Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 201
  1. #101
    Senior Infestissumam's Avatar
    Weasyl
    Infestissumam
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    stepping on the crowtche owf your americain presidaint
    Posts
    204
    It's being called a general art site but honestly it's pretty obvious it's not. Even from beta there was a stigma that Weasyl was the "new FA". That's what I had heard from everyone, anyway. The forums are starting to mirror FAF to make matters on that worse.

    The best solution is to not care, probably.

  2. #102
    ~Kupo~ Moogle's Avatar
    Weasyl
    N/A
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Canada Ontario
    Gender
    Posts
    1,142
    Quote Originally Posted by Infestissumam View Post
    It's being called a general art site but honestly it's pretty obvious it's not. Even from beta there was a stigma that Weasyl was the "new FA". That's what I had heard from everyone, anyway. The forums are starting to mirror FAF to make matters on that worse.

    The best solution is to not care, probably.
    I see nothing wrong with the forums here, though having never seen the forums of FAF I guess I can't compare the 2. What's it "mirroring", and what's wrong with it being like the other? I ask this not to be a smart ass or anything, I'm just curious is all.

  3. #103
    Premium User QT Melon's Avatar


    Weasyl
    QTMelon
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    1,478
    Quote Originally Posted by Moogle View Post
    I see nothing wrong with the forums here, though having never seen the forums of FAF I guess I can't compare the 2. What's it "mirroring", and what's wrong with it being like the other? I ask this not to be a smart ass or anything, I'm just curious is all.
    There are some general threads that are somewhat replicated here, but I've seen those kind of threads on other forums. It doesn't really feel much like FAF to be honest with you. Sometimes there are debates but nowhere near the same as FAF. There are times it acts similar to Concept Art's Lounge or other forums.

    So I'm not sure if myopia set in but there are similar forums I've seen from other art sites as well. Concept Art, Sijun, (CGHub before it died) and I believe even Eatpoo had sketchbook threads.


    I do feel a lot of the main site problems does stem from people running from one site to another, I did notice more people from DA posting at one point but it has definitely died down and looks like the last few months of FA drama brought others here.
    Last edited by QT Melon; 04-25-2014 at 10:32 AM.

  4.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #104
    Quote Originally Posted by Infestissumam View Post
    The forums are starting to mirror FAF to make matters on that worse.

    The best solution is to not care, probably.
    I'm sorry that you are not happy with the forums. What do you feel makes it like the more negative (I'm assuming) aspects of FAF?

  5. #105
    Example of the "fetish" box usage:
    Yes: Character licking another character's foot - Not quite PG13 so it would probably land in General.
    No: Character holding their foot after stubbing it on a table leg - Not meant to be sexual at all, possibly humorous, also General level.

    Yes: Character in a diaper, showing off the fact that they're in a diaper - Again, technically General level depending on how the artist portrays it.
    No: Infant being held by parents in a "family portrait" type picture - Doesn't get much more General than this.

    Yes: A morbidly obese blob continuing to shove food in their face despite the fact that were they real they'd have died years ago
    No: Someone with a bit of a tubby tummy

    The idea is to try and pare down the weird crap a guest or new user might be exposed to, that they would otherwise see due to being "technically" in the correct category. It would probably be uploader-defined like the rating system, so if something were miscategorized it would require staff intervention to prevent some random douche from fetishifying all of a persons art just 'cause.
    Last edited by Socks the Fox; 04-25-2014 at 03:27 PM.

  6. #106
    That's me! Hewge's Avatar

    Weasyl
    Hewge
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,364
    Infestissumam just likes mopin'.

  7. #107
    Banned Benny Bunnycorn's Avatar
    Weasyl
    Mugourth
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    138
    Quote Originally Posted by Socks the Fox View Post
    Example of the "fetish" box usage:
    Yes: Character licking another character's foot - Not quite PG13 so it would probably land in General.
    No: Character holding their foot after stubbing it on a table leg - Not meant to be sexual at all, possibly humorous, also General level.

    Yes: Character in a diaper, showing off the fact that they're in a diaper - Again, technically General level depending on how the artist portrays it.
    No: Infant being held by parents in a "family portrait" type picture - Doesn't get much more General than this.

