Free Editing of Submission Tags: Bad Idea

So I realized today that anyone on site can edit tags for any submission, at all, ever
    And yes, they can do this even if they're blocked by the artist

I feel like this is a bad implementation. Not only do I think I should be the only one with the right to choose which tags are applied to my submissions (I tag them as specifically as I do for a reason), It leaves a nice opening for people to change tags spitefully, which is what I think I might be experiencing now. Blocking is useless in preventing this which makes it so much worse.
    PLEASE change this or at least add some options about it? I know it may not seem like that big of a deal, but security over my own art is very important to me

I'd even accept the option of not tagging the submission at all, but apparently tags are required before you upload.
    Last edited by Sybil; 04-21-2014 at 03:17 PM.

2.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #2

Weasyl
    Fayv
    This has been something that has been discussed a lot and we're always attempting to improve.

The reason tags are open is that they play a vital role in the use of filtering on the site. So while an artist has specific tags in mind, it might not accurately explain all that is being displayed for the viewer.

There is an option that makes it so users can not remove the tags that have been added by the artist, and artist tags are visually different from those added by users.

The blocking problem will be taken to the tech team. As for your current problem, we are able to track tag histories and abusing the tag feature is against the rules of the site. If you feel someone is abusing the tags please report the image or email support@weasyl.com and explain the situation. Staff will be able to take care of it right away. In the case where someone is making a habit of tag abuse we will remove those privileges from the user.

Weasyl
    Zeta-Neubourn
    This sounds familiar... I remember there being a thread about "troll taggers" around here and I tried suggesting just that, but... for some reason a lot of people here are opposed to that. I still honestly think it'd solve some drama and I know it goes a bit against what the tag system is there for, but functionality and control over one's content is important, no? Users should have the option to turn this off at will on different submission. Even if the tags added by someone else looks different, you've still gotta patrol your gallery to make sure nothing gets mistagged. (Messages for external tag changes would be a bad idea, too, as more popular artists would get even more bogged down than they already do... unless there was an option to turn on and off that as well, but in that case, why not do the subbmission, too?)

I'm just rambling at this point, but yeah... I'm just saying! Sounds familiar~... ^^;

Weasyl
    Swanda
    Aaand, it appears the team have made it so you can't tag art from people who have blocked you.
    I'm now in the other boat. A person have removed tags I've added to their art, things I filter.. actually one of the most filtered tags on the site if I remember right?
    But now they blocked me, and removed the tag, so I have to see it anyway.

5.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #5

Weasyl
    Fayv
    Quote Originally Posted by Swanda View Post
    Aaand, it appears the team have made it so you can't tag art from people who have blocked you.
    I'm now in the other boat. A person have removed tags I've added to their art, things I filter.. actually one of the most filtered tags on the site if I remember right?
    But now they blocked me, and removed the tag, so I have to see it anyway.
    Would you mind emailing the specifics to support@weasyl.com so we can document it better for the team?
    Obviously that's a concern and we don't want users to abuse the ban function to remove tags that will help people