Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Weasyl
    pinardilla
    Last edited by piņardilla; 04-08-2014 at 04:29 AM.
         
       
    Now,
              let's go play, together...
       
    Together under the
                     clearest of
    blue skies.

Aaaand just got cheesed by the flagship's final form "superweapon", which is basically "THROW ALL THE HEAVY LASERS AT THEM". Was having an exceptionally good run with the Kestrel. Vulcan laser + flak I + hacking. Oh well. Flak and vulcan are both incredibly broken and hacking is simply too good to ever, ever pass up.

It helps a TON to max out your blast doors to keep fires from spreading in the event of a hack. Hacking is a really good way to shut down 4 layers of shielding in a hurry so that your weapons can go to town on their systems.

To any potential new players: do NOT be fooled by the use of the word "easy" in the difficulty settings. I assure you that the game will still be quite challenging on that level, and even as someone who considers themselves a moderately experienced player there is no shame in playing it on "easy". This game is absolutely cutthroat.
    Last edited by Tycho; 04-08-2014 at 05:03 AM.

Weasyl
    pinardilla
    Level 1 cloak dodges the superweapons nicely (going higher than level 1 is actually worse because you only need it for a few seconds to dodge and the extra cloak time just effectively increases your cooldown).
         
       
    Now,
       
    Together under the
                     clearest of
    blue skies.

In retrospect I should probably have spent less scrap upgrading engines, sensors and autopilot (gambling on blue-texts for special encounters isn't worth the scrap, in retrospect) and dropped some scrap on a cloak. C'est la vie.

as a side note, Rockmen are best placed in areas of the ship with poor access to venting (the pilot's seat of the Kestrel is a great example of a spot with terrible access to venting yet home to a highly critical system). I find a lot of the time the best answer to fires is venting the hell out of the ship unless your O2 has been compromised, your doors are compromised or your medbay is shot.

Also, am I the only one who thinks it would be interesting to give players the option to design their own ship layouts? I could see some really clever ideas coming from that.
    Last edited by Tycho; 04-08-2014 at 05:16 AM.

Weasyl
    N/A
    Maaan, you guys are making me wanna go play. I have 10 hours clocked from before so I might fire it up again.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
    Also, am I the only one who thinks it would be interesting to give players the option to design their own ship layouts? I could see some really clever ideas coming from that.
    I was kinda disappointed that this wasn't the case in the beginning of the game. I at least woulda liked to be able to strategically rearrange the ship's modules/whatever they were called.

Weasyl
    pinardilla
    I've seen mods that replace ships with custom layouts, but there's already quite a variety in the existing ships for a wide array of strategies and playstyles. Seems like it's mainly done to make god-ships to kick this game's unforgiving ass.

The system placement is deliberate for balance, too. Being able to rearrange them would make some ships OP.
         
       
    Now,
       
    Together under the
                     clearest of
    blue skies.

Weasyl
    Batty Krueger
    Quote Originally Posted by SirCoffeecup View Post
    I find it disheartening you didn't even bother to click the link in the OP before asking this.
    It took me two clicks to go to the store page, and one click to see screencaps.

Anyway, I'll try this DLC out. The user subbed screencaps look awesome, but I've never unlocked a new ship other than the first, asymmetric robot ship. Maybe this DLC will offer me an incentive to keep on trying!
    I could have clicked, but my tablet has issues with some steam related pages. I was simply asking a question in a topic adds to the topic I was trying to be a part of.
    And thanks for not answering my simple question.
    Last edited by Batty Krueger; 04-08-2014 at 03:47 PM.

Weasyl
    pinardilla
    I want to like the Mantis C so bad, but it's a little too RNG-dependent getting through Sector 1. There's just no counter for missiles.
         
       
    Now,
       
    Together under the
                     clearest of
    blue skies.

Weasyl
    pinardilla
    Quote Originally Posted by piņardilla View Post
    Hacking the medbay and then setting it on fire with enemy crew inside is hilarious.
    So I just found out tonight that you don't even need fire to make this work. A hacked medbay will damage crew trapped inside all on its own. A level 3 hack will kill even from full health.

It made for a hilariously effective honeypot in the flagship fight. I don't think I've ever cleared out the crew that quickly.
         
       
    Now,
       
    Together under the
                     clearest of
    blue skies.

Weasyl
    t_iii
    FTL is one of my favourite games on Steam, and I've been looking forward to the Advanced Edition since it was first announced. A really tough game to start with due to the random nature of events etc. but I think that's part of the fun of it and why it's quite an addictive game.

This last time around though I had an awesome ship and crew that I was pretty sure were more than capable of taking out the end boss (based on encounters from before the Advanced Edition)... only to encounter a Lanius ship, that managed to board my ship, mind control my crew, and suck all of the O2 out of my entire ship within minutes. You know those times when you could save your ships equipment/crew for future runs? Haha.