Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

PC's as something other than Desktops or Laptops

Weasyl
    Runefox
    And yet it's all stuffed into the cheapest possible case.

I used to have something similar set up as a file server minus the HTPC aspect, but I kind of got sick of having big boxes lying around sucking up energy. If I were to build something like this, I'd try and make it as energy efficient as possible; WD Red drives, a Core i-series T variant, etc. Hell, thin micro ITX + USB3 externals might even be better than a tower if not for the cable clutter. But then again I've sort of become obsessed with reducing energy consumption because I've been paying huge power bills lately.

One other neat thing to do with a PC is to make it into a pfSense router. All kinds of flexibility baked in, though AFAIK there's no hardware AC support. But slap two gigabit NICs into a relatively lightweight machine, hang a gigabit switch off it of any size and then connect up a wireless AC bridge and you've got quite a flexible SOHO network. I did this for a while with some old Pentium III's I had lying around, but the old hardware wasn't reliable enough to continue using.

Get a loada this guy here.
    https://twitter.com/DogdongD

Weasyl
    Tiido

Weasyl
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by Tiido View Post
    img

I love the keyboard-computer form factor. It should return in full force !
    Laptop minus screen = KFF PC :3

Weasyl
    Tiido
    Sadly the trend seems to be towards just the screen part....

Weasyl
    MkLXIV
    I'm not quite sure this would fall under a category of its own, but what about Hackintoshes? They're basically PCs running OS X- they have very specific hardware; not everything is compatible with OS X but still compatible with a standard PC and vice-versa. If you don't believe it's possible, I have pictures of my very own Hackintosh which I use daily for most of my tasks. ;U

EDIT: Yes, basically PCs as Macs.
    Last edited by MkLXIV; 04-04-2014 at 08:00 PM.

Weasyl
    Kanagrooboy

Weasyl
    Runefox
    Hackintoshes are fun until they start to randomly kernel panic after a few hours of usage like some kind of throwback to the Windows 9x era of computing. My experience with it was a perfect storm of compatibility at the time, the only incompatible item having been my sound card (X-Fi). Radeon HD 4850, Intel i5 2500K, one of the suggested boards with pre-built installer boot disc... Worked great while it worked, but kernel paniced like crazy. Considering the amount of time and effort that went into making the thing work and what I had to show for it afterwards, my triple boot Windows-Ubuntu-OSX config didn't last long. I'd recommend it for the curious, definitely not for anyone looking to use OS X seriously. Get a Mac Mini if you want to do that.