Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Weasyl
    Ley
    Quote Originally Posted by insanejoker View Post
    On the subject of structure: College is giving you that now, but what are you going to do when it's done and over? It's still going to be up to you to give yourself structure. You should start learning how to give yourself a structure now before you leave college. Your future bosses aren't going to sit there and give it to you. They'll give you deadlines.
    A deadline is an end point. Structure needs a beginning and end.

Quote Originally Posted by lorenith View Post
    Sometimes a deadline is all the structure someone needs.

Who's to say Ley isn't already learning to give themselves a structure?

College sounds like it's being a pretty good scaffold for Ley, some people have to take smaller steps at first on things like that until they get comfortable. I know I had to, I ignored one of my supervisors for a bit on the making sure I do things at my own speed, and I suffered for it. Once I started going at my own rate, taking smaller steps at first, I suddenly started improving in leaps and bounds instead of not at all. (which is kind of funny cause I was just fine teaching my students to go at their own rate, rather than rushing forward...it just took me an extra semester to follow the lesson I was teaching, and being taught by my supervisor)
    And its true.

College, in its rigidity of classes with peers, but with the added benefit of being treated like adults with professors close to your own age/masters in what they teach, teaches me how to build my own schedule/structure. Without college, I would have not.

The classes I take and the subsequent assignments I'm given are broken down in an easy to digest process. I wouldn't have learned that on my own. Now, large projects are not daunting. My freelance work and work outside of class have improved because of the principles I'm taught within class.

College doesn't teach just art, either. It teaches life skills- networking, presentation, research, accessibility, productivity. Not many things you can do on your own in the same amoutn of time.

Also, those who say art college is expensive- EVERY college is expensive. That's today's reality.

Quote Originally Posted by insanejoker View Post
    Why?
    Concept art requers knowledge of nearly everything and has way more then one technique you should master. You're supposed to make entire worlds in little time, ecosystems, creatures , anything and deliver it looking easticaly pleasing and the way your client wants it.

The big fat yes from me personally comes from the time/work thing, yeah sure you can go do concept art and not having done school, no question about that. But do you want to spend 4 years getting on professional level, or 10 years. Again, some people CAN actually get to pro level in 4 (or even 2 years ) but the majority of people don't have the 'iron mentality' to work their ass off into insanity to get there.

Weasyl
    QTMelon
    Quote Originally Posted by Ley View Post
    e amoutn of time.

Also, those who say art college is expensive- EVERY college is expensive. That's today's reality.
    Art College is outrageously expensive. That's the difference. Especially since many don't even have degrees in the field. The only time you need a degree in art is for teaching and overseas work.

As far as Concept Art it depends because there's many levels to Concept art, and again people who didn't go to college work in the industries, movies and games. So it doesn't matter. There was already a post about what concept art actually is. https://forums.weasyl.com/vbulletin/...ut-Concept-Art. As far as becoming or getting to a professional level it's going to take years anyways regardless if you go to college, so I'm not sure what you're arguing here.

There are schools where the first 2 years are foundational works.

Also, so what? You want to be an artist you should love what you're doing enough to do it for years, not moan about how long it takes.
    It has nothing to do with college in the end.

And I reiterate again, there are also alternatives to college course where you can actually deal with a live person. I wish people would stop with making it polarized to a "you can find everything online" vs "college" debate.

Moogle how far is this for you btw? http://atelierdebresoles.com/index.html
    Last edited by QT Melon; 04-04-2014 at 10:24 AM.

Weasyl
    N/A
    It's not overly far (6hrs & 30mins by train), but I think living near there or on campus (if you're able to live there xD) would be better. I've never done that before, and I also don't think I've got the cash for that as of now. The workspace in there looks like the perfect environment though!

Living on campus is a pretty big advantage in my opinion, but I really hate making commutes.

Or if you don't mind commuting find out how nasty the parking situation is at the places you look at. I had a 45 minute drive to my community college, and then another 15-20 minutes trying to find a parking spot anywhere withing a 10 minute walk of the campus, it really was not fun and needlessly stressful.

Just keep in mind, that that will likely add an extra cost to doing the whole college thing. For me it came out to cheaper in every way than living in a nearby apartment. But other places that might not be the case at all. It's kind of a nice way to ease into being out on your own though, if you don't feel comfortable jumping straight into renting and stuff, or can't afford to really furnish a place if you did rent.
    Fish heads! Fish heads! Rolly polly fish heads! Fish heads! Fish heads! Eat them up! Yum!

Weasyl
    QTMelon
    Just wanted to check because Ateliers tend to be a really good way to wet your feet and get something smaller and more serious.