Help Me Choose a Monitor?

Hello Weasyl members, wondering if I can get some outside input on some monitors for my new desktop. It isn't store bought it's being built from the ground up and I'd like to choose a nice monitor to suite my gaming needs.

So here's the thing I want it to be 24" HD LED/LCD no 3D Enabled or Touch Screen, I'm not particular to the LG or Samsung brands but I'll listen to any advice or reccomendations. I prefer the Resolution to be 1920x1080 but I'll settle for 1366x768 since it's my current set-up and it's quite pleasing. I'm not too tech savvy when it comes to choosing things for the computer such as this so an "For Dummies" quotes and comments are more than welcomed.

Weasyl
    Ibuuyk
    I have an old Optiquest Q19wb that I've had since 2005. Even after all this time, it still works perfectly, and it can handle up to 1440x900. But ya, it isn't 24'', so I guess I can't really help you there :c

Welcome to Weasyl btw :3

Thank you for the input! And the only reason why I'm going with 24" is mostly so it looks nice with my Cintiq 24" and so I can dual screen without issue of different resolutions uwu

Also thank you for welcoming me! I was gonna post a thread but my computer blue-screened in the middle of it, lol.

I'd recommend my current monitor. It's light weight, LED and has a great color pallet.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16824236153

There seems to be a lot of comments about dead pixels from out-of-box experiences and the monitor dying with a span of 3~4 months. It looks beautiful and if I can find nothing better I'll consider it again, there was also comments on the brightness some say it was good and bad. I get head aches rather quickly from light and with the hours I spend on my laptop as is I can't have that, I need to it bright but still dull in a sense so when I do any sort of art I'm looking at the actual color and not some super dim/dull version of it because of having to turn brightness down on my screen.

Quote Originally Posted by RadioCatastrophe View Post
    There seems to be a lot of comments about dead pixels from out-of-box experiences and the monitor dying with a span of 3~4 months. It looks beautiful and if I can find nothing better I'll consider it again, there was also comments on the brightness some say it was good and bad. I get head aches rather quickly from light and with the hours I spend on my laptop as is I can't have that, I need to it bright but still dull in a sense so when I do any sort of art I'm looking at the actual color and not some super dim/dull version of it because of having to turn brightness down on my screen.
    it's your choice entirely, but I'd just like to point out that the amount of good reviews (5 star) outweighs more than all of the others combined. As for my own testimonial I'd say that it's a great monitor. Nowhere near as bright as a monitors that use actual light bulbs.

Oh, you might also want to check this out if you're getting eye strain. http://stereopsis.com/flux/

That's a neat little tool 0:
    I know when I was reading into LCD's they said that it works off the lightening that the screen receives within the area it's on how it presents color, dunno if it relates to brightness or anything but it sounds as it does have some control over it.

Quote Originally Posted by RadioCatastrophe View Post
    That's a neat little tool 0:
    I know when I was reading into LCD's they said that it works off the lightening that the screen receives within the area it's on how it presents color, dunno if it relates to brightness or anything but it sounds as it does have some control over it.
    No matter what monitor you get, you're going to have people who have problems with it. You can always return it and get a replacement if it's faulty.

Weasyl
    Bobskunk
    If you can swing the bucks, you should be happy with http://www.amazon.com/Dell-UltraShar...310/ref=sr_1_1 one of these. It's a cheaper IPS panel, so while it will give you great color and viewing angle, it'll fit between the "fast and cheap" of TN panels, and "gorgeous and slower" of higher end IPS panels, without spending a whole lot.

Of course, it's 16:10 (1920x1200) so watching 16:9 video will be letterboxed, but you'll have extra real estate in games and on your desktop. It's also closer in width to what a 22"-23" 16:9 monitor would be, just with extra height. It's stated as having an 8ms response time, while most TN panels claim 2ms now. This means the time it takes for a pixel to change from one color to another- if you've seen a really old screen with trailing mouse cursors and fading windows, that's because of a high response time. That 2ms number doesn't always hold up to scrutiny, and you'll really only notice blurring at response times of 16ms and up. Also, while it's IPS, it's not exactly suitable for perfect professional design work even with calibration, but it'll still look loads better than a TN panel.

Otherwise I'd second just about any 24" LED backlit ASUS. I've had a $300 21.5" CCFL backlit ASUS for the past 3 years, and it still looks good. The standard size of 21"+ widescreen monitors is 1920x1080 at this point anyway, so just be sure your video card can handle it.

For around the same price of the Dell you can look for a Catleap Q270 or an Acheiva QH270- uses the same panels as many of the 27" screens (such as the 27" iMac), but they're "A-" and may have problems. Plus, driving a resolution of 2560x1440 is no easy feat, even before bumping it up to 120hz. I'm really only adding this because we might finally see the 27" and 30" screens become more affordable instead of hovering around $1k, just like how everything from 24" and down has become super cheap, relative to what it was before.

Already chose one.