Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Runefox View Post
    hey guys what's happen-...

As much as I can go on and on about this topic, I'm just staying out of it. At least, that's what I'm telling myself now.
    RELEASE THE KRAKEN...I mean please tell us your opinion.

2.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #12

Weasyl
    Fayv
    Guys, you don't have to think this thread will end well or will even be productive, but stay on topic.
    Please stop posting about how this is a thread dealing with a hot button topic.

Come on Rune, you often have really nice well thought out and concise things to stay (which is a bonus, I love it when a poster can usually say what they mean with very few words).

It's better than thread derailment at least.
    Fish heads! Fish heads! Rolly polly fish heads! Fish heads! Fish heads! Eat them up! Yum!

Weasyl
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by SirCoffeecup View Post
    bakesale
    Funny thing about that pic, it's kinda clever.

There's the idea that men get paid 25% more with the wage gap, which also happens to be a topic of controversy.

The problem with this idea is that it doesn't take invididual differences between people into account.

I'm male, my sister is in a management position, and every woman where I work is getting paid more than I am.

Weasyl
    N/A
    Just want to point out that the Bake Sale image is to show a point that women make less than men on average.

Context helps, you know.

Just saying, can we not cherry pick stuff?
    We all have our demons. If we're not fighting them, then we've befriended them.

Weasyl
    MakePupsNotWar
    Quote Originally Posted by XoPachi View Post
    I don't know where to get credible info on this so I'll just let someone continue with that or dismiss me altogether. But I've heard that laws have been petitioned and successfully put in place to protect men against rape and false rape accusations. But I heard that a while ago and don't even know how that would work.
    I haven't heard anything about that, but actually the laws regarding consent are heavily biased against men here in Oregon where I live. Basically, according to the law, a person cannot give consent if they are intoxicated above the legal limit, so if you have a few beers, agree to fuck somebody, and go back to their place, if you can prove your BAC was above a .08 at the time you actually had sex then you can just report them for raping you the next day. The part that's biased against men? If both parties are intoxicated, it is automatically the male party who is responsible. Yes, really, I learned this in a class I took first term. If a man and a woman both get smashed and have sex, the woman can still get the man arrested for sexual assault, and probably convicted too. I have no idea how the law works when dealing with homosexual couples though.
    Yeah? well, y'know...that's just like, your opinion, man.

Like Chess? Play with me! Just drop me a PM whenever you're down. I have a chess.com account, and I can also set up a game with you on lichess (no subscription process or login required) whenever you like.

I don't know where to get credible info on this so I'll just let someone continue with that or dismiss me altogether. But I've heard that laws have been petitioned and successfully put in place to protect men against rape and false rape accusations. But I heard that a while ago and don't even know how that would work.
    I think they work by punishing the person leveling a false accusation more harshly, and maybe enact some laws to make it so the accusation itself doesn't screw one over. (although I dunno if that would qualify as feminism helping men any)

I dunno about other sectors, but if you're a man in education, and someone accuses you of rape? You're tanked for life, it doesn't matter if you are found innocent, the spot is already there. I remember reading a story about a male teacher who ended up committing suicide because his life and career was completely ruined by a rape accusation.
    Fish heads! Fish heads! Rolly polly fish heads! Fish heads! Fish heads! Eat them up! Yum!

Weasyl
    MakePupsNotWar
    Holy shit, are you serious? That's pretty low.
    No foolin'. It's one of the many reasons I never go out with getting laid as an objective. The other ones being that I have a girlfriend, more people have STDs than you might think, and that I've never understood why fucking a stranger is so damn great.
    Yeah? well, y'know...that's just like, your opinion, man.

Like Chess? Play with me! Just drop me a PM whenever you're down. I have a chess.com account, and I can also set up a game with you on lichess (no subscription process or login required) whenever you like.

Weasyl
    pinardilla
    I'd hoped the forums wouldn't be so eager to stick their foot in it again so soon and let this thread quietly sink down into page 2, but here we are.

Regarding false rape accusations: Framing someone for a crime is nothing new, and it's a tactic available to both genders. To be the problem it's made out to be, it'd have to be uniquely effective when done by women. But, were I a woman seeking vengeance against a man, I cannot imagine a worse way to attempt it than by trying to frame him for rape. It's the one crime where there's a massive social backlash against the victim, and actual conviction rates for rape are pathetically low.

There's actually a backlog of 400,000 rape kits sitting in evidence storage around the U.S. untested, some of them dating back to the previous century. For perspective, when some of those rape kits were collected, we still had a World Trade Center. For at least one, the Berlin Wall was still standing. The police just don't give a shit about rape period, unless the victim is rich and white.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Conner View Post
    I haven't heard anything about that, but actually the laws regarding consent are heavily biased against men here in Oregon where I live. Basically, according to the law, a person cannot give consent if they are intoxicated above the legal limit, so if you have a few beers, agree to fuck somebody, and go back to their place, if you can prove your BAC was above a .08 at the time you actually had sex then you can just report them for raping you the next day. The part that's biased against men? If both parties are intoxicated, it is automatically the male party who is responsible. Yes, really, I learned this in a class I took first term. If a man and a woman both get smashed and have sex, the woman can still get the man arrested for sexual assault, and probably convicted too. I have no idea how the law works when dealing with homosexual couples though.
    Counterpoint: You wouldn't want the Steubenville gang-rapists to have a legal defense in having a few beers before violating an unconscious high school student as a group, would you?

I'll agree that it's probably best handled on a case-by-case basis, though.
    Last edited by piņardilla; 04-09-2014 at 07:05 PM. Reason: source added
         
       
    Now,
              let's go play, together...
       
    Together under the
                     clearest of
    blue skies.

Weasyl
    Tybalt
    every week a weasyl user makes a thread about how evil tumblr users are for respecting minorities

and within days it's locked

do y'all never learn