Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 201
  1. #71
    Premium User QT Melon's Avatar


    Weasyl
    QTMelon
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    1,478
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeitzbach View Post
    I really don't like how most of the blame for having badly drawn porn and explicit furry materials are being placed on the users instead for having the filter on. For a general art site, there is really absolutely no tool to make it general. I know that is also up to us if we want to make the front page more general but the thing is, why is it completely up to us? A site is supposed to provide tools to help users get they want, not tell them "You didn't contribute enough, here's the middle finger and more furry cocks"

    I'm pretty sure one of the golden principles of HCI is that it should prevents error or limits error. Relying on General filter isn't going to work. You know how the majority of the members are probably from FA atm and you know how the filter there worked for them. Personal tag filter is unreliable. Notice how every mistake mentioned atm can only be resolved by "mods will take care of it". At least on general site like DA, they really separate arts into categories. Although people might not like it, it follows the golden principles and is a good example of a solution.

    Then there's also the fact that I bet people that draw mature and artistic nude general art probably won't enjoy the fact that their golden treasure will be hidden among all the herma anthro with penis as big as their body.
    Because what is being submitted is mostly furry. That is a user problem.

    Content filtering isn't really solving the problem if what people are submitting makes up the majority of the content. What, you make pretend submissions of general artwork when there's hardly any there?

    However, again this is a design problem, not content filtering problem. This part is actually the fault of the site/staff. There is nothing making things look like it's really an art site that's attractive to artists. It became word of mouth to be the alternative to FA due to history, (former staff, people saying they're coming here after FA drama...and related)

    I mentioned the now down CG hub, but you come in and know it was about art. You could also find classes and challenges within its site. The job listings also made it attractive to many users looking for work. (but you can see a screenshot of the layout here) http://lukeplunkett.kinja.com/cghub-...own-1562815363

    CGMA Academy - http://2d.cgmasteracademy.com/

    WIP Nation is an art site that tries to focus on helping others out http://www.wipnation.com/

    You have something like Drawcrowd - http://drawcrowd.com/

    You have the portfolio site Behance, which gets it and helps a user sort out content easily. Meaning it doesn't just host different creative work, it has on the first page categories to sort through for a photographer, illustrator, graphic designer.
    http://www.behance.net/

    I mean basically Weasyl's front page design is so lacking. It looks like looking at your watchlist/ or "msg/others" on FA and seeing boxes of people who watched you. I'm sorry but terrible design. It doesn't look like art submissions.

  2. #72
    Senior athdaraxen's Avatar
    Weasyl
    athdaraxen
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Gender
    Lady Dragon
    Posts
    137
    Quote Originally Posted by QT Melon View Post
    Because what is being submitted is mostly furry. That is a user problem.

    Content filtering isn't really solving the problem if what people are submitting makes up the majority of the content. What, you make pretend submissions of general artwork when there's hardly any there?

    However, again this is a design problem, not content filtering problem. This part is actually the fault of the site/staff. There is nothing making things look like it's really an art site that's attractive to artists. It became word of mouth to be the alternative to FA due to history, (former staff, people saying they're coming here after FA drama...and related)

    I mentioned the now down CG hub, but you come in and know it was about art. You could also find classes and challenges within its site. The job listings also made it attractive to many users looking for work. (but you can see a screenshot of the layout here) http://lukeplunkett.kinja.com/cghub-...own-1562815363

    CGMA Academy - http://2d.cgmasteracademy.com/

    WIP Nation is an art site that tries to focus on helping others out http://www.wipnation.com/

    You have something like Drawcrowd - http://drawcrowd.com/

    You have the portfolio site Behance, which gets it and helps a user sort out content easily. Meaning it doesn't just host different creative work, it has on the first page categories to sort through for a photographer, illustrator, graphic designer.
    http://www.behance.net/

    I mean basically Weasyl's front page design is so lacking. It looks like looking at your watchlist/ or "msg/others" on FA and seeing boxes of people who watched you. I'm sorry but terrible design. It doesn't look like art submissions.
    Just wanted to add that Wysp (http://www.wysp.ws/) is another fantastic art site. just to give more example of really wonderful, helpful art sites.

  3. #73
    Premium User QT Melon's Avatar


    Weasyl
    QTMelon
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    1,478
    I just want to add in each of those sites posted including the one above are good about displaying their purpose.

    Other than a mention that Weasyl is a general site, there is little to distinguish it on the front page. My laptop sees just the most recent submissions and little of anything else without having to scroll.

