Weasyl
    Ruggy

Portfolio Websites and Real Names

(Hopefully this is in the right section, apologies if not.)

I'm in the process of setting up a personal art/blog website for myself, perhaps to serve as something of a portfolio for my better work and any contact information I wish to include.

It seems, for reasons I can't quite put a finger on, to be best to include my real name. I'm fine going by 'gorgonops' or 'Gorgo' on here/FA/reddit or wherever, but it seems strange (unprofessional?) to go by a pseudonym on what's effectively a portfolio site. "Illustrations by Gorgonops" looks weird. :I

Are there any drawbacks to using a real name on a personal portfolio site? My real name's just a 'whois' search away as it is, and although my registrar has kindly blocked my street address, my name's pretty unique and I'm not terribly difficult to find on searches. If someone wants to go all Misery on me, I have a feeling that simply failing to include my real name on my website would be insufficient.

Any thoughts? Does it weird you out to go to a portfolio website and see "Art by SparkleFox69" or whatever, particularly if SparkleFox69 offers art for pay? Have you had a bad experience from putting your own real name on your own website?
    Formerly gorgonops. I do art-type stuff.

You could always go by a second more realistic pseudo name. I think it depends on what you are trying to do with it.
    I mean... I'm pretty Sammacha everywhere, my name and its not like its hard to find my real name (but you'd never know if its actually my real name or not, maybe I just say it is O.O )
    More people would recognize Sammacha over my real name just because I use it more as my online presence.
    but make it so they could search your gorgonops name and find your site, maybe you can just put the other name real or not in the other parts

There is always a risk in dealing with people you can't meet and giving out your personal info

Weasyl
    QTMelon
    Depends what you're targetting, if you want to target multiple groups then there's nothing wrong with more than one blog or portfolio. Its not like a portfolio needs massive updates. You just want to have a few pieces of your best work and some sketches.

Weasyl
    willy
    I guess it kind of depends on what the pseudonym stands for or what purpose it serves. So your pseudonym would be more like something you could use to identify yourself in the art world but then attach your real name to it so people have a "name to put with the face" so to speak.

Kind of like how performers have stage names but don't necessarily disassociate from their real names completely.

Weasyl
    Bri Mercedes
    I had a few classes on self-promotion and business in art college where we had to brand ourselves and set up a crap ton of social media accounts along with a portfolio website and a name for ourselves. I chose to use Bri Mercedes, a spin on my real name, because it was more professional, yet still fun and not too full of itself. Another option is to create sort of a studio or brand name, like "Gorgo Art". Make sure it's easy to pronounce and remember. Don't be worried about keeping your real name a secret: you'll likely have to disclose it to clients anyway. Keep your audience in mind: if you're just going to be catering to the furry community, fun nicknames are attractive! If you want to step into the professional big-client arena, "Raver Fox" might not be a good choice.

One of the best ways to decide what direction to go: look at other successful artists that are doing what you'd like to do and learn from them.

Weasyl
    Ruggy
    Quote Originally Posted by QT Melon View Post
    Depends what you're targetting, if you want to target multiple groups then there's nothing wrong with more than one blog or portfolio. Its not like a portfolio needs massive updates. You just want to have a few pieces of your best work and some sketches.
    That's true enough! I'm sure some variant on my name is available as a domain for later use, anyhoo.

Quote Originally Posted by Bri Mercedes View Post
    I had a few classes on self-promotion and business in art college where we had to brand ourselves and set up a crap ton of social media accounts along with a portfolio website and a name for ourselves. I chose to use Bri Mercedes, a spin on my real name, because it was more professional, yet still fun and not too full of itself. Another option is to create sort of a studio or brand name, like "Gorgo Art". Make sure it's easy to pronounce and remember. Don't be worried about keeping your real name a secret: you'll likely have to disclose it to clients anyway. Keep your audience in mind: if you're just going to be catering to the furry community, fun nicknames are attractive! If you want to step into the professional big-client arena, "Raver Fox" might not be a good choice.

One of the best ways to decide what direction to go: look at other successful artists that are doing what you'd like to do and learn from them.
    Hmmm. What I have right now is an anagram of my name for a domain (and a lackluster website design; it's a work in progress) and I don't know if that's a branding mistake or what. I kinda struggle to think of a domain/site title that involves 'gorgonops' that isn't awkward sounding, since it's kind of an awkward sounding nickname. (Whoops. It was kind of a strange choice on my part, I guess.)

And yeah, pretty much just aiming at the furry community for the moment. I want to have a place for my work, contact info, and whatever else that isn't relying on someone else's servers, just in case the gallery sites I'm on go poof or whatever. I don't really have any aspirations of being a Proper Gallery Artist or anything, and if I do, another domain can be purchased and a separate site can be set up. P:
    Formerly gorgonops. I do art-type stuff.

Insert Witty Comment Here AndiGreyScale's Avatar
    Weasyl
    AndiGreyScale
    I know that plenty of artists don't use their real name for another of reasons, and it's perfectly acceptable thing to do!

As for a portfolio website, my main website IS my blog, which has a link directly to my portfolio, which happens to be on Flickr. I used it to get my first contract with a great company and plan on using for as long as I continue to like it. Just be sure to place the link directly to your portfolio on your website/blog in a place that is easy to find. Potential employers/commissioners will lose interest if they have to go digging for it.