Page 52 of 160 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462102152 ... LastLast

Weasyl
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Infestissumam View Post
    You can easily purchase a Gamecube for thirty bucks anywhere. So that's a solution.

Of course, no one in this thread knows the cost of the VC GCN games, but they assume they'll be overpriced, despite the fact that GCN games have been jumping in prices recently. Wanna buy The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker or Luigi's Mansion now? They were fifteen bucks while the Wii was out, but now they cost anywhere between 45-60 bucks, which I think is more than when they were first released. It's funny; the Gamecube itself costs half of what most of its games do.
    Also, there's all the games people never got to buy the first time around. I'd pay 30e for a GC game I never bought but always wanted to play. If I can get it on a current gen console, even better.

Weasyl
    Runefox
    You can easily purchase a Gamecube for thirty bucks anywhere. So that's a solution.
    Gamecubes and Gamecube-compatible systems are no longer being manufactured or sold by Nintendo. It's a solution that Nintendo doesn't want you to use.

Of course, no one in this thread knows the cost of the VC GCN games, but they assume they'll be overpriced, despite the fact that GCN games have been jumping in prices recently.
    That's the used games market, which Nintendo makes no money from. Based on N64 VC title pricing (1000-1200 points, roughly $10-$12), I'd be willing to bet that Gamecube games will run $19.99 and up, depending on the title, which is expensive considering you're not getting a physical copy (and with that comes Nintendo's brilliantmoney-grubbing console-locked downloadables policy) and these games have already had their run at retail (MOAR MONEY FOR REGGIWATA, OM NOM NOM). Not so much from a collector's standpoint, but hey, if you're a collector, you already want and have these games on discs. Which, I'd like to point out again, will not run on a WiiU. So in order to play your Gamecube games, you have to hook up your Gamecube alongside your WiiU, which defeats the purpose of the Virtual Console to begin with. It's great that it's an option, but anyone who already owns Gamecube games are getting the shaft.

Nintendo purposefully disabled Gamecube compatibility on the WiiU for the express purpose of selling the games a second time.

Weasyl
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Runefox View Post
    Nintendo purposefully disabled Gamecube compatibility on the WiiU for the express purpose of selling the games a second time.
    Can't blame them for wanting to make money. Not to mention a lot of Wii U owners have it as their first console (age you absolute cunt i remember the game gear being the coolest) so GC games will be pretty good value in their eyes I guess.

Weasyl
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by XoPachi View Post
    Please. Don't.
    There's a difference between wanting to make money and wanting to screw a portion of your audience to do it.
    Well how long ago was the Gamecube released? I dont think it's a good idea for a company to make their products backwards compatible FOREVER. You have to draw the line somewhere.

Weasyl
    Runefox
    Quote Originally Posted by Loafy View Post
    Well how long ago was the Gamecube released? I dont think it's a good idea for a company to make their products backwards compatible FOREVER. You have to draw the line somewhere.
    Except the console IS backwards compatible. Gamecube VC proves that. The difference is they're only offering it via download and not allowing it via the disc. Even Sony still allows you to run PS1 discs through their emulator despite there being PS1 downloads on PSN.

Weasyl
    N/A
    Except the console IS backwards compatible. Gamecube VC proves that. The difference is they're only offering it via download and not allowing it via the disc. Even Sony still allows you to run PS1 discs through their emulator despite there being PS1 downloads on PSN.
    Stop surprising with things I did not know previously D:

Does this mean PS2 discs work too? That would be sensational.

Weasyl
    Infestissumam
    stepping on the crowtche owf your americain presidaint
    Gamecubes and Gamecube-compatible systems are no longer being manufactured or sold by Nintendo. It's a solution that Nintendo doesn't want you to use.
    So? It shouldn't matter if Nintendo wants you to buy a used Gamecube, you can still buy one.

That's the used games market, which Nintendo makes no money from. Based on N64 VC title pricing (1000-1200 points, roughly $10-$12), I'd be willing to bet that Gamecube games will run $19.99 and up, depending on the title, which is expensive considering you're not getting a physical copy (and with that comes Nintendo's brilliantmoney-grubbing console-locked downloadables policy) and these games have already had their run at retail (MOAR MONEY FOR REGGIWATA, OM NOM NOM). Not so much from a collector's standpoint, but hey, if you're a collector, you already want and have these games on discs. Which, I'd like to point out again, will not run on a WiiU. So in order to play your Gamecube games, you have to hook up your Gamecube alongside your WiiU, which defeats the purpose of the Virtual Console to begin with. It's great that it's an option, but anyone who already owns Gamecube games are getting the shaft.
    Chances are that a collector would have already had a Gamecube or Wii to play their Gamecube games on, anyway. Most of the not being able to play Gamecube games on a Wii U problem can easily be solved by buying a Gamecube anyway. The only thing in your post that I can honestly agree with is how much bullshit the console-locked deal is, but Nintendo's slowly getting better with that with the Nintendo Network ID. I've not used my Wii U's VC yet, but is that also connected to the Nintendo Network? I know that you can call customer support and transfer your 3DS data to another 3DS if you need to, so I wonder if you could do the same for your Wii U data.

In terms of twenty bucks being a shitty price, consider that the physical copies of the games listed are about twice as expensive, if not more.

Okay. So what?

Quote Originally Posted by XoPachi View Post
    Please. Don't.
    There's a difference between wanting to make money and wanting to screw a portion of your audience to do it.
    Who exactly are they screwing over by offering GCN games on the VC? Hahaha.

Weasyl
    Runefox
    Nintendo does not want you to buy a used Gamecube. They make no money from that sale, and they make no money from your eBay purchases. That's why their later Wii's and the WiiU are not capable of reading Gamecube discs: So that there is a large enough gap between supporting the discs natively and running them via digital download that you'll most likely have sold your Wii or Gamecube by now or had it die. You know all those Nintendo ads talking about how the WiiU is better than the Wii? They aren't talking about buying a WiiU to put next to your Wii. They're talking about upgrading to the WiiU. Replacing the Wii. And many people did just that, because hey, the WiiU is compatible with Wii games. Just like many sold their Gamecubes long ago when they got a Wii because it (once upon a time) supported Gamecube games.

As for why you'd want to play the discs in the WiiU, aside from not having to buy your games a second time, even if you had a Gamecube still kicking around? Because everyone wants to have a Gamecube, a WiiU, PS3/4, Xbox 360/1, PS2, Xbox classic, Dreamcast, etc etc all hooked up to my TV at once, and I sure as hell don't want to take advantage of the WiiU's HDMI output over the Wii/Gamecube's at-best messy component output. Better hope the Gamecube doesn't die later on down the road, they won't last forever after all; One day the best you'll be able to muster is to gaze upon your game discs and reminisce about the good old days. Or pay Nintendo for the privilege of running it on their newest console that is capable of running it but lol your discs are not welcome here.

Also, stop talking about used game pricing versus digital downloads. Used game pricing is based on supply and demand. Rare games are expensive, as are good games. Both those things mean nothing for digital distribution.

And who are they screwing over? The people who can only look at their discs longingly as they bust out their wallet for the page when trying to get their Gamecube games to work on their WiiU. Sold your old Wii to get a WiiU? lol Gamecube compatibility's there but throw that disc away! It also screws over anyone who has their WiiU fail, because Nintendo ties digital purchases to consoles, not user accounts (though they have been more accommodating recently). Long story short, it's great that Gamecube compatibility is there, now fix the part where it's download-only.
    Last edited by Runefox; 05-18-2014 at 12:56 AM.

Weasyl
    Infestissumam
    stepping on the crowtche owf your americain presidaint
    Nintendo does not want you to buy a used Gamecube. They make no money from that sale, and they make no money from your eBay purchases. That's why their later Wii's and the WiiU are not capable of reading Gamecube discs: So that there is a large enough gap between supporting the discs natively and running them via digital download that you'll most likely have sold your Wii or Gamecube by now or had it die.
    Again I ask, so what? Just because Nintendo doesn't want you to buy a used Gamecube doesn't prevent you from buying one.

