Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #1

Drew Struzan discussing tracing and the creation of art

The realities of tracing in the industry and why it is and has been part of the process for a long time

Again, note, this is a method for reaching the end. This is not about stealing other peoples work.

Using projectors is hard at first x.x But it's so helpful when taking traditional art and scaling it up!

Well, thers huge gab between 'internet art' and the actual professional world, I'm certain a lot of people have seen the drama people made about Sandara using photos in her work. (Matte painting, also a film industry way of working) And thers even folks shunning refs so noting of this is really surprising.

The only thing that makes me facepalm is people wanting to do hyper realism and not bothering with reference ... yeaaaaah good luck with that.

Weasyl
    QTMelon
    I'm sorry, who?

It's ok to use your own photos or photos you legally own/can use.

Quote Originally Posted by spacerogue View Post
    Well, thers huge gab between 'internet art' and the actual professional world, I'm certain a lot of people have seen the drama people made about Sandara using photos in her work. (Matte painting, also a film industry way of working) And thers even folks shunning refs so noting of this is really surprising.

The only thing that makes me facepalm is people wanting to do hyper realism and not bothering with reference ... yeaaaaah good luck with that.
    http://sandara.deviantart.com/gallery/

Are you talking about her?
    Romantically Apocalyptic uses nothing but matte painting sometimes. I never heard of anyone getting mad about matte painting at all - it's just a form of photomanipulation, which I definitely see a lot of. There are probably a few naysayers in the mix though. I did have a classmate in college get mad that her illustration teacher made her use reference for everything she did in a comic assignment, which she thought was ridiculous and that professionals never did that (obviously she was wrong, and she had a huge attitude problem). I can imagine those types of people getting their panties in a bunch over this, but the majority I think understands.

Yeah !

http://sandara.deviantart.com/art/ma...rial-159991880

I think you missed rather a few drama's then, I highly doubt about the 'majority' of DA by now : /

RA seems more geared towards Photo manipulation then an artist like Sandara or anyone who's work doesn't look like its a Matte from first impression.

Weasyl
    QTMelon
    I guess it is because I don't use Deviant Art. I use CO Hub

8.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by QT Melon View Post
    I'm sorry, who?
    I dunno...the guy who hosts "Whose Line Is It Anyway?" I think.

Quote Originally Posted by spacerogue View Post
    Yeah !

http://sandara.deviantart.com/art/ma...rial-159991880

I think you missed rather a few drama's then, I highly doubt about the 'majority' of DA by now : /

RA seems more geared towards Photo manipulation then an artist like Sandara or anyone who's work doesn't look like its a Matte from first impression.
    http://alexiuss.deviantart.com/art/R...S-01-283614907

They are matte paintings as he states in his 'tutorial' just under the green screen information

Also, I think her use of matte painting vs. RA is almost minimal. RA is almost pure matte painting, though neither are better than the other or are worse for using it at all. I think some people were just jumping to the standard of 'omg you didn't draw this from scratch therefore you're not an artist!' mindset, which is unfortunately taught in art classes. Looking at the recent comments I think that mindset is changing and isn't as common now.

EDIT: Matte Painting is essentially photomanipulation but doesn't always have to rely on it. It's the creation of a mock background used for film or other visual projects, such is the case as Sandara and RA. It can utilize nothing but real photographs combined to make a new scene, or be a combination of actual painting and photos. A good portion of backgrounds in film are fake (its obvious with scifi films, but 'normal' settings aren't as obvious) and are matte paintings, but you won't know unless you see an obvious mistake or watch a behind the scenes video
    Last edited by insanejoker; 03-24-2014 at 06:45 PM.

Weasyl
    QTMelon
    Dylan Cole is an amazing Matte Painter, but I think we're going off topic where we're talking about tracing?

http://www.dylancolestudio.com/