    That hurts the site a lot you barely see that it offers a critique and streaming section because they are buried by a very horizontal layout.
    Last edited by QT Melon; 04-18-2014 at 06:50 PM.

  4. #74
    Regular xarg's Avatar
    Weasyl
    xarg
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    97
    Quote Originally Posted by QT Melon View Post
    My laptop sees just the mist recent submissions and little of anything else without having to scroll.
    ...or click a bazillion times.

  5. #75
    Senior athdaraxen's Avatar
    Weasyl
    athdaraxen
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Gender
    Lady Dragon
    Posts
    137
    Quote Originally Posted by QT Melon View Post
    I just want to add in each of those sites posted including the one above are good about displaying their purpose.

    Other than a mention that Weasyl is a general site, there is little to distinguish it on the front page. My laptop sees just the most recent submissions and little of anything else without having to scroll.

    That hurts the site a lot you barely see that it offers a critique and streaming section because they are buried by a very horizontal layout.
    This is a good way to describe how I feel about the whole thing.
    If Weasyl is to be something that stands out it must actually stand out.

  6. #76
    Regular battybegins's Avatar
    Weasyl
    battybegins
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    South Texas
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    75
    This is just a suggestion from a newcomer, but I think all this site design stuff should be it's own thread. Not because it's off topic but because I think it needs more attention drawn to it. I think you're right about the site's design QT-Melon. There's a lot of potential here because it's run by great people but the design of the site seems really counter intuitive to me, and I barely know anything about web design.

  7. #77
    Regular Art Vulpine's Avatar
    Weasyl
    Art Vulpine
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    30
    Reading through all 8 pages of this, I'm beginning to wonder if this discussion is less of Weasyl being a general art site and more of the same song and dance I've seen about a general dislike of furries. From what I've read, there are comments not about what else can be here to promote other types of art but the "bad image" that furries will give to this site.

    Understand that this is nothing new as furries have been trying to adjust this image ever since their inception in the 1980s and especially from 2000 onward where social media and large art sites appeared. Being a fuurry is being part of another fandom that rather than likes a certain TV show or movie likes a type of art, namely humans with animal features. We cross the lines of cartoons, movies, comics, and other media and largely express our interest through art.

    So by perhaps filtering content so that it isn't whether a person can turn all furry art on or off and more like limiting art by level of maturity, then the "image" of the site can be maintained. And if you want more non-furry art, draw more of these things! The worst thing you can do is hang a sign on the front page saying "Furries need not participate" will be alienating a group and will be counter to the "General Art Site" philosophy.
    DeviantArt FurAffinity

    Imagination is the Source of Creativity!

  8. #78
    How do you get "furries need not participate" out of "smut and fetishes constantly slipping through is offputting" and "the website design leaves much to be desired" The furry doesn't even have to come into it, if those two things can be fixed it could probably go a long way to helping draw more people in.

    They are both legitimate concerns, and working to on them can help with the sights image cause like it or not, image is important, and these are two things that are being pointed out repeatedly that need to be worked on.
    Fish heads! Fish heads! Rolly polly fish heads! Fish heads! Fish heads! Eat them up! Yum!

  9. #79
    Regular Art Vulpine's Avatar
    Weasyl
    Art Vulpine
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    30
    I'm not lessening the concerns of having better maturity regulation and better design, as this would fix things easily. However, when I meant "furries need not apply" I was meaning that as a furry artist to remind that as you said the content regulation should be for all art not just furry art as the culprit.

    Perhaps making a Safe for Work option that is a default when a person visits the site and then give them an option to turn off the option so as to allow all content. I know Dailymotion has an Age Gate that no matter if you're logged in or not you can still use it.
    DeviantArt FurAffinity

    Imagination is the Source of Creativity!

  10. #80
    Regular xarg's Avatar
    Weasyl
    xarg
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    97
    Quote Originally Posted by Art Vulpine View Post
    Perhaps making a Safe for Work option that is a default when a person visits the site and then give them an option to turn off the option so as to allow all content. I know Dailymotion has an Age Gate that no matter if you're logged in or not you can still use it.
    That's not the problem though. There's already the rating for general art, mature art and adult separately, with general being the default. But inside adult there's vanilla adult, which is something you might see on late night TV, and then there's the fetish stuff. That's where a higher level of separation might be worth the while, because frankly the tag filter is not a good mechanism for new users or people who aren't already familiar with the quirks and kinks of the type of material they don't want to see. That's kinda like throwing all the material at the user and telling them to just not look at the stuff they don't want to see, which doesn't work that well with thumbnails being the foremost factor in deciding whether or not you want to look closer.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •