Thread: Adobe Photoshop

Weasyl
    Art Vulpine

Adobe Photoshop

Hello all.

I'm looking for an upgrade to GIMP and comparing other alternative art systems, one of them being Photoshop. The trouble is though that there seems to be many Photoshop products out there and it's very confusing for me to tell which one is the basic one and its price. I'm not looking for a very expensive one, just something that provides the basic drawing platform.

So, can anyone tell me what you use and how much it is?

Thanks!
    DeviantArt FurAffinity

Imagination is the Source of Creativity!

Weasyl
    avan_kaira
    If you're looking for another program, you could give Krita a go - I love the program personally, and its free & open source. v2.8 is compatible with windows too.

steam early access apparently does cost a bit, but its not going to break the bank if you go for it. You can also download the source and just compile it yourself if you have the know-how.

main site:
    http://krita.org/
    windows:
    http://kritastudio.com/desktop.html

If you're set on having an adobe product though, I'm less familiar with their product lineup, but aren't they mostly cloud based nowadays? (Software as a service - it runs on their servers rather than on your local machine, nice for companies, perhaps not what an individual consumer may desire, but it can be)

Weasyl
    Art Vulpine
    Yeah I'm not interested in cloud based programs. I'm looking for a program for my personal system.
    DeviantArt FurAffinity

Weasyl
    avan_kaira
    In that case I would probably suggest the older local-platform versions of photoshop if you were only looking for an adobe product.

Someone on furtopia's IRC suggested GIMPshop, which is from what I understand a version of GIMP made to be more like photoshop in UI (Disclaimer: I've never actually used it before, I only heard of it, and could be completely misunderstanding what they meant. Furthermore it means I have no idea how good it is.) - I figured this suggestion might help you since you already have experience with using GIMP.

I still personally stand by my Krita recommendation though.

Weasyl
    Art Vulpine
    Well I'll take a look at Kitra to see.

Thanks!
    DeviantArt FurAffinity

Weasyl
    marzipan
    The newest version of photoshop is only cloud-based which means you pay a monthly/yearly subscription to use it. You will want to find older copies of photoshop, CS2 is free I believe so that's the best place to start.

I second Krita though, very nice program! For what you are looking for, your needs will be met with either Krita or CS2 I think.

I still use Photoshop CS2, and works just fine. Adobe will still sell you a copy of CS6 outright, I think, and they're still available in stores. Renting the latest Photoshop was $20 a month, the last time I checked.

One word of warning about CS2, it's kind of tempermental to install on Windows 7 and up, but there's plenty of online help to get you going.

Weasyl
    Art Vulpine
    Update: Kirta has been downloaded and i plan to test it out soon. Thanks for the advice.
    DeviantArt FurAffinity