Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Weasyl
    Runefox

Whoa, whoa, slow down smartphone market

So when Apple first released the Retina Display-equipped iPhone 4, that was a pretty big deal. For the first time, more than 300ppi (print quality) in a mobile display made its way into the mainstream. It paved the way for all of Apple's current Retina offerings, and for higher resolutions in mobile devices in general.

Today, we have smartphones that, at 4.5-5" in size, are pushing 1080p, which is in excess of 440ppi. This in itself is rather excessive considering the human eye can't really detect that much information except for extremely close-in. That is to say, unless you're using your phone with a magnifying glass or holding it inches from your face, you probably won't be able to see any pixels at all. But that's fine; 1080p makes it easier to output to a TV, or to play back full HD video without having to scale it. Makes a bit of sense from a technical perspective.

Enter the Oppo Find 7. While the phone itself is noteworthy for having pretty nice hardware, it's touting something very specific: A 5.5" screen, made by JDI, running at 2560x1440 and topping 534ppi. They aren't the only ones who are pushing this, either; LG is manufacturing mobile displays at this resolution also, to be used by other manufacturers.

Why? What possible reason could there be for pushing pixel densities this far? It's turned into a giant pissing match for numbers at this point. Are future generations of smartphones going to be burning through GPU cycles (and battery) just to draw more and more pixels that nobody will ever be able to make out? Can we just reach critical mass on this and move onto something else to focus on? Please? Though to be fair, I'd really like to have these high DPI displays in a monitor form factor...

Weasyl
    QTMelon
    Usually higher pixels are actually better for reading print. Higher pixels make oddly enough easier on the eyes instead of having really high glaring black and white back at you, you can actually help make it more like paper. How high does it need to be is another question. Right now I have a Note 3 and I really like the fact I can record pretty high definition even though I don't have a 4k TV just yet, but the best thing right now is I'm actually able to zoom in on my video, which I couldn't do prior or it was reserved for photos.

Weasyl
    N/A
    That Oppo is ridiculous. How long before these things are big enough to be called tablets? Inch and a half by my count.

Weasyl
    Clove Darkwave
    I can think on the low-end user side of things and see how this pissing contest benefits those of us without the cash to spare on the nicer gadgets. Perhaps the "outdated" and "weaker" displays may become cheaper?

Weasyl
    Tiido
    I once argued with a friend about the matter... "but its so sharp !"... the details are so small you cannot even see them, kinda worthless. Really just wastes lot of power too.
    If anything this just paves way for better big sized displays. I'm sure the advancements needed to make those tinyass pixels apply elsewhere.

I think good print quality is around 600 DPI. We are now making screens - dynamic screens - capable of similar quality as printed images.

I don't care what people say, we're living in the future.

Weasyl
    N/A
    I'm surprised my phone display even has colours.

Weasyl
    Batty Krueger
    So they can charge more money to ignorant customers.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by XoPachi View Post
    It is pretty pointless. I wouldn't mind if this was just a side thing in conjunction with other innovations and tweaks. Though I can't think of much else for a phone to do. ;3;
    My friends galaxy note 3 is almost as large as my galaxy tab 7

Quote Originally Posted by Batty Krueger View Post
    So they can charge more money to ignorant customers.
    This.

A big number sounds impressive and worth paying extra for.

They do the same thing with the cameras on phones (and in actual cameras), they talk about how many mega pixils the camera has, but neglect to mention that all those pixils are crammed onto a teeny tiny sensor (sensor size is a bit of a bottle neck on image quality, it's why older consumer grade cameras with less pixils, but larger censors are sometimes better than newer cameras with mor pixils but smaller censors).

I suppose that's something I'll have to look out for when I someday upgrade to a smart phone...(which will probably be the day when they stop supporting/making ye olde cell phone).
    Fish heads! Fish heads! Rolly polly fish heads! Fish heads! Fish heads! Eat them up! Yum!

Weasyl
    lupussle
    My only gripe is that this trend hasn't moved into the TV and computer screen market, it's embarrassing how much clearer my phone is to read than my desktop!