Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Weasyl
    Toshabi

Star Wars Cast: Mostly White Males

Apparently, this is an actual discussion topic going around my college.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmen...ly-white-guys/

The article is specifically going over how the casting for the movie is imbalanced to its fanbase and neglects to balance the scales in terms to more races and with females. Thoughts, Weasyl?

Weasyl
    N/A
    I'm wondering what the fuck Andy Serkis is doing there.

That's pretty much it.
    We all have our demons. If we're not fighting them, then we've befriended them.

Jesus, even Forbes is hopping aboard the SJW train.

Weasyl
    Clove Darkwave
    " They are very white and very male."

So...if they were slightly white and very male it'd be okay then?

What if they were very white and slightly male?

We could even really push the line with slightly white and "sort of" male. But I think that one might really put off most audiences.

I looked at the cast and I thought to myself: "wow, I'm not looking forward to this".

The casting looked retarded, I could see one or two good actors at best.
    As for this racial thing, people are too eager to defend the minorities nowadays. The old Star Wars' had mace windu for a black man, and that was about it. I don't recall that many complaints about it

Weasyl
    Clove Darkwave
    Quote Originally Posted by SirCoffeecup View Post
    I looked at the cast and I thought to myself: "wow, I'm not looking forward to this".

The casting looked retarded, I could see one or two good actors at best.
    As for this racial thing, people are too eager to defend the minorities nowadays. The old Star Wars' had mace windu for a black man, and that was about it. I don't recall that many complaints about it
    You said "black" and "complaints" in the same post...and I swear I heard the voice of something horrible that had to do with Jars...

Quote Originally Posted by Rilvor View Post
    You said "black" and "complaints" in the same post...and I swear I heard the voice of something horrible that had to do with Jars...
    Jar Jar Binks was allegedly annoying, but I didn't mind him at all. I find it surprising there are folk out there who actually HATE him.

That said, I read through the article now. What a load of BS.
    Obviously the author never noticed how the star wars scene is mostly about war, and that not many women take part in wars on the frontlines. And I cannot believe how he manages to make "A strong willed and/or feisty" sound bad. I guess he's a fan of those helplessly pathetic classic women who are in abundance..no wait, he critizises them too. This author doesn't even know what he wants.
    And for the japanese part, chances are there are some oriental side characters or scenes. I thought the jedi temple itself was, with its chairless design, a fair homage to the ascetic lifestyle in the rural towns in Japan.
    Nobody said these protagonists are all going to be humans. Some might be aliens to balance things out.

I hate this author almost as much as I hate Matt Peckham for making a terribly misinformed and biased article in TIME magazine.

Weasyl
    N/A
    make everyone stronk independent black wimmin who dont need no mans and we'll have the most progressive movie in history

Weasyl
    QTMelon
    Why do people have to go to extremes when people talk about diversity?

It's either that people shouldn't notice that today's day and age a science fiction story doesn't really have a diverse cast...when we're talking about a story that involves the ...I dunno "entire universe"

Or that people think that adding a few roles that are more diverse means that it should be filled with the most under-represented minorities.

It's really ridiculous to jump in and make arguments like that.

Maybe some people are wondering why in the year 2014 that maybe there are more people that can fill out the roles of a fictional universe than the same old?

10.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #10

Weasyl
    Term
    To the guy's credit, he has one point.

Star Wars is notorious with not having a diverse representation of the human race. Long has it been a joke, especially as seen in the Family Guy spoof, that Lando is the only black guy in the entire universe.

On the same token you can't take the casting news as an indication of what the roles are, which is what this guy in the article attempted to do towards the end with his "the one new female will be someone's girlfriend and the people of color will just be sidekicks." First of all I don't know what's wrong with being a sidekick in the Star Wars universe. As I recall, people love Han, Lando, Chewie, and R2-D2, to the point where in Return of the Jedi Han's B-Plot was more interesting at points than Luke's A-Plot. Lando's C-Plot there was mostly just "LOOK AT ALL OUR 80's SPECIAL EFFECTS!" but it did have Pancake Face.

So yeah, the woman may be the driving force behind this trilogy. The boundless white actors could be putting on a bunch of makeup and playing aliens where it won't matter what their race is because they'll be friggin aliens. We only know that Adam Driver is the villain which doesn't really say much about who or what he's going to be aside from evil. He could be Admirial Thrawn and have to put on a bunch of blue face paint.

In short, it's best not to get too crazy over the casting, and honestly, the notion that the Star Wars universe could do with a bit more diversity isn't that out there as far as concepts go. It is a bit funny, as the author brings up, that the Jedi order which is so steeped in Eastern myth and martial arts has no real standout Asian members. Instead the most well-known Jedis to movie-goers aside from the Skywalker clan are a British dude, a black guy, and an Irishman.