Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Runefox View Post
    That's what I'm thinking. Backers are by definition investors - Were they consulted? If I were a backer, I'd be asking for my cut of the $2 billion.
    That's... Now how Kickstarter works...

Weasyl
    QTMelon
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy MT View Post
    Pah, that thing's too good for what Zuckerberg wants to use it for! Let's jailbreak it! Make it the R4 of this era!
    It's interesting when people make statements like that but I'm pretty sure most weren't going to buy it considering the support tiers on Kickstarter showed the cost of getting a prototype.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...-into-the-game

(It didn't even make the 2.5 million dollar goal according to the page but very close to it?)

It wasn't till you hit the 300 tier did you get an actual assembled development unit?

That is part of the problem if you think about it, is that it was still developing and sinking money into it, and looking at the updates, they definitely softballed the problem in their March 19th update. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...the-game/posts.

By Softball I mean they delivered the message that there's problems but its put in a way that is done to ease backer concerns about the issues of building such a device and development costs. I think that may be part of the problem why people now are having a hard time seeing or encapsulating what kind of costs are really going into this. They see a big number like 2 million and don't think about how that is going to be supporting more than just a VR helmet but investing in the tech, parts (which are more expensive due to it not being highly manufactured yet) and paying for the guys making the unit, because they have to eat and pay the bills ...like the cost of running the facility.

Kickstarter is not an investment firm, it's more closer to a pre-order campaign.

Weasyl
    Monster Tamer Billy
    Quote Originally Posted by QT Melon View Post
    It's interesting when people make statements like that but I'm pretty sure most weren't going to buy it considering the support tiers on Kickstarter showed the cost of getting a prototype.
    Well what I in fact meant by that was to "bend the merchandise into something that we want it to be". Which is why I use the R4 as comparison o:

Warez, free gaming and no-Nintendo-backing points aside, that thing was a poorsmen version of the iPhone about two years before Apple's commercial prodigy got that popular (and accessible). If you could work your way around around the pre-installed Moonshell, you could play MP3 and use it as a portable, easy-to-use image folder/viever. With DSLibris, you could read e-books on it. And an organizer, with an included web browser (gritty as hell but still workable), which was a big deal for the DS Phat. Also, for the artists here from 5 years ago? Colors! Most famous app for the R4. All of them started as homebrew freewares for the flashcards, before getting raised to legal software at the DSi and 3DS's eShop.

I say, if the Oculus Rift doesn't turn the way we're expecting it to be, we can make it happen again. With, so I hope, the same success to make the pirate warez an actual product eventually.
    Last edited by Billy MT; 03-26-2014 at 01:25 PM.

Weasyl
    Vae
    Fiance told me about this last night as I was going to bed, and ew.
    Ew ew ew.
    Of all the companies they probably could have potentially sold out to, Facebook was the best option?
    I feel bad for the backers, but I really hope this investment is just Facebook shooting themselves in the foot. Because unless there is a major mindfuck twist ending in this sad little tale, I guarantee you that they won't be making back the costs that they paid in the acquisition for a glorified advertising platform.

I hope another company picks up the concept and does give us an actual good VR gaming headset, though.
    I think the concept still has potential. Even if this particular situation went to hell in a handbasket.

EDIT: Also, I just noticed that this topic is in "Technology" and not "Entertainment" (which is where most videogame discussion goes.)
    I c wut u did ther. :v
    Last edited by Vae; 03-26-2014 at 01:29 PM.
    Resident Koopa Trash

Weasyl
    Toshabi
    I wonder why they didn't just sell out to Valve.

Weasyl
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Toshabi View Post
    I wonder why they didn't just sell out to Valve.
    Valve Time. They would have bought it when they were good and ready :v

Weasyl
    QTMelon
    I don't think the R4 is even a valid comparison given the technology the VR uses.

Also I believe if another gaming company invested in it, then it becomes political for the gaming market.

It is also facing competition from Sony, so this project would die because it doesn't have Sony's money.

Facebook is an investor. It has been hands off with Instagram for the most part. It hasn't removed or laid off the staff. It looks like they are continuing with the gaming approach and just want to see further potential in the future with expansion. It needs to pay off or otherwise it will still have a high cost to manufacture for the consumer end.

Every one has said the people making the Rift know what they are doing and now they are idiots?

Also have anyone expressing their disgust have actually tried the device or was it word of mouth greatly shown with this amusing blog http://whiteguyswearinoculusrifts.tumblr.com/

Weasyl
    N/A
    The Oculus Rift wasn't going to be successful in the consumer market anyway
    Have you SEEN the waifu simulators, let alone what other tech going hand-in-hand with the OR is capable of? People would buy into that like crazy.

Anyway, /v/ is going absolutely god damn nuts over this, as is pretty much everywhere else. Facebook has been trying to administer damage control since day one of the news' release.

Quote Originally Posted by QT Melon View Post
    It is also facing competition from Sony
    Project Morpheus is a console-exclusive piece of "innovation" that doesn't work well with the hardware compared to OR with the PC, all whilst not being open-platform, and not integrating with other interesting devices - just the PS4, a controller, and its motion sensing stuff.

Oculus is/was far more amibitous and its non-confined open-source nature meant that it could be applied in areas far more useful and far-reaching than just plugging into games console with immovable hardware limitations.

Oculus Rift has been used/tested for medical/theraputic uses - including amputees. Whatever competition that can be offered by Sony selling Morpheus as a mere closed-platform game peripheral is laughable.

9.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #39
    Weasyl
    Aden
    That's what I'm thinking. Backers are by definition investors - Were they consulted? If I were a backer, I'd be asking for my cut of the $2 billion.
    The Kickstarter agreement is that you're giving a gift to a company (yes, it's legally classified as a gift, not an investment, which is why you don't pay taxes on what you contribute [up to $14k iirc?]) and in return, the product gets made and you get one (and/or other perks). No other stake is promised.

Weasyl
    Clove Darkwave
    Nevermind that Sony as a company does not actually have the kind of funds people are suggesting here. They're walking on a glass ceiling that has been cracking, and whether or not the company is going to survive remains to be seen.