Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Weasyl
    N/A

Seeking critique on lineart, etc

Herraw.

I have recently made this as part of today's practise.

Bam.

I have recently been getting into linearting. When I do so, I use the pen tool in SAI with what is pretty much default settings, coupled with use of the stabilizer for those longer strokes.

I like the result.

But I don't like it enough.

I don't have many personal dislikes to the lines themselves. Save for a few parts such as the cheek on the right-hand side. Ugh. Ah, who am I kidding, I don't like it at all. I like the colour, though. I enjoy taking a soft pastel-like approach to colours when I can. The shading I'm not a fan of either. I don't really know how to go about shading this at all in a way that looks good.

I also as much as I love hair in cartoons, fuck if I work well with it. I'm also not a big fan of the face shape as a whole. I like the stylistic choices I had in mind (cartoonish, simple, clean, at least partially anime-inspired) but my execution feels crap.

Here's the sketch for comparision.

Yes my sketches are very messy, what of it ;n;

Any help with the lines/shading/highlights will be omghuegly appreaciated, as well as any general advice you may be willing to give! :3
    Last edited by FishNChips; 08-09-2017 at 02:36 PM.

Weasyl
    AtomiKamikaze
    Hey don't worry Gibby, what you feel is what most artists feel--looks so good in your head, but it just doesn't come out exactly that way you pictured it.

Personally I do like your style, and definitely just let the pen flow and do the talking. But I notice you do what I used to, use very thick black lines for lineart--you can just play around and use thinner lines and softer colors, especially since you're proud of your coloring job that uses a softer blend.

Also the lines are a little uniform in size--hey it's something I need to play with too, and I'm not sure if that's what's bugging you a bit. Here's a tutorial I found on that too, even though it's animu the same physics apply.
    http://browse.deviantart.com/?qh=&se...torial#/djirhd Hope it helps!

Your lineart looks fine, I'd worry more about your colors.
    If you say "plz" because it's shorter than "please," I'll say "no" because it's shorter than "yes."

Weasyl
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by AtomiKamikaze View Post
    Hey don't worry Gibby, what you feel is what most artists feel--looks so good in your head, but it just doesn't come out exactly that way you pictured it.

Personally I do like your style, and definitely just let the pen flow and do the talking. But I notice you do what I used to, use very thick black lines for lineart--you can just play around and use thinner lines and softer colors, especially since you're proud of your coloring job that uses a softer blend.

Also the lines are a little uniform in size--hey it's something I need to play with too, and I'm not sure if that's what's bugging you a bit. Here's a tutorial I found on that too, even though it's animu the same physics apply.
    http://browse.deviantart.com/?qh=&se...torial#/djirhd Hope it helps!
    Alright, thanks very much! C:

I'll be sure to look at that tutorial and put it to use. Thanks for your help! c:

Quote Originally Posted by Kazekai View Post
    Your lineart looks fine, I'd worry more about your colors.
    Thank you for your very helpful and insightful post. Atomi seems to like the colour work here, but to you, what's wrong with them? What could I change? The onlything I can think of here that could actually be a problem is the dark boldness of the lines and their contrast with all the other colours. Yet black bold lines are extremely common in cartoons of all sorts.
    Last edited by FishNChips; 09-03-2012 at 10:01 AM.

I am so tempted to not even bother because of how rude that post came off as. I was partially giving you a compliment.

Your coloring job in the above image looks monotone, try using different hue values when shading as well as different lightness.
    If you say "plz" because it's shorter than "please," I'll say "no" because it's shorter than "yes."

6.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #6

Weasyl
    Fayv
    The lines are looking good to be honest. You can use some line weight variation to it though, or just using smaller lines in places like the neck and eyes, allowing the outline to be the thickest. I'd play around with that and line color to see if it helps.

The coloring looks fine for a flat color piece. If you intended to make it a shaded work then there is the problem of not allowing the shadows to deepen enough and using highlights, but that's something pretty simple to fix.
    I think the lines are your biggest problem here too, weird I know but they are a bit too thick for the kind of colors you use so they don't pop. The lines pull away from the colors. Again experiment with thickness and such.

As I said the colors themselves are fine, it's an even pallet, I like what you did with the eyes and eyelids.

7.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #7

Weasyl
    Fiz

Weasyl
    N/A
    Well that's certainly very helpful, Fay and Fiz! Thank you both very much! C:

As for hidden white spots, are there any recommendations you can give to help me avoid those? I honestly did not notice them until after you told me. Varying line thickness seems complex, though. But I see what it is you've changed in the reline, sooooo.

I must admit, I've never really gotten my head around shading, it's not something I've ever been confident with. I never even tried other colours outside of grey tones, shame on me. What you've done certainly looks prettier! I take it the blue/orange shades are more or less very important colours when it comes to shading a picture?

Also may I ask, when you did the re-line, what tool(s) did you use? I just used the normal ol' freehand drawing pen when I did my lines. I'll also be doing what Fay suggested with trying thinner lines.

Again, thank you both for the insight. c:

PS: For the final pic you posted, Fiz, was there a mistake with posting? I don't see any coloured lines in that one. :s Or am I not looking closely enough?

9.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #9

Weasyl
    Fiz
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibby View Post
    Well that's certainly very helpful, Fay and Fiz! Thank you both very much! C:

As for hidden white spots, are there any recommendations you can give to help me avoid those? I honestly did not notice them until after you told me. Varying line thickness seems complex, though. But I see what it is you've changed in the reline, sooooo.

I must admit, I've never really gotten my head around shading, it's not something I've ever been confident with. I never even tried other colours outside of grey tones, shame on me. What you've done certainly looks prettier! I take it the blue/orange shades are more or less very important colours when it comes to shading a picture?

Also may I ask, when you did the re-line, what tool(s) did you use? I just used the normal ol' freehand drawing pen when I did my lines. I'll also be doing what Fay suggested with trying thinner lines.

Again, thank you both for the insight. c:

PS: For the final pic you posted, Fiz, was there a mistake with posting? I don't see any coloured lines in that one. :s Or am I not looking closely enough?
    You can always put a colored layer behind your coloring, so you can see where you missed spots. It's the easiest way I've found.

I wouldn't say they're "very important", I just think they're good default cool and warm colors to try shading a neutral background/foreground picture with.

Here's the settings on my lineart pen:

http://gyazo.com/ccac5b817bc0e607ae156c8a8895e3f4

And no, the lineart is colored, it's just a super dark brown haha. I probably should have done it a bit lighter so it would be more noticeable.

Weasyl
    Tiger