Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Weasyl
    sassySloth
    Quote Originally Posted by Loukas View Post
    I don't draw or suit or anything, I'm just a watcher. But I had a tumblr once where I reblogged tame stuff and my friends discovered it because I accidentally messaged someone with it. Two of them poked fun at me for it and it freaked me out so I never talked to them again. I'm so alone.
    Hmm word.

It's true that being a furry is as awkward as you make it sound but at the same time people are going to have their own reactions to you telling them. A friends could get angry, feel betrayed, or whatever no matter how casually you inform them that you're a furry.
    Watch me swooce right in.

Weasyl
    MakePupsNotWar
    Not a soul knows except my girlfriend and the people I meet through the fandom. I'm sure my friends wouldn't give a shit, they'd just tease me a little from time to time, which we always do to each other anyways. My lady is super into it, in fact I wound up turning her into a total commission whore just like me after I helped her make up her fursona and then got her a first commission as a gift x3
    Yeah? well, y'know...that's just like, your opinion, man.

Like Chess? Play with me! Just drop me a PM whenever you're down. I have a chess.com account, and I can also set up a game with you on lichess (no subscription process or login required) whenever you like.

Weasyl
    TaoNeko
    I've tried telling my friends and showing them before, what a fursona is and why I have one, and they just looked at me like I was some freak and just ignored me. It hurt my feelings that they didn't really accept that part of me, but they weren't my friends for long after that.

It was kinda the same way with my boyfriend and current mate, who when I first told him about it, he thought it was strange, but actually listened to what I had to tell him to understand. After a while he grew used to it and wanted to broaden himself in the furry community. I'm just glad I have him to include with this part of my life. My family doesn't really know about it though.

Weasyl
    Monster Tamer Billy
    Consider where I'm from, over there in the left. This is a country seriously underdeveloped in many things, internet being the main one. To the point that by popular opinion, if it's not on Facebook or Twitter, it mustn't exist :v Wish it was an exaggeration sometimes.

So whenever I'm spotted browsing furry stuff, I just go by with half-truths, and everything's peachy. My 'sona is my character, I'm a writer, in a circle of other artists. And usually that's when casual conversation ends. While we do have a small community in my country, it's so rare and unknown to people here that catching anyone browsing anything furry-related acts like a secret handshake XD Only someone from the middle would know~

Oh yeah, consider also that the normal citizen from here is also uneducated (blame poor/uncaring government for that). As in, they only know portuguese, their main language... And that's it. To the point that anything internet-wise here is pretty much a country-wide intranet Everyone's virtual activities are blissfully ignorant of anything happening outside our borders. That's why getting away with those half-truths is viable here.

Weasyl
    StripedPan
    About maybe two or three of my friends know, along with my boyfriend and some family. Family wasn't too happy, but I honestly couldn't care less what they thought. Friends were pretty okay with it, we went to some conventions together and my friend actually ended up helping me buy my first tail! One of them didn't really understand and/or thought it was weird, but now she doesn't care. Boyfriend thought it was totally fine since he was into some of the fandom as well. He's happy that all I do is draw and craft some suit parts, cause he thinks that the more "adult" aspect of being a furry is somewhat odd, but that's totally fine with me. c:

Weasyl
    Bri Mercedes
    A small aside: Furry should refer to your interests, not lifestyle or identity. It's like revealing to someone that you play Pokemon. Try not to find your identity in your fandom, it's not healthy.

I consider myself furry since I'm an illustrator that prefers drawing anthros and I build costumes. Anyone I show my art and costumes to (friends, family, strangers, old people) think it's cute! I think it's all in the way you talk about the furry fandom that turns people on or off. "I'm a furry" usually makes people think of the horrible stuff, whereas "This is what I draw/write" helps people appreciate you! :3

Weasyl
    MakePupsNotWar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bri Mercedes View Post
    A small aside: Furry should refer to your interests, not lifestyle or identity. It's like revealing to someone that you play Pokemon. Try not to find your identity in your fandom, it's not healthy.

I consider myself furry since I'm an illustrator that prefers drawing anthros and I build costumes. Anyone I show my art and costumes to (friends, family, strangers, old people) think it's cute! I think it's all in the way you talk about the furry fandom that turns people on or off. "I'm a furry" usually makes people think of the horrible stuff, whereas "This is what I draw/write" helps people appreciate you! :3
    That's an excellent point, Bri. That's really why I don't bother telling most people I'm a furry, because it's not really that pertinent to my self. If they happen to find out then cool, that's alright. Making it seem like it's your secret identity or something, and that your entire personality revolves around the fact that you find animal people aesthetically appealing, it tends to put most people off.
    Yeah? well, y'know...that's just like, your opinion, man.

Like Chess? Play with me! Just drop me a PM whenever you're down. I have a chess.com account, and I can also set up a game with you on lichess (no subscription process or login required) whenever you like.

Weasyl
    sassySloth
    Quote Originally Posted by Bri Mercedes View Post
    I'm aware, and it's not how I carry myself as a fur. I only tell friends I'm a furry to be upfront with them and to disambiguate. I'd rather I tell them casually than have them find out on their own and come to wrong conclusions.
    Watch me swooce right in.

Weasyl
    N/A
    A lot of my friends don't care and most of them don't even know what the fandom is. I've kinda moved past fursuiting, but occasionally I'll suit while out with them for a laugh.

My girlfriend doesn't care too much for it, though. She thinks it's weird but she knows I'm not one of those furries, so she's cool with whatever floats my boat.
    Last edited by Lunar_; 04-06-2014 at 03:51 PM.

Weasyl
    avan_kaira
    Never had any problems - but then again its not something I make a big deal about. Found a few other furs among my friends (And made my sister a furry). Our parents never minded (and have been somewhat supportive), except for dealing with me transporting a large number of fursuits & faux fur around to their house when i visit for a long stay.

General reactions were along the lines of 'oh hey, thats cool!' - people really love the fursuits though, sometimes to the point of believing they were made by some company >.> (got accused of lying once because i wasnt believed..)
    Last edited by avan; 04-06-2014 at 04:05 PM.