You know all those Nintendo ads talking about how the WiiU is better than the Wii? They aren't talking about buying a WiiU to put next to your Wii. They're talking about upgrading to the WiiU. Replacing the Wii. And many people did just that, because hey, the WiiU is compatible with Wii games. Just like many sold their Gamecubes long ago when they got a Wii because it (once upon a time) supported Gamecube games.
    I'm familiar with this concept and don't really know why you've bothered explaining it to me. If you're not a collector or into older games, why would you even have owned a Gamecube? The problem of not being able to play your Gamecube discs on a Wii U hits a small, small minority. It's also important to note that it is being marketed for children. Said children likely have never owned a Gamecube before, and the Gamecube itself probably seems "retro" to them.

If anything, this seems akin to being upset that the Nintendo 64 couldn't play NES games.

As for why you'd want to play the discs in the WiiU, aside from not having to buy your games a second time, even if you had a Gamecube still kicking around? Because everyone wants to have a Gamecube, a WiiU, PS3/4, Xbox 360/1, PS2, Xbox classic, Dreamcast, etc etc all hooked up to my TV at once, and I sure as hell don't want to take advantage of the WiiU's HDMI output over the Wii/Gamecube's at-best messy component output. Better hope the Gamecube doesn't die later on down the road, they won't last forever after all; One day the best you'll be able to muster is to gaze upon your game discs and reminisce about the good old days. Or pay Nintendo for the privilege of running it on their newest console that is capable of running it but lol your discs are not welcome here.
    I never asked about why you'd want to play Gamecube discs on the Wii U, I asked why it is negative to capitalise on selling older games again. Though I suppose this post answers that as well. It isn't as if the Wii U or the Gamecube is massive and will take up loads of space in your media centre thing or whatever you have compared to other games.

Unfortunately, most people that buy a Wii U are either long-time Nintendo fans that already own a Gamecube and never thought about parting with it, or they're children that never played it. This problem, while I understand it, is still going to be limited to a very small amount of people.

Also, stop talking about used game pricing versus digital downloads. Used game pricing is based on supply and demand. Rare games are expensive, as are good games. Both those things mean nothing for digital distribution.
    I was pointing out that twenty bucks is not a lot for not getting the physical copy. The physical copy would have you paying a lot more, and selling them as they are makes GCN games much more accessible.

And who are they screwing over? The people who can only look at their discs longingly as they bust out their wallet for the page when trying to get their Gamecube games to work on their WiiU. Sold your old Wii to get a WiiU? lol Gamecube compatibility's there but throw that disc away! It also screws over anyone who has their WiiU fail, because Nintendo ties digital purchases to consoles, not user accounts (though they have been more accommodating recently). Long story short, it's great that Gamecube compatibility is there, now fix the part where it's download-only.
    So, practically no one. I know download-only is a shit deal, and there's no reason to not have GCN games run on a Wii U other than "moar money," but are there honestly that many people who would be effected by this? I've begun collecting games, and despite this, I'd still prefer playing my GCN games on my Gamecube, not the Wii, nor the Wii U.

Weasyl
    pinardilla
    The only reason to make GC games download-only is to screw an extra buck out of people that own the discs. There's no other benefit to it. That "small minority" is apparently big enough to be worth dicking over.

If anything, this seems akin to being upset that the Nintendo 64 couldn't play NES games.
    Except NES cartridges are different form factor from N64 cartridges, so there's a legitimate reason for incompatibility. The Wii could run GC games, and the Wii U can run Wii games, so it's not a hardware issue.
    Last edited by piņardilla; 05-18-2014 at 03:20 AM.
         
       
    Now,
              let's go play, together...
       
    Together under the
                     clearest of
    blue skies.