Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Weasyl
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Rilvor View Post
    Nevermind that Sony as a company does not actually have the kind of funds people are suggesting here. They're walking on a glass ceiling that has been cracking, and whether or not the company is going to survive remains to be seen.
    this this this

Yes, Sony has money.

But it has sod-all compared to Facebook, especially when Sony's wallet is shrinking.

Weasyl
    Clove Darkwave
    Quote Originally Posted by XoPachi View Post
    Yes. If I recall correctly, the PS3 had them bleeding money like mad over the course of the generation which is why they've sold BUILDINGS and had to cut certain studios to try and make up for it.
    Other divisions of Sony are also crashing and burning, unfortunately Sony refuses to give up on those legacy departments.

Weasyl
    Runefox
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibby View Post
    Have you SEEN the waifu simulators, let alone what other tech going hand-in-hand with the OR is capable of? People would buy into that like crazy.
    No. Niche market. Not to mention the Oculus Rift had pretty bad display hardware.

Let's not kid ourselves. It's two displays, some accelerometers, and a head strap. It's not some super advanced tech; It's existing tech used in a novel way. Oculus might have started the craze, but I do doubt it would have been the best of the competition. I also doubt that many developers will ultimately sign on to develop for this stuff because again, it suffers from exactly the same problems that Kinect does. It's not an "if you build it, they will come" sort of deal.

Weasyl
    QTMelon
    Google glass looks lighter than the Rift. I can only imagine the smell of that thing from a gamer's sweaty forehead :<

Also from researching Valve is already developing their own?

Many campaign backers weren't gamers and we're interested in seeing the tech expand beyond just gaming.

The Rift isn't even a finished product and has problems even their own updates say as much.

They are trying to get a consumer end version that doesn't make people motion sick.
    Last edited by QT Melon; 03-26-2014 at 08:32 PM.

Weasyl
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Runefox View Post
    No. Niche market. Not to mention the Oculus Rift had pretty bad display hardware.
    Wasn't this improved by Valve fairly recently?

Let's not kid ourselves. It's two displays, some accelerometers, and a head strap. It's not some super advanced tech; It's existing tech used in a novel way. Oculus might have started the craze, but I do doubt it would have been the best of the competition.
    That's said about a lot of tech that ends up taking off in cool directions.

And Oculus - at this point in time - is the best of the competition right now, and it is the existing standard that all potential competitors will be trying to meet. The problem will truly arise if Facebook tries to monopolise this or something.

I also doubt that many developers will ultimately sign on to develop for this stuff because again, it suffers from exactly the same problems that Kinect does. It's not an "if you build it, they will come" sort of deal.
    Wasn't there a sale of over 75,000 development kits for the OR?

Quote Originally Posted by QT Melon View Post
    Also from researching Valve is already developing their own?
    Valve were working on their own VR, they ended up supporting Oculus for a while and made improvements to it. They then let their VR staff go to stay with Oculus. Oculus' staff and Valve's ex-staff are now under Facebook.

However there's a lot of conflicting information from different sources that both confirm and deny this so don't quote me on it. Knowing Valve, they'll probably cook something up anyway if that were the case.

They are trying to get a consumer end version that doesn't make people motion sick.
    As detailed here, these improvements have been made fairly recently.

Though I bet that Google Glass will win over Face Rift for the general consumer market for the same reason you said. Kinda like how people weren't keen on lugging around those giant mobile phones back when they first started.

Though that bit about a room with facebook's financial data plastered over the walls is odd. ITS LIKE THEY TRIED TO WARN US

Weasyl
    BrazenBull
    It's times like this that I'm glad to be somewhat of a luddite.
    Not that big of a fan of the vidya either.