, rather than actual minimum wage (which is 7.25 last I checked?). And I've heard from my mom that many places in Cali will start you off at 10 an hour. I don't know what Washingtons pay habits are, but being as it's on the west coast I'd bet that 12 an hour isn't enough to pay the basics.
    Fish heads! Fish heads! Rolly polly fish heads! Fish heads! Fish heads! Eat them up! Yum!

Weasyl
    N/A
    In Jacksonville, everywhere pretty much starts you off on Min wage or slightly above it so they can say "hurp durp we pay more than minimum wage". The rest of the places, you need a degree (or some sort of training), work in a warehouse (which isn't that much higher of pay), OR Hobby Lobby which pays $10/hr for part time and $15/hr for full time.

The cost of living here isn't that low to be honest. Especially in some of the "good neighborhoods". Even then, it's pretty pricey if you want to live on your own while only making $7.79. It's a big city and to get anywhere efficiently, you'd need a car so now you have car payments and nearly $4/gal gas.

Basically, not every place adjusts to cost of living expenses. Some just say "fuck you, I do wut I want"
    We all have our demons. If we're not fighting them, then we've befriended them.

Not gonna speculate about US, but I'm curious to see how this goes.

Every time people get a raise in this place , the products get more expensive pretty much rendering it pointless.

Quote Originally Posted by Aleu View Post
    Basically, not every place adjusts to cost of living expenses. Some just say "fuck you, I do wut I want"
    Theschool where my sister works assumes everyone lives in the middle of small-town Colorado where cost of living is supposed to be cheap.

...they forget that only 4 staff members in the entire school actually LIVE in the town, and the people delivering pizzas for the pizza hut make more than the teachers do. I'm aware that there is a union, and it's actually powerful, but the only reason it's considered powerful is because they haven't been told "Get out" and one time out of ten they actually say something that has a chance of not going in one ear and out the other.

There needs to be a trigger warning on this topic @_@

Minimum wage is ultimately without consequence. You might see a slight, almost maybe kinda statistically significant boost in the economy and jobs created due to sticky low wages but in a few years the entire thing will be a wash. This is proven time and again.
    Get a loada this guy here.
    https://twitter.com/DogdongD