Page 50 of 160 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260100150 ... LastLast

Weasyl
    Toshabi
    They tried to make up the lack of that feature with Pokémon ami, but it just isn't the same. Maybe we'll see it again in alpha amd omega.

2.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #492
    Quote Originally Posted by Vae View Post
    I don't want to rely on other people.
    I hate relying on other people.
    BUT THE POWER OF FRIENDSHIP!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rilvor View Post
    But they still shouldn't have taken out Pokemon walking behind you.
    All my this.

Weasyl
    Vae
    Quote Originally Posted by Rory View Post
    BUT THE POWER OF FRIENDSHIP!!!
    But I am a bitter loner that likes to sit in my dark little loner corner and hiss at people when they step within 15 ft of me.

That's actually a common criticism of Final Fantasy, one I happen to agree with. They changed up the gameplay when no one was really asking for that. What made Final Fantasy fun was pretty basic, and the more they screwed around with it the worse it got. It's very rare to "change things up" and pull a Resident Evil 4 out of it.

Pokemon games are one of those things where you either like it for what it is, or you don't. Some people can't get over their nitpicks about the games, so it just isn't for them. As I said earlier, they could stand to balance the game better if they intend to actually have competitive gameplay at endgame but otherwise the games are great.

More of the Same isn't a bad thing. If we had done More of the Same with Metroid, maybe we wouldn't have been subject to Other M.

Conversely, a little change isn't bad either. It's about seeking a balance of changes and keeping the old. But they still shouldn't have taken out Pokemon walking behind you.
    I actually kind of like that about Final Fantasy, except when they horribly fuck it the hell up (13).
    But it can lead to nice changes that make the gameplay more engaging and less stale (12) in comparison with some of the older done-to-death combat systems (10).

Speaking of Metroid, we also wouldn't have the Prime series, if Nintendo wasn't willing to do new things.
    So... there's that.
    Granted, I love the shit out of classic Metroid and I always will. But I suppose that's because it actually keeps me alert. Constantly reacting to things and discovering new secrets.

Maybe it's just my bias for more actiony games talking, here, but I can seriously tap my way through Pokemon games (or several turn-based RPGs) mostly asleep. I've done it on numerous occasions. You eventually reach a point where your brain goes on autopilot.
    I like it, but I just wish they would mix things up a bit from time to time.
    Maybe a "hit A / B / whatever at the right time for extra critical damage" or something. Something more personally engaging.
    Last edited by Vae; 05-16-2014 at 07:01 AM.
    Resident Koopa Trash

Weasyl
    QTMelon
    I couldn't tell if I was playing a game or just pressing buttons to get a movie going with FF13

I know people gripe about changes in later games but people generally gripe about any changes in general. I think the FF series is okay overall with some better than others - some people will only care about the classics. The MMO 14 was a really surprising turnaround which even caught a really big cynic towards the series off guard.

Then again you have games like Civilization that are pretty much the same game with updated graphics for years, yet strangely addicting to play when each comes out, but I usually complete it a few times and drop out never to look at it again.

Weasyl
    Toshabi
    Quote Originally Posted by XoPachi View Post
    You don't need to reinvent genres or games. I have an issue when something just completely loses substance...though certain games I feel need to vary it up each installment. Like platformers. After a while I caught on to Mario's tricks and just nothing new was there for me to feel challenged. That's a good example.

And let me go on record saying I loved FF12. :u
    Mario would be okay with my soul if Nintendo released the option to buy just the hard levels as opposed to the whole game. But even then, I found the new Mario games to be party games, since the true difficulty comes from your friends throwing you off the cliff.

Weasyl
    One_Classy_Dragon
    Last edited by Gumshoe; 05-16-2014 at 10:53 PM.

Weasyl
    QTMelon

Don't believe Ondor's lies!

Weasyl
    Toshabi
    "UUGH!!!! Halo 5!?! Why can't the series just die already!?!? It's milked so much!!!

OOOO! Mario Kart EIGHT footage!!!"

>Nintendo fans.
    After Mario Kart 64, all Nintendo can ever do are fucking prequels.

Weasyl
    Clove Darkwave
    Quote Originally Posted by Vae View Post
    Speaking of Metroid, we also wouldn't have the Prime series, if Nintendo wasn't willing to do new things.
    So... there's that.
    Eh...not quite. Prime at its core is just the same as side-scroller Metroid. Other M wanted you to do God of War finishing moves and introduce you to CD-i quality story. Which took an even more brazen note than Metal Gear and actually had a mode for just the cutscenes and no game. Except that I'd listen to King Harkinian say Dinner for 10 minutes before I even considered watching that for five.

Weasyl
    Vae
    FF12 is probably my favorite of any of the FFs that I've actually played. My only beef was with the annoying protagonist kid.

Quote Originally Posted by QT Melon View Post
    Don't believe Ondor's lies!
    I lol'd.

Eh...not quite. Prime at its core is just the same as side-scroller Metroid. Other M wanted you to do God of War finishing moves and introduce you to CD-i quality story. Which took an even more brazen note than Metal Gear and actually had a mode for just the cutscenes and no game. Except that I'd listen to King Harkinian say Dinner for 10 minutes before I even considered watching that for five.
    It still felt like there was comparatively far more emphasis on shooting things and running from Point A to Point B in the Prime series, than "Okay, I need to highjump my ass up through the ceiling" and "I need to bomb the hell out of all of these walls at all times" like there was in classic Metroid.
    Granted, the different format of Prime would have made this a grand pain in the ass. But the thought process behind evaluating a new area that you were digging around in, I feel, shifted quite a bit in Prime from the originals.
    The exploration process in classic just felt more... exploratory, to me. Less emphasis on combat, more on finding secrets, where I feel like the reverse is true in Prime.

Not that it's a bad thing. It's just... different.
    It makes you prioritize differently.

Leaving the core mechanics intact while tweaking them just enough to where it feels like a different experience is more in line with that I'm talking about for Pokemon.
    Not playing up to whatever's popular in modern gaming trends, like Other M did.
    Resident Koopa Trash