Page 42 of 160 FirstFirst ... 3240414243445292142 ... LastLast
    Weasyl
    Infestissumam
    stepping on the crowtche owf your americain presidaint
    Most of the time games like Mario Party or Mario Kart outsell games that do new and diverse things. If the outcry for more diverse games was anything more than that, then party games wouldn't sell so much. Making a game based on a new concept is a huge risk, as demonstrated by the Wii U. You can win big or lose big. A game in recent memory that managed to forge success by doing something new is Minecraft. But has there been anything else that really hit it big by doing something new?

Don't get me wrong, of course, I love games that do new things. The problem is whenever Nintendo releases something new, most gamers will say stuff like "That's not a real Paper Mario game!" and then when they release something rehashed they complain "This isn't new though!" Castlevania is having the same problem. Their niche market was going to kill the franchise, so they made a game that tried something new, and the fans complained it wasn't a real Castlevania.

Weasyl
    Infestissumam
    stepping on the crowtche owf your americain presidaint
    Quote Originally Posted by XoPachi View Post
    And let's be real. The reason a lot of new stuff in existing IP's doesn't catch on is because it doesn't at all translate well. That's why Lords of Shadow sucks so hard. A Castlevania action game would kick ass...if it felt like Castlevania. It was a God of War rip off that damn near played itself. It was a mess of QTE's, bad camera angles, and bland copy pasta combat. The second is WAY better, but the first? Nope.
    People still hated the second, though.

I broke 500kills with the Nova Shotgun in CSGO since I got my stattrack.
    It's arquably the worst gun in the game, very punishing if you miss, and even if you hit, your odds at killing someone are slim to none.
    It takes a ton of luck and follow up shots to get anything done with it. But, because it's challenging, it's fun.

Weasyl
    Clove Darkwave
    Quote Originally Posted by Infestissumam View Post
    Castlevania is having the same problem. Their niche market was going to kill the franchise, so they made a game that tried something new, and the fans complained it wasn't a real Castlevania.
    I can't speak for anyone else, but for myself the problem with Lords of Plagiarism isn't that it's "Not a real Castlevania". It actually hits the narrative, mood, and atmosphere perfectly. My problem was the God of War gameplay ripoff that lacked what made God of War's gameplay good (If a bit stale and button-mashy).
    I feel like the only one...who loved Super Paper Mario. :/

And let's be real. The reason a lot of new stuff in existing IP's doesn't catch on is because it doesn't at all translate well. That's why Lords of Shadow sucks so hard. A Castlevania action game would kick ass...if it felt like Castlevania. It was a God of War rip off that damn near played itself. It was a mess of QTE's, bad camera angles, and bland copy pasta combat. The second is WAY better, but the first? Nope.

A good example of a game translating well into a new style (good thing it's Nintendo) is Metroid Prime. The whole trilogy. And since we're on the topic of Castlevania, I suppose Symphony of the Night goes up there too.
    I loved the hell out of Super Paper Mario. If my Wiimote wasn't dead I might go play through it again.

This displeases Count Bleck.

Also, I'd like to second everything else in your post.

Weasyl
    Clove Darkwave
    The part early in the game where you had to grind for the Rupees or whatever they were was the only part I had an issue with. That was an extremely poorly implemented idea, the rest of the game was great fun. I think The Whoa Zone more than made up for it, and Castle Bleck was one of the coolest final levels ever.

Weasyl
    Sparkyopteryx
    Super Paper Mario was a brilliant little gem. Character design was awesome and as quirky as the previous Paper Marios, the level design was artistic, interesting and suitably entertaining, and my god the music was awesome. O'Chunks and Count Bleck are easily some of my favorite side characters.

....Curse that dead Wiimote. Now I want to play it again too.

Weasyl
    Sparkyopteryx
    What was that part with the nerd chameleon? That was my favorite area. I got stuck at the castle though. The last one. I believe I was with...Peach. And then I had to give it back to my friend.
    Oh man, Francis? Goodness that part was...hilarious and uncomfortable in equal measure. That was definitely a fun chapter though. Rilvor and I reference him in jokes quite frequently. "Neeerrrrrrrrr..."

Did you get all the way to the Underwhere? That's when the game starts to get more intense, also you get to play as Luigi (finally).

Weasyl
    Toshabi
    Mario RPG trumps paper mario. It's too bad that it was a squaretendo thing. Fuck. FUCK! >:[

I legitimately gave paper mario a try and I felt the combat system to be very one-dimensional. Maybe I gave up on it too early, but I just couldn't get hooked. The art style was the only thing drawing me into it as well as the catchy tunes. The gameplay really turned me off.

Then again, I feel like if they were to make a Super Mario RPG 2, (with how Enix is doing), I'd probably end up playing the same dungeons and areas 4-5 times with the same bosses to progress through the game. That or it''d be littered with Super Mario Fem-emo-hottopic gothic characters like most FF games are nowadays.

Weasyl
    Toshabi
    :V

:3

content content content content content content I'm amazing for finding windwaker HD for 5 dollars at a pawn shop today content content content.

Weasyl
    N/A
    The Paper Mario games were wonderful. As much as I enjoyed Super Paper Mario, nothing will compare to the first playthrough of TTYD for me. The Glitz Pit will always hold a special place in my heart~