    Yes: A morbidly obese blob continuing to shove food in their face despite the fact that were they real they'd have died years ago
    No: Someone with a bit of a tubby tummy

    The idea is to try and pare down the weird crap a guest or new user might be exposed to, that they would otherwise see due to being "technically" in the correct category. It would probably be uploader-defined like the rating system, so if something were miscategorized it would require staff intervention to prevent some random douche from fetishifying all of a persons art just 'cause.
    What about "Morbidly obese blob who is capable of deflecting strong punches and uses his body as a weapon, but doesn't have any real eating disorder motif that's seen in the drawings, but the character is still prideful of having a wrecking ball that's punch-resistant for a body?"

  8. #108
    Premium User MapleTerror's Avatar
    Weasyl
    N/A
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    103
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Bunnycorn View Post
    What about "Morbidly obese blob who is capable of deflecting strong punches and uses his body as a weapon, but doesn't have any real eating disorder motif that's seen in the drawings, but the character is still prideful of having a wrecking ball that's punch-resistant for a body?"
    Then it wouldn't be erotic fetishism?
    It all comes down to subject matter, portrayal or emphasis, and content ratings.

    Quote Originally Posted by Socks the Fox (SHORTENED) View Post
    Example of the "fetish" box usage:
    Yes: Character in a diaper, showing off the fact that they're in a diaper - Again, technically General level depending on how the artist portrays it.
    No: Infant being held by parents in a "family portrait" type picture - Doesn't get much more General than this.
    Great examples btw!

    I like Sock's idea of a check-box, or categories to differentiate works under different ratings.
    Perhaps add an extreme content rating or maybe a default black-list?

    Black-listing is helpful, but it can be slightly problematic, and a chore. If any of this is taken into consideration.
    People who want to see certain content, should be allowed. However give everyone else the option to be opted out, by default. Things don't have to be repressive, but we should be considerate of others as well.

    It's a win-win for everybody, yes?

  9. #109
    Senior Infestissumam's Avatar
    Weasyl
    Infestissumam
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    stepping on the crowtche owf your americain presidaint
    Posts
    204
    Maybe the forum's changed a bit since I stopped using it regularly. There's noting particularly wrong with the forums itself, rather I found it difficult to comment on most topics (save for a few) without someone deciding to try being argumentative, and it gave off a nice elitist vibe from certain people. I think when FA had that purge or whatever it brought a lot of the garbage from FAF here with it. Could be different now, though.

    I don't really mope, Hewge. I'm just cynical and sardonic. I had thought this community would have at least been friendlier than it ended up being, and I was disappointed. However, that is a perspective that's two months old. I am guessing the forums are at least a bit nicer now.

  10.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #110
    The Lurking Wolfox Hendikins's Avatar

    Weasyl
    Hendikins
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Sydney, Australia (usually)
    Gender
    Bloke
    Posts
    216
    Note: The post below is made in a personal capacity, not an administrative capacity!

    My two cents worth about the "fetish" discussion:
    * "If it exists, someone has a fetish for it". If you have a special fetish category, that statement basically renders it pointless - particularly given numerous people view anything furry as fetish and many of our users come from the furry community.
    * The prevailing attitude seems to be "I don't like that kink, so throw it in a fetish category so I don't have to see it". No. That's what correct tagging is for. Whether or not people tag stuff correctly doesn't change the fact that it's there for the purpose of finding (or blocking) specific content.

    As a moderator, I really don't like the idea of a fetish category for one simple reason - Moderation vs Editorial Control.

    Think of it this way: I'm making sure you're complying with the house rules, but it's not my place to tell you what you can and can't say otherwise. The former is moderation, the latter is editorial control. Moderation is good, editorial control is bad.

    For this to work you need clearly defined rules, and moderators who put personal opinion aside and moderate strictly according to those rules (and yes, I know, edge cases - but there's internal procedures to deal with those). This results in a great deal of transparency for the users because it's clear what is and isn't alright, and we soon hear about it if a moderator crosses the line. You also tend to have better relations between site staff and users.

    Subjective rules don't fit in with that, because you need to use personal opinion at one or more stages of the process - when determining the rules or determining the action to take. And when you introduce personal opinion, you're crossing the line and turning it in to editorial control. Not only that, but you're enabling sweeping that editorial control under the carpet.

    Why am I raising the moderation angle? Because guess who has to action all the tickets - and any "fetish" category would generate a whole heap of them but be of questionable benefit at best. "But it isn't deleting stuff!" you say. Sure, but it's still treating people who post stuff you don't like as pariahs.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •