Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Do you consider yourself to be intelligent?

Its late, I am somewhat tired and all these strange questions are popping up in my head so before I go to bed I am going to ask them. One thing that I sometimes contemplate is my view on my own intelligence. It seems somewhat hard for someone to accurately measure their own intelligence. I don't really think I am a smart but I suppose I do think a lot, about the world, about myself, about religion, politics, etc. Sometimes I think I am down right stupid, I don't have the best memory, I often don't pay attention to stuff around me, I have trouble with math, I have bad memory *wink wink*. But I hear people say I can be witty, is wit a sign of intelligence? Or am I just an idiot who happens to have a somewhat high verbal intelligence?

I read that people with a particularly high intelligence often mistakenly believe their intelligence to be low, and people with very low intelligence often mistakenly believe their intelligence to be high. I think its called the Dunning-kruger effect. This is fascinating, and makes me question my intelligence even more. Am I smart for thinking I am stupid or am I stupid for thinking that I am smart because I think I am stupid

Anyways, what do you guys think? Do you think your smart? Or do you think you are dumb?

I also want to make it clear that I didn't make this thread as a way for people to call each other dumb or assert their intellectual superiorirty over each other its just something that has been going through my head and when I can't sleep because i am thinking about something I find the best way to get over that is to ask others what I am thinking.

Weasyl
    N/A
    I never thought I was any smarter than average when I was younger, but the more people I meet out in the world, the more I'm shocked at how dumb they can be.

I think sometimes when someone appears dumb, they aren't really dumb, they just aren't "thinking" at the time, or they are thinking something stupid (we all do it) but instead of catching themselves and editing it before they speak, they just blurt it out.

Weasyl
    Zeitzbach
    Depends on how you define "Intelligent"

Good memory? Fast learner? Straight A's? Those aren't exactly how I define an intelligent person.

To me, an intelligent person is a person that is always learning and adapting to the situation.

Do I consider myself one? Yes and No. I do learn and adapt but often I just go with the stupidest choice because I want to even if it gets me into one hell of a deep shit.

Thats interesting Zeitzbach. I like your definition of intelligence because its very literal and can apply to even animals, they also learn and adapt to the situation. Very cool. (ps I am being dead serious I hope this doesn't accidentally come off as sarcastic)
    Last edited by Groovy Salade; 04-12-2014 at 02:58 AM.

Weasyl
    Toshabi

Weasyl
    Clove Darkwave
    Quote Originally Posted by Groovy Salade View Post
    I read that people with a particularly high intelligence often mistakenly believe their intelligence to be low, and people with very low intelligence often mistakenly believe their intelligence to be high. I think its called the Dunning-kruger effect. .
    Dunning-Kruger refers to competence or skill, not intelligence, so it wouldn't really fit here. Besides, can you imagine someone like Neil DeGrasse Tyson thinking himself as low intelligence?

Intelligence is a nebulous thing, to say the least. But yes OP, I do think I am fairly intelligent. But if you ask me, I'd rather be thought of as wise.

Weasyl
    Hewge
    Wisdom is a lot better. Intelligence isn't much without wisdom.

Anyone can be smart - it takes a whole lot more to be wise.

Weasyl
    FlynnCoyote
    Wisdom can only come with experience, Intelligence can be learned if you are willing enough.

I would like to think I am reasonably intelligent and never make any claims on wisdom, but it has been pointed out and I am aware myself that I do tend to have an arrogant air at most times.
    We'll find a reason, or else realize that we don't need one.

Weasyl
    N/A
    I feel like it's kinda silly to call yourself intelligent because you'll look extra stupid when you make an honest human mistake.