Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: NWU Pay the Writer Site

Weasyl
    Tom Purdom

NWU Pay the Writer Site

The National Writers Union has a site devoted to its Pay the Writer project. Pay the Writer focuses on all the online publications that are making money by paying writers trivial sums or persuading them to write for free. You can visit the website at http://www.paythewriter.org.

The NWU is affiliated with the AFL-CIO but you don't have to be a general supporter of unions to belong to it. It's become one of the most active writers' organizations in the United in the last thirty years. In the late 80s, it took a case to the Supreme Court and forced publications like the New York Times to pay freelance writers for electronic reprints of their work. Recently it led the fight against Google's attempt to grab control of the electronic rights to just about everything ever published.

For more information on the NWU itself, you can visit

http://www.nwu.org

I'm also a long term active member of Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America and I would recommend its website to anyone who is interested in writing and publishing, even if you don't write science fiction and fantasy. The website contains a lot of useful information on subjects like dealing with agents, copyright basics, and scams that can trap new writers.

Weasyl
    Morphology
    Interesting bit of info! I think this thread would be better if moved to the Art General section though, since it's more of a resource than just a general topic. Maybe we could add a writing subsection to the resources sticky and post it there?

That said, I think other writers would definitely appreciate this. As hard as the economy is it is worth it to make sure that whoever publishes your work gives you fair pay.

3.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #3

Weasyl
    Fiz
    Moving to Art General.

4.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #4
    Weasyl
    Ben
    I might have to look into this in the future when I finally find more time to work on my writing. I know one of my long-term life goals is to be an accomplished author, although I don't write nearly as much as I should. Thanks for the resource!