Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Weasyl
    pinardilla
    It's also very fitting that this news is coming out on May Day, the real Labor Day. Remember the Haymarket Martyrs!
         
       
    Now,
              let's go play, together...
       
    Together under the
                     clearest of
    blue skies.

Weasyl
    BrazenBull
    If you really want to fix things economically, get the federal reserve out of the country's money. Just my thoughts on this.

Also, how is this law going to stop businesses from increasing their prices by just that much in response? How many businesses do they expect to leave Seattle?

Weasyl
    pinardilla
    Quote Originally Posted by BrazenBull View Post
    If you really want to fix things economically, get the federal reserve out of the country's money. Just my thoughts on this.

Also, how is this law going to stop businesses from increasing their prices by just that much in response? How many businesses do they expect to leave Seattle?
    The Fed is just an abstraction, if you removed it and its powers fell back to the Treasury not much would change.

Prices won't go up all that much and businesses won't leave because labor costs are still a relative pittance as a portion of total costs and there's still more money to be made in Seattle than elsewhere.
         
       
    Now,
       
    Together under the
                     clearest of
    blue skies.

Weasyl
    Ranguvar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
    This MIGHT snowball into something bigger but more likely than not it's going to be horrifically maligned and misrepresented in the media as a "disaster" for Seattle, thus possibly putting the kibosh on wage hikes elsewhere.
    It wont be a disaster, the GOP is currently ignoring years of empirical data and historical precedent concerning any increases of the national wage. Raising the base wages is inconvenient when you are managing an underclass meant to compete with illegal migrant workers.

Anyway, most minimum wage workers tend to spend all their money on the lower end, and rarely save their earnings, so any apocalyptic scenario involving inflation or an employment crisis are greatly exaggerated.Unfortunately , there is no real reason for employers to raise wages on their own. Employers understandable are paying the minimum amount they can legally get away with, not what wages would be in a truly competitive labor market. Laborers are setting the prices, not what their competition is paying to attract the workers they need or want. People are desperate and since employers have such a large pull of potential employees, they can hire without any consideration to their profit margin since people will take what they can get. The GOP bitches about minimum wage, but if our labor market was more competitive wages would probably be higher, giving them very good reason to fuck us in the Senate.The GOP, somehow, also missed (or more likely, ignoring) about how increasing the purchasing power of the lower class would help the overall economy.

Weasyl
    Toshabi
    Seattle is going to be a fun thing to watch to see if the "Raise the minimum wage" theory holds water.

Weasyl
    QTMelon
    Seattle is just basically disgruntled Californians that felt they were doing better being there and brought in the same problems. It is expensive to live there, and you need a car more than you would in CA as well I mean basically their transit is mostly carpool or drive to a park and ride.

Seattle also doesn't have to file state tax.

Wages needed to go up so you can at least afford something other than a box for an apartment.

Weasyl
    Clove Darkwave
    I too am very curious to see what will happen.

Do you think the amount of people in poverty there will increase if Seattle begins to look like some sort of gold rush of great working conditions, with more people flooding in than jobs realistically exist?

Weasyl
    pinardilla
    Quote Originally Posted by Rilvor View Post
    I too am very curious to see what will happen.

Do you think the amount of people in poverty there will increase if Seattle begins to look like some sort of gold rush of great working conditions, with more people flooding in than jobs realistically exist?
    I don't think people relocate great distances for minimum wage jobs, even when the minimum wage is actually a living wage. They need to have the resources to be able to move, first.

The increase of consumer demand is going to offset any influx of labor supply, IMO. America's economy is so ludicrously demand-starved at the moment it's hard to fuck up anything that would stimulate it.
         
       
    Now,
       
    Together under the
                     clearest of
    blue skies.

Weasyl
    Clove Darkwave
    Quote Originally Posted by piņardilla View Post
    I don't think people relocate great distances for minimum wage jobs, even when the minimum wage is actually a living wage. They need to have the resources to be able to move, first.

The increase of consumer demand is going to offset any influx of labor supply, IMO. America's economy is so ludicrously demand-starved at the moment it's hard to fuck up anything that would stimulate it.
    I don't know. I've met a lot of people locally who talk about moving away from here because wages are low, Right To Work Fire, and generally having some of the highest unemployment in the country. Maybe that has lead me to believe people can and will find a way.

I don't pretend to have the slightest understanding of the topic at hand, I can only hope it works for all of our sakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranguvar View Post
    It wont be a disaster, the GOP is currently ignoring years of empirical data and historical precedent concerning any increases of the national wage. Raising the base wages is inconvenient when you are managing an underclass meant to compete with illegal migrant workers.
    Of course it won't actually BE a disaster. It will be spun by the GOP and their sympathetic "news" outlets as one at every opportunity, though.