Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

FTL Goes Advanced

So, FTL has released a free patch/expansion DLC over Steam. Adds more encounters, a new race and ship, and some other things too.

http://steamcommunity.com/games/2126...94756731158442

Playing it, and so far one thing I can definitely say is different - it's even more difficult than it was before.

Weasyl
    N/A
    Eeeeeeeeeeeee

I thought FTL was fun but when I figured out how dice roll-ey it was, it kinda sucked some of the fun out of it. It's like it's decided from the beginning whether you're gonna win or lose or not.

Gonna try it out though, cos who can argue with free content?

Quote Originally Posted by Gibby View Post
    Eeeeeeeeeeeee

I thought FTL was fun but when I figured out how dice roll-ey it was, it kinda sucked some of the fun out of it. It's like it's decided from the beginning whether you're gonna win or lose or not.

Gonna try it out though, cos who can argue with free content?
    It is very much an RNG-dominated game. And as we all know, the RNG is a fickle god/mean bitch.

The expansion is great so far. One thing that did kind of ease up on the RNG nature of the game is that many stores have an additional page of content now. Which makes it more likely you will be able to get better weapons, crew, or that subsystem you always wanted. Also you can now unlock ships without having to find and complete those darn quests. Of course though they do this after I already unlocked all the base ships type except for the crystal cruiser.

My favorite thing so far has been playing the Lanius ship, having no oxygen in any rooms except the pilot seat, and then mind controlling enemy boarding crews. They will usually just run to the shield station, begin manning it, and then slowly suffocate.

Weasyl
    Batty Krueger
    Excuse my ignorance, but what is FTL?

Quote Originally Posted by Batty Krueger View Post
    Excuse my ignorance, but what is FTL?
    I find it disheartening you didn't even bother to click the link in the OP before asking this.
    It took me two clicks to go to the store page, and one click to see screencaps.

Anyway, I'll try this DLC out. The user subbed screencaps look awesome, but I've never unlocked a new ship other than the first, asymmetric robot ship. Maybe this DLC will offer me an incentive to keep on trying!

Some of the new encounters are, for the lack of a better way to put it, fucking MEAN. Also, the hacking drones some ships now carry are NOT to be underestimated in their ability to really ruin your day. I think this expansion has biased me even more heavily towards getting the drone control ability so that I can set up defense drones to shoot hacking drones down. Good shields are no longer enough. An "Easy" run with the Kestrel is now a lot trickier, and the Torus looks that much better now.

Weasyl
    pinardilla
    Apparently I just encountered two Engi ships fuckin'.

Yeah.
         
       
    Now,
              let's go play, together...
       
    Together under the
                     clearest of
    blue skies.

Weasyl
    pinardilla
    Got owned in stage 3 of the boss fight. It's extra bullshit now because he gets Hacking in stage 1 and Mind Control in stage 3. I didn't have a teleporter though, that was part of the problem.

Most of the new stuff kicks all sorts of ass. Clone bay owns, hacking owns, mind control owns, flak guns and vulcan lasers own. It's still not enough to beat this brutal game consistently with.

edit: I've yet to see or hear of anyone beating the new Hard difficulty (this game needed a Hard difficulty?). I've heard, though, that on Hard the flagship's weapon rooms are now connected to the rest of the ship.
    Last edited by piņardilla; 04-07-2014 at 06:30 AM.
         
       
    Now,
              let's go play, together...
       
    Together under the
                     clearest of
    blue skies.

I've come to the conclusion that hacking drones are absolutely the most useful new ship system available. Can completely screw over boarders, can render shields and weapons useless, and on certain ship layouts can render crews absolutely helpless to repel boarders or stop fires. Opens up a slew of interesting new tactics, and might even give the normally-useless fire weapons a new lease on life.