Page 28 of 40 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: fxscreamer's art thread

Weasyl
    fxscreamer
    Quote Originally Posted by Umbra_Exe View Post
    Lots of cool art you have in this thread! Your backgrounds are especially lovely.

Hm, as for your last drawing though, I don't quite read him as 6 there, I thought he was a bit older (8-12 maybe? For what it's worth I'm terrible at telling ages). Maybe you could thicken his limbs a little bit (particularly the wrists), young kids tend to have a little baby fat still left on them, I think. But, I'm not so great at drawing kids myself, it's just my inexperienced suggestion. XD

Your character drawings are very nice though! I like the ones with two or more characters. It's interesting to see how different characters interact.
    Quote Originally Posted by SailorX2 View Post
    I'm agreeing with the above, I don't register this as a six-year-old.
    I would mess around with proportions though, either enlarging or shrinking different elements.

For example, young kids heads do not have the same proportion relative to the body as adults do.
    Adults (head included) have 7.5 heads as the average height. Some are a bit shorter, some a bit taller, though even then, unless they're starting to get into some extreme territory with like height and growth anomalies or syndromes often times the heads themselves might be slightly larger or smaller while the proportions are the same (making them shorter but proportionate). That's probably why Hobbits still look "correct" to us (give or take some large feet) compared to real-life dwarfism.

Children's head-to-height proportions vary from age to age, and the differences between even a single year can be drastic, both physically and mentally, the younger you go down the line.

With your style, I think one thing I'm thinking about is also size and placement of facial features. Children have larger foreheads, meaning their eyes are usually drawn lower on the head. Also with many cartoony and animesque styles eyes on children are drawn much larger, dwarfing other features. Another thing is there might be more spacing between the eyes, mainly in the younger kids, since many babies have an epicanthic fold. Many asians and a few other groups maintain this into adulthood, and how extreme it is can vary, though I'm not familiar enough with how long westerners tend to keep it, though if they do still have it by this point it's probably very minute. Ears are bigger and stick out more from a front view, whereas the nose is smaller and has yet to grow into it's adult version. Alot of people, myself included, also like to give kids more volume in their hair and (for some girls) thicker eyebrows. Kids have some fun hair and they're probably not going to give a crap if it's getting messed up on the playground, so go tousle it a bit!

Other things I personally do is give them visually big hands and feet (that's probably because of too much Kingdom Hearts tho), and a softer, more circular body shape than some harsher adult forms - as they have yet to develop that.

But your style is awesome though. Your characters have quite a personality to them (oŽω`o)
    Well thanks to both of you and I definitely agree. You aren't the first two to mention the age issue. I realized when I submitted it that I had my doubts on 6 years old and indeed looked closer to 10-12. The part I messed up on is practicing too much figures and anatomy on older body types. I have little experience in the younger age process, but I do know about bigger eyes and more scrunched faces. I decided I will try to turn this into an aging piece with 4 ages of Enzo. Infant/Toddler, 6 years old, 10 (here), and 14 years. We'll see how that goes.

Weasyl
    fxscreamer
    Last edited by fxscreamer; 08-14-2015 at 03:36 AM.

Weasyl
    fxscreamer

Weasyl
    fxscreamer

Weasyl
    fxscreamer

Weasyl
    fxscreamer

Weasyl
    fxscreamer

Weasyl
    fxscreamer
    Last edited by fxscreamer; 08-31-2015 at 12:22 AM.

Weasyl
    fxscreamer
    Made a new video...cough......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQ_TkIOHSoo

Weasyl
    fxscreamer