Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ouya

Weasyl
    Demu

Ouya

You've probably heard about the mega successful Kickstarter campaign for the new open source console Ouya, that runs on the Android platform and uses a Tegra 3 processor.

What are your thoughts on it? I'm personally SUPER EXCITED. Do you think its technology is enough to keep up with today's consoles? Do you think that doesn't matter? Discuss!

I wanted to get one, but my money situation isn't the best right now.

Though I'm still not 100% on it. It seems like a great concept.

Weasyl
    Brace
    Eh, I'm not sold on it yet. It just doesn't seem profoundly viable.

Meh :/

Weasyl
    Ibuuyk
    That campaign is missing the most important point. What kind of cartridge/CD will it use?

Also, the hardware seems kind of low-class, sounds like all it could do is play indie games and ROMs. And will it require a permanent Internet connection?

All in all, it's a commendable concept, but they aren't going so well with it. They need to be more specific in their campaign and up their hardware so it can actually play modern games.

Quote Originally Posted by Ibuuyk View Post
    That campaign is missing the most important point. What kind of cartridge/CD will it use?
    I believe it will have no optical drive and everything will be downloaded/cloud. Which is a smart move imo.

Personally the system doesn't interest me. They're entire selling point was a hackable system and bringing indie games to the console. Which I could care less for. Having indie games connected to my TV just lets me have a larger screen, which if I really wanted I could grab an HDMI cord and plug my PC into my tv. Saves me $100!
    I'll stick with playing indie games on my PC and buying them via steam.

Also, the hardware seems kind of low-class, sounds like all it could do is play indie games and ROMs. And will it require a permanent Internet connection?

All in all, it's a commendable concept, but they aren't going so well with it. They need to be more specific in their campaign and up their hardware so it can actually play modern games.
    It's going to be downloadable.

Weasyl
    Ibuuyk
    Quote Originally Posted by Pony King View Post
    I believe it will have no optical drive and everything will be downloaded/cloud. Which is a smart move imo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinjo View Post
    It's going to be downloadable.
    Aaaaaand it's a complete piece of shit which will be unavailable in Canada, thanks to bandwidth caps (AKA forget downloadable-only games). No thanks, I'll pass.

Man am I disappointed, I was expecting something good, but they had to go with the worst possible option for games, Internet-only. Piece of turd.

EDIT: Wait, cloud too? Now that's just insulting.

Aaaaaand it's a complete piece of shit which will be unavailable in Canada, thanks to bandwidth caps (AKA forget downloadable-only games). No thanks, I'll pass.

Man am I disappointed, I was expecting something good, but they had to go with the worst possible option for games, Internet-only. Piece of turd.

EDIT: Wait, cloud too? Now that's just insulting.
    It's the future, sadly our country hasn't caught up with the rest of the world in terms in internet prices.

Only if it plays stuff better than a PC