Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Externally Hosted Icons?

Externally Hosted Icons?

Weasyl
    xarg
    What happens when I point my icon URL to be http://www.furaffinity.net/logout/?

Well if FA's logout system is intelligent it'd do nothing, but then again it's FA's code we're talking about. A quick peek at the site's HTML shows it'd log us out just as it shouldn't.

Precisely why I included the second suggestion, allowing us to upload multiple icons and Weasyl itself having the randomizer picking images, though that's more an FA issue than a Weasyl issue...

Weasyl
    xarg
    FA was only an example to make my point though. It empowers a malicious user to make HTTP GET-queries with the end users credentials and a plethora of sites are still vulnerable to a CSRF attack like that. That being said, I notice that the forum image code already allows that anyway.

Yeah, any site with an issue like that is going to be vulnerable whether we allow it as an avatar or not. As I just said in my thread on the FAF, The Daily WTF's forums suffer from the same problem, they've had to make it a specific rule to not do that in their signatures (amusingly, simple HTML injection, and even a little JS, is A-OK though, as long as it's not malicious...).

6.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #6

Weasyl
    Fiz
    Talked to Taw a bit, I don't think this is something that could be easily implemented into the forums.

For the mainsite, I think a better idea would be to have a system where you could upload multiple icons and either select one to use as your main icon and also have a choice of them to use on comments and such (think how livejournal does it), or have a 'randomized' mode set where it'll choose a random one from your icon stash for your comment posts. I know have a livejournal styled list of avatars has been a fairly popular suggestion, so if it were implemented, adding a randomized mode would take care of this idea.

Weasyl
    xarg
    The LJ-style icon system has been brought up before in other threads and I do think that would be a nice feature to have on the mainsite, at least that way you won't run into a joker that has a script that serves something obnoxious every 100th request.

I'm just fine with it only being available on the mainsite, since that's, well, the site I mainly use...

Weasyl
    Runefox
    I used to do that all the time years ago, but I kind of got sick of it after a while. Caching's kind of ruined that for me.

Weasyl
    Flygon
    How about something like TASVideos's 'mood' icon system? Where you can select a specific avatar for each specific post.

Let's presume this's expanded to individual submissions on the mainsite too.