Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    I also want to point out that just because you're learning something for free doesn't mean it's not right or wrong, or that it isn't valuable. Paying lots of money for something doesn't = instant knowledge or success.

EDIT (to Lorenith):
    Nor did I say that was about every art school out there, but it definitely is there and something to be aware of. I had teachers who did not fit what I said at all, but I had plenty that did. Kinda wish you would've seen that I recommended talking to the actual students to get a better idea of the school and classes, to get honest feedback instead of hearing everything from staff only. That's basically how you know if the teachers fit into what I said or not.
    Last edited by insanejoker; 04-02-2014 at 05:53 PM.

Weasyl
    N/A
    I'm pretty sure that it goes without saying that there are some shitty art schools. There's shitty anything schools but that doesn't mean that they should be ignored. It just means that more research should be done to determine whether they're legit or a flop.
    We all have our demons. If we're not fighting them, then we've befriended them.

I went and edited my post to explain myself better. Hopefully it fixes the 'not all colleges are like that' conclusion that people are getting, because it wasn't my intent to say every single college was like that.

I think we're basically in agreement joker: just saying things in different ways. Mostly you're more talking about all the things to look out for (crusty old teachers that have no flexibility, ick). And you're right those are things to be careful of from teachers, (and from other students too).
    Fish heads! Fish heads! Rolly polly fish heads! Fish heads! Fish heads! Eat them up! Yum!

Weasyl
    N/A
    Oh wow! Thank you so much for that Insane (& Lorenith - You make a good point on learning a wide variety, I didn't think of it that way XD), that was very informative! I'm really happy that I'm getting everyone's opinion on this. I may take that advice and ask some of the students that go there how they feel, and if they think the art program is worth it.

I'm aware that a lot of improvement is on the person themselves, I'm just trying to think of the best path I can take now to become better. Time isn't much of an issue, though for my parents sake and my own I think deciding now on what I plan on doing is for the best.

Weasyl
    Ruggy
    If you do go, I would have a 100% for-sure career plan you're going to follow afterwards, work while you're in school, bust your ass applying for scholarships, and do everything you can to make sure you accrue the least debt possible while you're there. I'm not sure how it is in Canada, but for anyone in the US and thinking of going straight out of high school, it might be worth it to wait until you file taxes as an independent. I could only get unsubsidized loans for the first several years of college, and only started getting grants and subsidized loans when I filed as an independent.

I went. It was a valuable experience, and I'm not sure if (with my personality type) I would've sought those kinds of experiences elsewhere. It did make me a better artist.

I am also now accruing $8 a day in interest on the loans I had to take out to go, and that's after refinancing. Had I known then what I know now, I don't think I would have gone. (Or if I had, I would've double-majored in computer science instead of education, as my personality is far more suited to being behind a computer than in front of a classroom.)

It does not feel worth it in retrospect, to me. But everyone's got their own goals and paths.
    Formerly gorgonops. I do art-type stuff.

Weasyl
    QTMelon
    All I know is that the ones that worked their butts off made it regardless of college.

If you are willing to pay for experience I guess go for it but as I said it has become much more in diminishing returns in the last few years.

Quote Originally Posted by QT Melon View Post
    All I know is that the ones that worked their butts off made it regardless of college.

If you are willing to pay for experience I guess go for it but as I said it has become much more in diminishing returns in the last few years.
    So much this.

EDIT: One of my fav artists on dA, http://nebezial.deviantart.com/ is purely self-taught. NEVER went to art college. Ever. He didn't have online tutorials in his day, and he states in one of his 'how to become a better artist' type journals that there is literally no excuse you can't be self taught as well, as there are loads of information out there for free today.

Quote Originally Posted by QT Melon View Post

I don't think anyone is denying that you can be successful without college and that in many cases it isn't always the best path to take, some people have very little to gain from going to college, but other people have quite a bit to gain from going.

Going to art college isn't paying for experience only. There's lots of things that come with it, peers, instructors, easy access to good image libraries, work space..and learning lots of other things only relevant if you want to be an artists that puts their works into shows and has an actual physical gallery.

I do think that if it's a thing in Canada, that Moogle should probably do community college before trying a university. It's cheaper, and the classes are generally smaller. It may be that college isn't right for you, and it'd really stink to pay several thousands of dollars on a semester only to realize that it doesn't work for you.
    Fish heads! Fish heads! Rolly polly fish heads! Fish heads! Fish heads! Eat them up! Yum!

Weasyl
    Doggywolf67
    to all of this I would add this little point. I got my bachelors and found that it was not enough for the job I wanted.
    I then got a studio masters in painting and add to that a studio masters in drawing. when I went to look for a job I sent out 650 letters and resumes. I tried for almost a year to get a job and found that for ever single position that opened up there were over 5,000 applicants!
    I now work as a field engineer in electronics! I have twenty some years into the current job so I will not be competing with you for the openings. I had $800.00 a month student loan payments and a wife and child so I had no choice. I still do a little art but not like I once did.