Weasyl
    Antumbra

Trying Some Things, Critique Please!

I really like the second image over the first one, but I feel like both of them could benefit from darker shadows or a more contrasting highlight colour (especially the first one). It also seems like your light source isnt consistent amongst the whole picture (which I am also guilty of ). I think its really just a bit more practice with the lights and darks, perhaps a using a colour wheel to mix/ create your shadows would help rather then simply darkening the tones.

Also the dogs anatomy is not really correct or natural looking, mainly in the front legs. I notice the most in the leg petting the pup, it looks stretched and very awkward/uncomfortable. The other one is just curved in an odd way but looking at a few dog ref's should help fix those issues.

3.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #3
    Going to second Sammacha here, darker shadows definitely need to be in play. What's bothering me the most is how washed out the tail looks in the second picture. I understand the light source is shining more directly on it, but it looks like an incomplete piece of the picture and is probably a major cause of the "flat" feeling you're getting. I think one thing a lot of people struggle with in coloring is that our minds, for whatever reason, don't seem to understand how much contrast there is around us every day. Hold up your forearm at an angle to a light source and see what a stark difference there is between where the light hits, how it fades, and how dark it gets. You definitely get that in some places, especially with the breasts as they have good dimensional depth! But, the right thigh could stand to have some more gradual blending, as well as bringing the tail up to par.

Weasyl
    Antumbra
    Thanks for the crits! My old professors in college used to get on me to push my lights and darks, looks like I need to push on it more.

Also totally agree on the dog anatomy. I tried doing a hybrid anthro/feral looking dog and then started making it toon-y and then got away from it. In the end, it ended up as a small disaster.

Thanks again!