Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    In short, Vengeful Spirit is amazing.

The novel focuses on two quests: Warmaster Horus Lupercal's search for information that will ultimately lead to secret knowledge of how his father, the Emperor of Mankind, became as powerful as he is in the hopes of replicating that achievement; and a small strike team's mission to infiltrate the Warmaster's command ship (which is the novel's title) and mark a path through its interior by which to assassinate him.

Over the course of the tale, you see both the villain and the unlikely heroes in both positive and negative lights. Horus is a ruthless, genocidal madman, but he genuinely gives a damn about his friends and brother Primarchs, taking the time even to personally restore their weaponry to its full glory and talking with them about how they're holding together after harrowing ordeals. On the other end, the strike team (led by Garviel Loken, a character explored in Horus Rising) is trying to do the right thing that any sane person would do and help kill Horus, but his inner doubts are eating him up, and the task only becomes more difficult the closer he gets to his goal.

The bulk of the novel is the Battle of Molech, which is a war both on the world itself and in the stars above it. Orbital defense platforms, space cruiser clashes, boarding attacks, everything goes. It's a massive and brutal clash, and once the Traitor Legions hit the surface, things only get worse (their battles become so pitched that you'd swear all of the Godzilla monsters were hired by the Call of Duty game makers to star in a mega-war flick directed by a coked-out Micheal Bay). Giant robots, demons, super-soldiers, tanks, missiles, orbital bombardment, everything you can think of shows up (and yes, that's only the tip of the iceberg).

You really connect with not just Loken and Horus, but also a number of characters both attacking and defending Molech. Horus's personal council each display depth of character that makes you want to root for their survival, even when they're murderous jerks. Similarly, though so many of them die (and typically horribly), you want a bunch of the defenders to escape at least that battle they're caught up in, if only to die in defense of their home a little later. You want the attackers to win because they're trying to build a better Imperium for everyone and you want the defenders to prevail because their home is being destroyed.

By the conclusion of the story, even though the war is still on for some time to come, you have what you came looking for: a bloody, epic-scale clash between an Emperor-to-be and the planet standing in the way of his destiny. It's a thick read (over 600 pages), but you'll love every word of it and then some.

Very highly recommend.
    Sega does what Nintendon't.

Finished Honour Imperialis just a short bit ago.

At 765 pages and less than twenty bucks, it's very much worth the price. Three beefy adventures with four short tales, showcasing a variety of enemies for the Imperial Guard to battle. Going to end up rereading the first two stories (Cadian Blood and Redemption Corps) at some point in the near future, definitely.
    Sega does what Nintendon't.

Weasyl
    FlynnCoyote
    Guys since I'm here, I'll give Heresy Online a plug. It's a forum much like this one built around wargaming. We have sections for modelling, gaming, painting and even roleplaying if you like serious story based rp's in the 40k or WHF settings.

http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/index.php

Feel free to say hi to me there, I'm one of the mods, moniker is Serpion5. Normally I wouldn't plug a site like this but I don't think Heresy is really competition to Weasyl in any way.

@Aleu, in regards to painting the actual wolves in a Space wolf army, all I can say is drybrush and shade. It will practically paint itself and if you can find a tutorial online or make it to an actual gw store, it will be childishly easy to learn. If you're okay with your marines having a dirtyish look to them, you could almost apply the same techniques on them as well.
    We'll find a reason, or else realize that we don't need one.

Get a loada this guy here.
    https://twitter.com/DogdongD

Weasyl
    N/A
    Man I bet that was a bitch and a half to paint.
    We all have our demons. If we're not fighting them, then we've befriended them.

No one plays Dark Eldar because it's easy -_-;

Weasyl
    N/A
    I wasnt talking about playing but okay.

Well, playing, painting, modeling, it's all kinda rolled into the same thing. Though it'd be funny to see someone try to get away with just playing it. Have you figured out your painting technique yet?

Weasyl
    N/A
    "It's not unpainted! It's Warhammer Noir. I'm going for class!"

And no I haven't. I will be going to a class at this little gaming store that teaches the basics. His models are like, outrageously good. I must know his secrets.

My friend's been teaching me everything he knows. He's won some painting competitions with his Nurgle army and over Christmas we spent almost an entire week just sitting around painting. It definitely helps having someone to show you the ropes.