Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiracuils View Post

Adobe Flash: Okay so I've never done it personally, but I've known people who for some reason, swear by it to do their lines in
    Probably because it automatically smoothes everything you draw, its like your phones auto correct with line work, sometimes its a pain in the butt, but other times fantastic

Weasyl
    QTMelon

Weasyl
    Antumbra
    I personally like Corel Painter because of the options. I can make it feel more like traditional inking or if I want the line to smooth out slightly, I can increase the damping in the brush options.

I've used photoshop before, but there aren't many options with it. I'll sometimes do touch ups in it, but not the entire piece.

Never tried Illustrator, but my job as a graphic designer makes me loathe that program. Loathe........

I've never tried inking in corel...but then again I gave up on it once it became clear that it was such an unstable butt.

It sealed the deal for me when I found out the one of the prof illustrators I watch and his peers avoid it if they can because of stability issues and general buggyness. I figured if it's too much of a hassle for people who make great art as their job, it's too much of a hassle for me who does it as just a hobby.

Which is a pitty cause it was pretty fun to paint in it on the rare occasion it wasn't breaking...

I suppose I should actually describe in more detail what I do other than "just doing it"

Like Sammancha I just use a hard brush in photoshop, with pressure sensitivity turned on, so the size of the brush varies a little bit. I'll clean up any stray lines that add nothing, then use my eraser to change their shape a bit, or draw over them a few times as well to make them thicker or change their shape.

Honestly though I hope to someday either lose the lines entirely, or have them fade more naturally into my artwork similar to Ian McConville or Purple Kecleon.
    Fish heads! Fish heads! Rolly polly fish heads! Fish heads! Fish heads! Eat them up! Yum!

Weasyl
    Antumbra
    Quote Originally Posted by lorenith View Post
    I've never tried inking in corel...but then again I gave up on it once it became clear that it was such an unstable butt.

It sealed the deal for me when I found out the one of the prof illustrators I watch and his peers avoid it if they can because of stability issues and general buggyness. I figured if it's too much of a hassle for people who make great art as their job, it's too much of a hassle for me who does it as just a hobby.

Which is a pitty cause it was pretty fun to paint in it on the rare occasion it wasn't breaking...

I suppose I should actually describe in more detail what I do other than "just doing it"

Like Sammancha I just use a hard brush in photoshop, with pressure sensitivity turned on, so the size of the brush varies a little bit. I'll clean up any stray lines that add nothing, then use my eraser to change their shape a bit, or draw over them a few times as well to make them thicker or change their shape.

Honestly though I hope to someday either lose the lines entirely, or have them fade more naturally into my artwork similar to Ian McConville or Purple Kecleon.
    I've been a bit lucky with the bugs. I have heard some people having issues, but I only experienced something on my old computer. It wasn't too bad, I just had to do Save As instead of normal Save. It is pretty good on my current PC.

Weasyl
    QTMelon
    I haven't had much instability with Painter X3, older versions were definitely an issue. I'm in fact trying to remember the last time Painter crashed on me, which was ironically less than PS CS6.

I usually save in its native format Riff, until I'm ready to do other work needed in PS then I'll save a copy as PSD.

I did have an older version, I have to admit I have trouble letting go of biases against software that couldn't even run long enough for me to just experiment with the tools without crashing or acting up in other annoying ways, it wasn't new when I got it back around 2008 or so (moms partner gave me her old copy), so I probably should give a newer version a second chance.
    Fish heads! Fish heads! Rolly polly fish heads! Fish heads! Fish heads! Eat them up! Yum!

Weasyl
    JackalTeeth
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiamat View Post
    Absolutely. Few things teach you better control than traditional inking.
    ^^^ This, definitely.

Also, I use SAI for inking generally. I'll color traditional inks every now and then, though! I haven't had much experience with inking in any PhotoShop other than Elements, and I greatly dislike using that program from anything other than editing digital works and photos. The brushes are too "fuzzy", even for non-crisp standards.
    Illustrator I would ink by hand with a brush, I really dislike using the pen tool and those goddamn anchors.

Quote Originally Posted by QT Melon View Post
    I guess I am old school where it actually bothers me with people's over obsession with clean crisp lines that the digital age can offer. I actually like my lines having something erratic to them when appropriate. I learned traditionally it's why I still stick to painter because I haven't seen varieties in inking in other programs, other maybe than Art Rage which is still limited. I have used about every program mentioned and even have tutorials on how to use some of them.
    oh man, Painter has the most boss inkts. I don't know why it is, its like the AA is just 'right' enough to make it work. Sadly enough I didn't feel like paying that much money for an inkt only program, I can't stand anything else in it.

And you're so right, this is what I'm trying to get back into my art without making it 'odd'
    so far no success .-.

Weasyl
    QTMelon
    I dunno, once I created my own custom brushes I have little problem with using Painter for many things. I love the artists oils and my main brushes are digital watercolors. I tend to give out custom brushes quite often and explain why I made them and how I use them including how I do my strokes, because people may be heavy handed and others may use a different kind of stroke economy.

But I apologize if that's a bit off track.