Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Weasyl
    Runefox

The Start Menu is dead - Long live the Start Menu!

I guess Ill have to give windows 8 another test run some time, to see if I still hate it...

Wasn't 8 the way it was because they were trying to make an OS that works both for er...tablets, and for pcs?

/very behind on the times
    Fish heads! Fish heads! Rolly polly fish heads! Fish heads! Fish heads! Eat them up! Yum!

Weasyl
    Runefox
    Yes; Basically, Microsoft was losing market share to tablets pretty rapidly so they set out to redesign Windows to cater to those devices. Unfortunately for everyone involved, tablets and touchscreens didn't take off quite as much as expected, especially in the business world. Where Microsoft was banking on it being the "new mouse", they didn't feel the need to spend time and effort developing separate editions of the OS beyond the RT/standard versions. Combined with their vision of one interface across Windows Phone, tablets, desktops/laptops, and Xbox, and you got Metro with no alternative.

Windows 8 was rushed to market before being properly polished entirely because of the slipping Windows marketshare, and we're seeing them refine it bit by bit to regain their lost momentum. Where Vista was rushed to market (after breaking out of development hell) and 7 improved on it in most every conceivable way, the same thing is happening with the incremental updates to 8, except the user doesn't have to pay for them. The upside for Microsoft in all this is, by focusing on touch/Metro, Surface was a relative success. The downside? VMWare and other virtualization companies are touting the ability to "run XP forever". With the business world clinging desperately to XP despite its loss of support, Microsoft may be moving too late. Now that XP's support has ended, they currently have no viable alternative for the business world, and they won't until they bring the Start Menu back. It's petty, but it's true.

4.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #4
    Weasyl
    Tiger
    YEEEES

Is there any way I could upgrade my Windows 8 laptop to the new one being released? (I know nothing about computer software)

Weasyl
    Runefox
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
    YEEEES

Is there any way I could upgrade my Windows 8 laptop to the new one being released? (I know nothing about computer software)
    It's an update to Windows 8.1; If you have Windows 8, you can upgrade to 8.1 for free by going into the Store app, and once the new update comes out you'll get it via Windows Update.

I don't think I'll even notice this. o.O;

I can count on one hand how many times in Windows Vista (Because 7 was an absolute piece of trash on my computer.) i've ever needed to hit the start button. Even on my new computer which is Windows 8, I've only ever hit the start button a few times.

I've been playing on computers since 95 as a small child, so the start button is pretty strongly ingrained into me. I feel lost and confused without it! Well I suppose if I was forced to do without I'd eventually adapt, but I don't adapt as quickly to new software as I used to

I can't really use smart phones either, cause just the way everything is organized is so different and clunky to me compared to a PC, it'd probably take me a while to figure it out...which is why I really didn't like 8. Normally when I do a computer upgrade I'm happy to upgrade to the most recent thing, but in this case (new computer last year), I just found 8 too difficult to navigate.

I guess actually, I may end up just skipping 8, entirely but be satisfied knowing that whatever comes after 8 won't be much like the 8 that I tried.
    Fish heads! Fish heads! Rolly polly fish heads! Fish heads! Fish heads! Eat them up! Yum!

Weasyl
    QTMelon
    8's OS is set up more clunky than most smartphone setups anyways. I mean it was just never ending scroll to figure out what you wanted to get to. Our office has supervisors using Windows 8 phones and the icons all look kind of the same, vs Android and IOS where you can see your apps pretty clearly.

I am still irritated at tech support constantly calling me at 3am in the morning when I've put my callback times in more than once in their system.

Weasyl
    Tiido
    Lack of start menu was really crippling to me when I had to test one program of mine in Win8 to see if I can clear up an incompatibility. I had to reach for the keyboard to do anything... I ended up making the desktop full of shortcuts that I would normally access from the start menu.
    The menu coming back is still not going to get me buy the thing (or pirate it) hahahahaha.

Weasyl
    N/A
    Simple and functional, like a GUI should be. It's surprising how much this update changes my opinion of Windows 8.

So MS have Outlook, Office, and Windows which are all pretty great things let's be honest. Now all they need to sort is Skype.