Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I'd say a Mac is still desktop and a MacBook is still a laptop. o.o

Weasyl
    Kanagrooboy
    Quote Originally Posted by AshleyAshes View Post
    I'd say a Mac is still desktop and a MacBook is still a laptop. o.o
    Can't argue with that. Though it's still a neat thing to discuss, especially given that this thread is more or less dedicated to doing things with PCs that your typical user wouldn't think to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Kanagrooboy View Post
    Can't argue with that. Though it's still a neat thing to discuss, especially given that this thread is more or less dedicated to doing things with PCs that your typical user wouldn't think to do.
    I think it's more that TA has a thing against PCs being used as consoles or anything else other than 'Desk Monsters'.

Weasyl
    avan_kaira
    I've got a bunch of computers, though probably only 3 get used as something other than a classic 'doing general consumer stuff' system. Maybe 4 if the ruggedized laptop's occasional use as an emergency umbrella counts.

The 3 systems are:
    My workstation which is effectively a render box that I end up using for desktop purposes too. Originally it was only used when absolutely necessary due to older, hotter running hardware, but with a series of upgrades its able to do its heavy lifting jobs without turning the room into an oven. I suppose its now the 'do everything' system, and tends to be tasked with everything from web browsing to synthesizing verilog for FPGAs. The overclocked 1090T (4.2Ghz) is aging, but it still handles things well enough to let me do things when heavy parallel tasks are running in the background. Also has 16GB of ram, an OCed r9 290 and an r7 260x (this one drives secondary monitors). I plan to upgrade the ram since running 2000 tabs or so in waterfox uses ~7GB of ram, while all my instances of krita eat up ~3-4GB. Combined with everything else, this has pushed usage up to 32GB.

I've got a little E-350 htpc which is pretty much my 'playing skyrim on the tv' system, considering it handles that game at the tv's 720p resolution just fine, despite my higher-benchmarking intel laptops falling flat on their faces when they try to run it (except for our best laptop which happens to have a 730M gpu)

Lastly, theres an old i5-3120M laptop which sees use as a minecraft & starbound server.

I've temporarily used laptops as wireless -> wired LAN bridges before too, and once out of desperation made a giant daisy-chain of computers with 2 ethernet ports, letting me create a series of network bridges all the way to a computer outside since i didnt have any long cables, but did have a ton of old desktops & short cables.

Quote Originally Posted by avan View Post
    I've temporarily used laptops as wireless -> wired LAN bridges before too, and once out of desperation made a giant daisy-chain of computers with 2 ethernet ports, letting me create a series of network bridges all the way to a computer outside since i didnt have any long cables, but did have a ton of old desktops & short cables.
    That is beautifully horrifying.

Weasyl
    avan_kaira
    In retrospect, now I wish I had pictures >.> But I could probably do it again considering I still have a lot of computers and still have the old NICs. They original desktops are largely gone though, donated those away to an orphanage

Quote Originally Posted by AshleyAshes View Post
    I think it's more that TA has a thing against PCs being used as consoles or anything else other than 'Desk Monsters'.
    I just don't get how plugging a desktop into an HDTV is innovative.
    Get a loada this guy here.
    https://twitter.com/DogdongD

Weasyl
    Runefox
    Quote Originally Posted by TeenageAngst View Post
    I just don't get how plugging a desktop into an HDTV is innovative.
    Nobody said it was.

Quote Originally Posted by Runefox View Post
    Nobody said it was.
    This entire topic is basically a showcase for Ashley to let us know yet again that he enjoys using a tower PC as a console then? I should make a topic where I plug a 360 into a DVI monitor.
    Get a loada this guy here.
    https://twitter.com/DogdongD

Weasyl
    Runefox
    Quote Originally Posted by TeenageAngst View Post
    This entire topic is basically a showcase for Ashley to let us know yet again that he enjoys using a tower PC as a console then? I should make a topic where I plug a 360 into a DVI monitor.
    Hey, if it'll keep you from trolling a thread that hasn't been touched in a month, go for it.