Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Weasyl
    Clambo

What was the first website you really felt a part of? (Forum Nostalgia)

I was just checking out the DeviantArt megathread when I was really struck with this overwhelming wave of nostalgia for my old forum-going days. Even though I'm only 21, part of me really does feel like a grizzled internet veteran, hahaha. Obviously I'm not, but it's funny to look back and remember when popular sites were in their heyday. Just thinking about the old sites I used to frequent made me wonder, what was the first online community you REALLY felt a part of? Could be forums, journal sites like xanga, deviant art, chatrooms, an mmo...

For me, it was Gaiaonline.
    (I can practically hear the collective groans and sympathetic chuckles, man)

I got my first computer when I was 14 and was introduced to Gaia shortly after by my then best friend. Back in the day of the Sushi errors... I think the donation item at the time was the Kiki kitty. I was a total fucking idiot and looking at my old posts are highly embarrassing, my username was [ ` Kitsune ` ] and I loved to roleplay in the forums. Oh god, the 'literates/advanced only!!' rps. Oh god. The required 8 paragraph posts and thesaurus abuse, I will never forget. I also liked to creep around Picture Post and the Writer's Forums, and golly what a barrel of laughs that was! It's kind of funny, those days pretty much taught me the layout of every single forum I would ever be apart of, like the fact that the General Discussion is almost always considered to be the lowest common denominator of every site ("Oh you're from GD? No wonder you're an asshole").

It also gave me a pretty good grasp of BBcode, hahaha.

Anyway, enough rambling from me. Tell me of your internet memories.

Weasyl
    Tiger
    The ols Suta-Raito Oekaki. I was there back in 05 when the advanced and intermediate boards were still separate. I was an admin for years, had over 9000 comments (lol) and over 1000 pictures drawn. Unfortunately it got to the point where the members were pretty much trolls (lame ones) and I didn't want to deal with being the only truly active admin. So I created my own oekaki but unfortunately it's down right now, trying to figure that out.

But ya, SRON used to be super cool. Nowadays its become very inactive, which makes me kinda sad.

An old guild website back in 2006 for a game I no longer play.

Getting attached to websites has never yielded favorable results for me, so I try to remain as detached as possible.
    If you say "plz" because it's shorter than "please," I'll say "no" because it's shorter than "yes."

For me? The GameWinners Forums. They were the first forums I joined when I started getting into the online scene. I felt I belonged there, which is definitely an awesome feeling. I've been a member there for 11 years, and though the golden days are long gone (2001 - about 2005), those forums will be remembered as the place I got to cut my teeth on the internet.

Weasyl
    Ibuuyk
    Runescape Classic.

What can I say, I played that game for seven years, and since the start. That game taught me most of my English, and basically saved me from my worst years of high school.

Weasyl
    N/A
    Killing Floor forums.

That was my first forum, anyway. I used to be an icky newfag there too, but mostly it was because I couldn't into internet properly, and it was embarassing.

~I have evolved since then~

Weasyl
    N/A
    Like Vrai said, GaiaOnline.
    It pretty much got my art started there, and selling my art for virtual currency encouraged me to improve. I made a lot of friends (even local ones!) on Gaia and we hung out pretty often. It was neat. Unfortunately I've lost contact with those friends but we never ended on bad terms or anything. Sometimes I go back on Gaia but I could never be as active as I used to. (And, looking back at the art I used to sell, holy shit how did I even manage to sell it. It was AWFUL.)

For me it was neopets.

Weasyl
    Tiger
    Quote Originally Posted by Wuvvums View Post
    For me it was neopets.
    NEOPETS. YES. I had forgotten, that was one of my first sites as well. I made a pet page for my Eyrie about chain letters. And I used to post in the avatar chat groups on the forum. Good times.

10.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #10
    Weasyl
    Aden
    A paintball forum called The Paintball Times. I fell out of paintball a while ago (got too expensive), and stopped posting there a little while after. Wonder what they're up to these days...