Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Weasyl
    Clove Darkwave
    Quote Originally Posted by AshleyAshes View Post
    Most of this is just 'The Sky Is Falling' stuff.

Firstly, no one's going to make casual games for a VR headset. The headset itself is a very specific piece of hardware, it's not going to attract the kind of games that people play for 5mins while waiting for the Subway to arrive. This is why there are no casual games for flight simulator or car simulator rigs.

Secondly, no one's going to ad support the thing, it's a piece of hardware that'll be sold at a profile while more profits are made by selling SDKs and developer support to devs. There could also be large revenues in selling the system at the enterprise level for use in affordable simulation systems for companies, municipal agencies and such.

This will most likely exist as a company UNDER FaceBook and operate fairly autonomously while accessing FaceBook's deep pockets to fund R&D.
    "But this is just the start. After games, we're going to make Oculus a platform for many other experiences," said Zuckerberg.

That's a nice dream you have there.

Weasyl
    Monster Tamer Billy
    So what are the choices? Oculus VR for Candy Crush, or Oculus VR for CoD/BF? Either choice, we lose

Wake me up when the actual danger of .hack or Sword Art Online is a reality, THEN gaming with those glasses on will be worthy our time |3

Weasyl
    Clove Darkwave
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy MT View Post
    So what are the choices? Oculus VR for Candy Crush, or Oculus VR for CoD/BF? Either choice, we lose

Wake me up when the actual danger of .hack or Sword Art Online is a reality, THEN gaming with those glasses on will be worthy our time |3
    Well, all pretend histrionics aside the big deal here is the lost potential. Facebook is about its user numbers first and foremost, it is not a gaming company.

Well, that and quite a lot of kickstarter backers might feel that sour taste in their mouth to know they funded a Facebook acquisition.

Weasyl
    Ibuuyk
    Facebook completely murdered the Oculus with that totally random and pointless purchase, Zuckerberg needs to stop buying whatever he likes >.>

Thankfully, Sony is working on Project Morpheus, which means Microsoft will announce that they're working on something similar next year, which means it'll still become the standard for gaming in the next-gen.

Thank you Oculus, your sacrifice wasn't in vain, the VirtualBoy shall be revived and we'll be one step closer to Swords Art Online!

Weasyl
    Batty Krueger
    My husband works in Irvine, its like 15 mins away from my house.
    Want me to put a flaming bag of dog shit on their doorstep?

Quote Originally Posted by Rilvor View Post
    "But this is just the start. After games, we're going to make Oculus a platform for many other experiences," said Zuckerberg.

That's a nice dream you have there.
    Simulation. Virtual tourism. Stuff like that. I realize you want to BELIEVE that their plan is to somehow make a bajillion dollars putting Plants Vs Zombies in a dedicated head mounted display and sell it to all the 'casuals', but that doesn't make any sense.

Weasyl
    N/A
    I dunno I think VR Mafia Wars could be a thing.
    We all have our demons. If we're not fighting them, then we've befriended them.

Weasyl
    Runefox
    Quote Originally Posted by AshleyAshes View Post
    Simulation. Virtual tourism. Stuff like that. I realize you want to BELIEVE that their plan is to somehow make a bajillion dollars putting Plants Vs Zombies in a dedicated head mounted display and sell it to all the 'casuals', but that doesn't make any sense.
    It also doesn't make any sense to market it towards the simulation community unless you mean corporate / government stuff. It won't get into the main stream if there's no reason to buy it.

9.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #19
    Weasyl
    Aden
    "After games, we're going to make Oculus a platform for many other experiences," said Zuckerberg. "Imagine enjoying a court side seat at a game
    I can't wait to pay more money for a worse view. Also, what, are they going to have a motion-tracking camera per viewer? Or just a big panoramic for everyone that won't respect non-rotational movement?

studying in a classroom of students and teachers all over the world
    Someone should inform him about the existence of computer screens

or consulting with a doctor face-to-face -- just by putting on goggles in your home."
    'Thanks, doc! I still can't believe you were able to diagnose this tumor just by me putting on goggles!'

I think this is a case of Zuck trying to buy up interesting companies before the core of Facebook stagnates. Which it will.

Weasyl
    Monster Tamer Billy
    Truth be told, SAO and .hack aside (as I mentioned), first thing I'd want to do with an Oculus Rift? A COMP. Complete with wrist-mounted keypad and aux display.

Anyone can whip up a fake demon summoning program? XDD