Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 79
  1. #11
    Senior Damian's Avatar
    Weasyl
    N/A
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    amongst the clouds
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,261
    Quote Originally Posted by SirCoffeecup View Post
    I looked at the cast and I thought to myself: "wow, I'm not looking forward to this".

    The casting looked retarded, I could see one or two good actors at best.
    As for this racial thing, people are too eager to defend the minorities nowadays. The old Star Wars' had mace windu for a black man, and that was about it. I don't recall that many complaints about it
    Old Star Wars? That was in the newer movies.

    The OLD Star Wars had Lando
    We all have our demons. If we're not fighting them, then we've befriended them.

  2. #12
    Senior SirCoffeecup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    The cold north
    Posts
    903
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleu View Post
    Old Star Wars? That was in the newer movies.

    The OLD Star Wars had Lando
    This is just nitpicking. Any star wars that was before this is now old. But, the latter half is OLDER.

  3. #13
    Banned Tycho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    296
    Such are the fruits of the WHITE GUILT tree. I'm extremely disappointed with Forbes, they're falling prey to the exact same kind of shit that ruined Cracked for me. Someone has decided that white guilt and this warped idea of "social justice" is highly bankable, and so it's being pushed to an audience they think is eager to consume it - the same kind of audience that thinks the Bechdel test is a great metric for determining how "woman-friendly" a movie or whatever is.

  4. #14
    Banned Tycho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    296
    Quote Originally Posted by XoPachi View Post
    -squints-
    *type type google google*

    ...
    Oh my fuck. .-.
    The Bechdel test is a pants-on-head stupid "metric" for determining how "feminist-friendly" any given movie, TV series, book, etc. is. Nota bene: it completely ignores the quality of the characters (the original SW trilogy fails the Bechdel even though it has possibly one of the best female characters in the ENTIRETY of sci-fi with Leia Organa), it simply wants MOAR WIMMINZ and they can't be talking about ICKY EBIL MEN. The Bechdel test is nothing more than a vehicle for feminist dogma.

  5. #15
    Premium User Krespo's Avatar


    Weasyl
    N/A
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,246
    Quote Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
    Such are the fruits of the WHITE GUILT tree. I'm extremely disappointed with Forbes, they're falling prey to the exact same kind of shit that ruined Cracked for me. Someone has decided that white guilt and this warped idea of "social justice" is highly bankable, and so it's being pushed to an audience they think is eager to consume it - the same kind of audience that thinks the Bechdel test is a great metric for determining how "woman-friendly" a movie or whatever is.
    Cracked was ruined long ago by its overuse of the words 'Insane', 'Awesome', and 'Unbelievable'.

  6. #16
    Banned Tycho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    296
    Quote Originally Posted by Loafy View Post
    Cracked was ruined long ago by its overuse of the words 'Insane', 'Awesome', and 'Unbelievable'.
    It's funny, because they would mock other sites like BuzzFeed for using clickbaiting tactics like those words, and then they turned around and did the exact same fucking thing.

    Quote Originally Posted by XoPachi View Post
    I've never been to Cracked! \:3/
    A couple years ago, I would have said you were missing out. Nowadays, I know better. You're not missing anything of value.

  7. #17
    On one hand, eh? I bet a bunch of them will be aliens, so who cares if they're white?

    On the other hand, racism is an issue in Hollywood that isn't going away anytime soon. It's not nearly as bad as it used to be, but generally speaking if you're not white you're less likely to be cast in any given role. And that is an issue that I'm perfectly fine with writers needling Hollywood over.

    As far as many characters being male... I also honestly don't care that much that there are more males in most stories. Call my brainwashed or whatever, but most characters, their genders can be interchanged and it wouldn't change the story for me at all, so I really just don't care.
    Fish heads! Fish heads! Rolly polly fish heads! Fish heads! Fish heads! Eat them up! Yum!

  8. #18
    Senior Dire Newt's Avatar
    Weasyl
    Dire Newt
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    177
    Remember when they remade Death at a Funeral a couple years after it was released just to replace the cast with black people? No one cared about that and I would say that's more significantly more offensive than having "only a few minorities" in your movie. I don't understand why Star Wars specifically is getting heat for this. A lot of movies come out that don't have any minorities in it and you don't see people bitching about them. Star Wars seems like the big, easy, target for lame-brained SJWs because of similar complaints with A New Hope. Yes, I'm sure it was a conscious decision to exclude non-white races so they could have this controversy and be accused of racism. That's the kind of publicity that will attract audiences!

  9. #19
    Premium User QT Melon's Avatar


    Weasyl
    QTMelon
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    1,478
    I have seen complaints from a lot of people taking about various movies.

    However Star Wars has a bigger presence because it is a franchise. It is gonna sell theme parks, toys and other merchandise so yes it is going to have more scrutiny.

    It was just a while ago people were crying when Disney owned it.

    So the " I don't see them talking about X movie" is just really a strawman argument.

  10. #20
    Banned Tycho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    296
    I've never seen people who were more sexist than feminists. They are shamelessly so. Everything revolves around gender issues. It doesn't matter what the subject matter is, whether it's a movie about war (where men are absolutely overrepresented HISTORICALLY, especially in wars before the 90's) or a movie that is specifically tailored to male audiences with humor that is more in tune with what most men find funny. All they care about is "WHERE ARE THE WOMEN, WHERE ARE THE WOMEN, WHERE ARE THE WOMEN". I can understand being miffed about underrepresentation in certain circumstances, in certain genres, in certain settings where there's really not much reason for it. I can understand being miffed about the quality of representation in those situations.

    But we are dealing with a genre (sci-fi, or space opera if you really want to nitpick) that has a STAGGERINGLY high ratio of male fans to female fans, where the race of said fans is MOSTLY white and has been so for a LONG time, and now all the gender and race ideologues are asserting that we need MORE diversity in this genre when the fanbase does not have and never has had that kind of diversity. They assert that the lack of diversity in this genre's fanbase stems from the lack of diverse representation in its media, but if that were true then why would there be ANY diversity at ALL in the fanbase? Fact of the matter is, it's about INTEREST, and that a number of female or non-white fans of the sci-fi genre are fans regardless of the races and genders being represented in the media is not because it's not about the races and genders being represented in said media - it's about the stories. To a great many fans, the race or gender of the characters does not really MATTER - it's about the roles they fulfill and act out in the story. Race and gender does not a good story make any more than they unmake it. Anyone who comes into this genre and immediately starts kvetching about the underrepresentation of a certain race or gender is doing so while willfully ignoring how little such factors actually matter, ESPECIALLY in situations where some of the races (or genders at times) are completely fantastical and simply have no real-world equivalent.

    I would not expect there to be a MASSIVE percentage of black female sci-fi fans in proportion to white male ones, because the black female demographic has demonstrated a comparatively low interest in the sci-fi genre. This is not a matter of them being excluded via underrepresentation in media, this is a matter of them not being drawn to it, possibly due to the conditions under which they were raised - they are more likely to be raised to develop strong interests in OTHER genres (in which white males are generally strongly underrepresented in the fanbases). It should be noted that these black women will then grow up and if they choose to pursue acting roles they are FAR more likely to gravitate towards and audition for roles in movies that are closer to their interests. Movies that explore subjects and genres closer to the ones explored in their favorite literature, TV, books, etc. that they enjoyed during their formative years. There will always be a few actors and actresses who explore roles beyond the roles they read about in their favorite childhood literature, but they are proving to be a vast minority.
    Last edited by Tycho; 04-30-2014 at 04:15 PM.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •