Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
  1.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #31

Weasyl
    Eminoxic
    The first forum I felt part of, was a forum I made myself. Ended up with around 200k members so I felt at home, since there was always something fun going on. First site I felt a part of was probably PlanetNamek, really old Dragonball Z website. I used to live off Dragonball Z, lol.

There were a couple all around the same time (1997-1998)
    one was called The Dragon's Lair, it was a browser based chat
    then there was The Werewolf Page. It was about werewolves, ostensibly
    The Official Unofficial 2Pac Site was about gardening, officially
    Lycanthrope.Org, Werewolf.Com and Were.Net probably count as well
    Those sites were about computer geekery and fringe political beliefs
    unfortunately I'm only half joking about that last bit
    in hindsight it's astounding how uncreative the domain names/themes were

Weasyl
    AJ
    The first website I called home... Had to be Gaiaonline. But only back when I knew it as Go-Gaia. Man I miss those days so much... I guess the only reason I loved it so much was because I was so ignorant and little, around 12-13 years old... I loved to "roleplay" there if you could call it that when I barely could type English. lol But man, I do miss those carefree internet hang out days...

a little site called pkmn.net
    it took me a while to get into it and i caused a lot of drama because i was like, 13 so i became infamous
    then i calmed down and have a few good friends on it im so glad :3c

Weasyl
    Flygon
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiz View Post
    I guess Simon Wai's Sonic 2 Beta forums (now Sonic Retro) and Sonic World forums (now defunct).

SWS2B used to have a pretty cool community of people, but some staff changes happened among other things that left me with a bad taste in my mouth so I left, plus the drama started getting obnoxious.
    Funnily enough, one of the earlier communities I tried to become active in was SWS2B. Of course, I fell quickly into the Pending Approval ditch after my 30 posts. Then my 20 posts. Then several months later, I got randomly approved.

I can completely understand how you have a bad taste in your mouth, though.

But it most certainly isn't the first website I felt a part of, that honour would have to go to MFGG. Despite me being an utter idiot, and also quite immature (I registered there around October 2006, so, I was just 14 at the time), but over time, I grew quite attached. But like all good websites, it hit it's inevitable decline. So, I am not active there anymore.

The first website that made me feel important, however, was TASVideos. But there's a good reason I bailed as a staff member early. So... a few bitter mixed feelings there, one could say.

Other than that, not much else to extend to this thread.

AGNPH. No, not the current incarnation. I mean the original Alt.Games.Nintendo.Pokemon.Hentai newsgroup. Accessing it with good old Outlook Express! This was around 1999-2000 where I went from silent lurker to occasional commenter to art poster. The stars aligned around that time that Fox Kids started to air Pokemon in the Netherlands. Whie I wasn't super active at all times I felt very connected as the group was small. I still have great memories of those times.

Buuuuut if you want a specific website as basis then it would be DeviantArt. For a long time I really did care a lot about the site, went over it's forums and everything. Jark the Yellow Alien people, never forget.

Weasyl
    Rooc
    For me, it was a guild on Neopets; "Howl of the Wolves" (or something like that). It started out as a typical wolf/lupe RP but then it got into fantasy, and then it just..died off. It was so active for like two years and it was the most fun I ever had, and the users were the nicest people ever, but one day it just kinda puttered out, the members and admins appeared less and less, then one day the guild was just gone. All my feels, man.

Weasyl
    Zalcoti
    Quote Originally Posted by Mosr View Post
    Of my time on the Internet, I've never felt like a part of any forum or website that I've somewhat frequented. I am still looking for that special place where I can connect with others fluidly, and feel at home. I am hoping that the Weasyl mainsite will eventuate to that.

I'm the same way. The only one that gets close is deviantArt, but nobody even talks to me much on there anymore so meh. I do have a few close friends from dA though.
    Last edited by Zalcoti; 10-06-2012 at 04:03 PM. Reason: TYPOS

Weasyl
    tapeworm
    yeah, neopets. Even though I never really talked to anyone on there. I was really into making petpages and all that.

I used to be part of two Final Fantasy forums back when I was a naive, illiterate teenager. Well, I was just playing illiterate back then because all the popular members (even the head admin) USED TO TYPE LIKE THEY WERE ON A SUGAR HIGH TEEEE HEEEE OMGIGAWD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!X50 so I adopted their kink to fit in. After that, I used the Neopets forums to "cleanse myself" as you will by scolding the 12 year olds there for not using proper grammar (I actually became a feared force there for a while because of it). After that embarrassing phase, I drifted across various social networking sites until I saw an advert for this forum by Fiz and here I am.