Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
  1.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #11
    This is better for Site Discussion.

As one of the more recent mods/members, I can't really comment outside of what I've been told. I've done my best to bring a few non-furries to the site, and go out of my way to greet human/sci-fi/mecha/etc artists when I can. I'm also a musician trying to promote and push that part of the site further, along with Matt who also does music stuff. I did pick up sketching and it seems like I have a strong preference for drawing human/reploid stuff, a la Megaman. But that's just some basic sketching and all, I'm still part of the furry fandom no doubt.

2.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #12

Weasyl
    Fiz
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeitzbach View Post
    It can be said that the direction the mods and owner originally wanted did not follow the concept of the site then. The name and mascot really did butcher their attempt by quite a lot.
    Y'know I never understood people claiming that an animal mascot automatically means furry. Tons of things use animals as mascots. Cereal, sports teams, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeitzbach View Post
    It really did bug me that we barely had any human drawing mods actually. Like, Tiamat does and... who else...
    Myself.

Weasyl
    Toshabi
    Time to make some outreach programs.

Weasyl
    Zeitzbach
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiz View Post

Y'know I never understood people claiming that an animal mascot automatically means furry. Tons of things use animals as mascots. Cereal, sports teams, etc.
    But we had background knowledge on those and the picture on the cover is that of a cereal. Unlike cereal boxes, Weasyl might be a completely new thing that you have never heard of. The canvas is blank for people to paint.

You enter it, is greeted by a mascot followed by a whole front page of furry arts. The website is pretty much painting the image of a "furry site" into your head already and the mascot is the finisher. On the other hand, imagine if it was more like DA where we have separated sections for viewing different kind of drawing and the site force a human drawing/landscape to be the first tab that people will see (and if they want furry art, they can press on the next tab). It will have a completely different impact.

Myself.
    Your name keeps reminding me of Fizz so I completely forgot about that.

Weasyl
    Vae
    So, start making more non-furry art?
    I'm not trying to be the petty little personal attack nitpick, here, but I'm just going to say that your own gallery is full of furry stuff, itself. Your icon is an anthro.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't do what you want, and draw what you want, but there is some element to leading through example.
    I don't really have a problem with furries, or the site having furries. But I do upload quite a few humans and completely off-the-wall subject material, too.
    If you want change, it's a change you need to help along.
    Promote Weasyl to non-furries.
    Draw more non-furry artwork.
    It's not a shift that will take place on its own.
    Resident Koopa Trash

Weasyl
    Zeitzbach
    Quote Originally Posted by Vae View Post
    So, start making more non-furry art?
    I'm not trying to be the petty little personal attack nitpick, here, but I'm just going to say that your own gallery is full of furry stuff, itself. Your icon is an anthro.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't do what you want, and draw what you want, but there is some element to leading through example.
    I don't really have a problem with furries, or the site having furries. But I do upload quite a few humans and completely off-the-wall subject material, too.
    If you want change, it's a change you need to help along.
    I do upload more human sketches like "Natalie" on other sites some random social media, and that is where I try to promote Weasyl instead. My stuffs are gone from the front page in less than 3-4 minutes anyway and with a rather small amount of people really drawing it, we're going to be needing a lot more people unless there's a tool provided to help with that. When someone moves in, they will pretty much reupload 10-15% of their gallery and it's GG to front page considering the amount of furry to non-furry ratio.

I'm not surprised though that you would see and say that because I'm trying to make sure that the sketches and drawings on Weasyl are really "complete" and will no longer be worked on anymore (even if I do mention I will work on it later), hence the small amount of uploads. The recent colored drawing actually had something to do with a term project so I didn't have much chance to draw human nor properly finish their sketches. Until I'm done with semester, I'm stuck with 1-2 pieces finishes every 2 weeks so I better make sure I can use those.

Weasyl
    Dire Newt
    Sports teams and cereal boxes aren't immediately followed by MLP fan art and drawings of half naked foxes with big tits.

Weasyl
    Flygon
    Quote Originally Posted by Dire Newt View Post
    Sports teams and cereal boxes aren't immediately followed by MLP fan art and drawings of half naked foxes with big tits.
    Unless an external artist does it for you.

As for the situation itself? Buggered if there's any real ideas that could resolve the 'situation', bar some sort of 'furry filter'. Which isn't exactly practical.

9.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #19

Weasyl
    Term
    It'd certainly help if staff had the logistical capability of attending conventions and holding panels where we could introduce and answer questions about the site. Unfortunately a good deal of us have work and our own personal lives which makes it difficult for us to shell out money of our own pockets to buy a plane ticket, rent a hotel room, and spend a couple of days promoting the site in another city.

Now I understand a lot of people's concerns about the site when they first observe it. At first glance it appears we're a furry-only site specifically because of the sheer amount of furry artwork on the site. And we certainly don't begrudge that; we're more than welcoming of everyone's art regardless of genre/fandom. However some people have expressed being turned off by the prospect of joining the site either because they don't like the content or don't feel their work will be appreciated.

We do have some ideas of our own that will hopefully draw more artists to the site. These things are not exclusive just getting any specific type of artist to join the site, but moreso to help Weasyl gain a reputation as a champion for the arts in regards to consumption, criticism, and education. I can't get into specifics but there's some exciting stuff that we're hoping we can roll out in the near future that I think will really make Weasyl stand out.

Weasyl
    N/A
    I don't think it really matters if all the mods & admins are furries, or whether or not they draw humans, and "non-furry" art.
    I also disagree with forcing any particular gallery, or subject matter onto people- or the homepage.

A section, or category tab is a good idea though. Just don't overly categorize things like deviant art.
    (Causes too much clicking, and it will defeat the purpose of a filter and search option)

I also like the idea of featuring people and works -temporarily, monthly or weekly, and perhaps under each category.
    (If there's a "general" art agenda to be pushed, you could use that to get "non-furry" works noticed.)

Quote Originally Posted by Vae View Post
    Until minor updates are made to the main-site and community, no matter how much "non-furry" art you make, it won't matter if no one cares about it -or if it no one sees it.

There needs to be other incentives for people to join, especially "non-furs".
    (The place isn't entirely inclusive IMO, and it's often little things that add up)
    Last edited by MapleTerror; 04-13-2014 at 11:52 PM.