Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Weasyl
    JackalTeeth
    Quote Originally Posted by avan View Post
    General reactions were along the lines of 'oh hey, thats cool!' - people really love the fursuits though, sometimes to the point of believing they were made by some company >.> (got accused of lying once because i wasnt believed..)
    I've gotten this before too! Also people being completely blown away that artists hand make them on commission.

Quote Originally Posted by Bri Mercedes View Post
    A small aside: Furry should refer to your interests, not lifestyle or identity. It's like revealing to someone that you play Pokemon. Try not to find your identity in your fandom, it's not healthy.
    this^
    I'v seen a few of the so called 'coming out' things I just have to facepalm and hold back from ranting.

I do consider myself a furry, I don't suit or do any activities like cons tho. But that might change in the future who knows.
    I'm pretty sure my friends know, its not something you have to tell. And if people don't know the therm then that's even better, I just say I draw anthro's or 'Fallout like stuff and weird creatures' but people in general don't pay attention, usually you'll end up 'that person that draws'.

Most people view me being a furry as simply one of my interests such as my interest in science fiction and in no way have an opinion one way or the other about it. I hope that people don't ever encounter someone who is "disgusted" or "shocked" that you are a furry.

Last edited by Kringg; 04-16-2014 at 05:51 PM.

Weasyl
    Klavi
    Almost every friend whom I've told at this point is cool with it, because usually after telling them I make sure they know that (1) I am not part of "that" group of furries, and (2) that "that" group is a smaller percentage of the fandom as a whole. (Not bagging on "that" group in any way btw. We all have our fetishes, long as you're not practicing zoophilia.)

Most of the people in my group of friends use the internet enough to where they're somewhat desensitized to all the weirder stuff in it, so I don't really get a strong reaction out of anybody, as long as they're, erm, knowledgeable enough.
    soundcloud.com/klavierr
    klavierr.tumblr.com

Weasyl
    Batty Krueger
    Quote Originally Posted by Bri Mercedes View Post
    A small aside: Furry should refer to your interests, not lifestyle or identity. It's like revealing to someone that you play Pokemon. Try not to find your identity in your fandom, it's not healthy.

I consider myself furry since I'm an illustrator that prefers drawing anthros and I build costumes. Anyone I show my art and costumes to (friends, family, strangers, old people) think it's cute! I think it's all in the way you talk about the furry fandom that turns people on or off. "I'm a furry" usually makes people think of the horrible stuff, whereas "This is what I draw/write" helps people appreciate you! :3
    Im a lifestyler and I'm perfectly healthy. My whole life doesnt revolve around furry but most of it does. 90% of my friends irl are furries, my husband is a furry, and my roommate is a furry, most of my shirts are furry related, I go to as many cons as I can, own a fursuit that is my favorite possetion, have furry art all over my walls. For me its more than a hobby, so I guess its a lifestyle considering all those facts.

Most of my friends think it's some sort of subconscious sex with animals thing, whenever the topic comes up. I just sigh, say nothing, and keep drawing what I want my fursuit to look like.

Weasyl
    BerlinKatze
    I don't think they care. They do think I am kinda weird but they accept me anyway. And even though they aren't furries, they love my art and my fursonas.

Weasyl
    Toshabi
    Why does furry seem to be the only HOBBY/INTEREST where people knowing about it is a legitimate issue?

On topic, they ask questions when they see all my blow up furry dolls on my bed and my assortment of hug pillows of my favorite yiffs on my sofa. My boss also asks questions as to why I insist on wearing a tail to work. Mind you, he has the nerve to ask me this while he's wearing a bluetooth ear piece. Ugh, some people are just so closed minded.

Weasyl
    Zeitzbach
    WHAT A BULLY THAT BOSS IS.

Fursecute, I say!