Page 146 of 160 FirstFirst ... 4696136144145146147148156 ... LastLast
Results 1,451 to 1,460 of 1596
    Weasyl
    Battlechili1
    I so badly want to play Rising. I think it'd be hella fun to play a Metal Gear action game. Slicing through mechs, watermelons, and bad guys. Was probably going to get it after going through the Legacy Collection.
    The future is in the past! Onwards Aoshima!

Beat AC: Revelations, have a bunch of the side stuff done and am wrapping up the rest. This fucking Mediterranean Defense game is dumb as rocks. They want you to take over a city, but no matter how many missions you clear or power you have, you never actually gain total control, and they expect you to have all cities at once for an achievement.

Aside from the master assassin missions, one more guild challenge, and the Defense meta-game, I only need to do a little tinkering with the online before moving to another game.

I will say the story was great, and getting Ishak Pasha's armor...man, dude was rocking some serious duds and now I am.
    Sega does what Nintendon't.

Weasyl
    N/A
    "To tell us that every species of thing is endowed with an occult specific quality by which it acts and produces manifest effects, is to tell us nothing; but to derive two or three general principles of motion from phenomena, and afterwards to tell us how the properties and actions of all corporeal things follow from those manifest principles, would be a very great step." -Issac Newton, Optics
    "You are what you do not do." - Relax

Since I finished AC: Revelations, I decided to just get RE: Operation Raccoon City over with.

It's not as horrible as I thought it would be, but it is not especially well made. Slant Six really tried with some ideas and failed with others: the facilities all look pretty good, aside from posters on walls pixelating if you look at them and the general equipment looking meh, but the character models are fairly good. Sound design sucks, and if you don't have subtitles on, you are missing out.

I wish they would have just called some guns (like the AK-47 and Thompson SMG/Tommy gun) what they are instead of Militia Gun and Mob Special.

Oh, and the game is oddly glitchy. I got an achievement for killing 5 enemies via blood frenzy...while shooting incendiary rounds at a soldier with no zombies near him. Eh, whatever.

But it does fulfill the itch to explore one of the most incredible locales in gaming history and do so with quite a bit of freedom to weaponry without any serious need to conserve...though the game is very conservative by not letting you carry more than one can of first aid spray and one can of antidote.

Whatever.

Weasyl
    Domnul Eduard
    There is a certain thrill in playing Witcher in Polish language, as the atmosphere and character fit perfectly with it. The Polish Voice Acting is exquisite too.
    But I sense this is to be expected considering Witcher was born in the lands of Poland.

Weasyl
    Onnes
    Quote Originally Posted by XoPachi View Post
    You're not wrong at all, but we're getting into extremes here. I don't necessarily mean you have to be an expert or competitive because yeah, that would suck. Imagine if a pro Melee player like Mew2King reviewed the new Smash Bros. We ALL know how the Melee community feels about anything that isn't Melee or Project M. They're expectations are strictly for the competitive aspect and what Melee had 14 years ago. lol

Let me give you an example of what I mean by a scrub review. When DK Tropical Freeze was released, Gamespot, I think it was, dented it by calling the game cheap in its difficulty, or at least that particular reviewer. Saying it was "too hard" due to "unfair deaths". Needless to say he was mocked and laughed at by even Nintendo. He's someone who doesn't have even intermediate experience with platformers (obviously if he's complaining about easy deaths in a game about mastering your jumps). This is the sort of thing I can't stand in reviews. If he reviewed a Mega Man game, he would have given it a 1/10 since he can't even handle Donkey Kong. It's the worst sort of bias. I see this a lot with my preferred genre of arcade shooters. I am no master myself, but I know that in a game that's supposed to be ludicrously difficult, the last thing I better think is "this game is too hard and it's not fair". Too bad a lot of reviewers think it should be a cakewalk.
    You don't have to be great, but you need to understand what it is you're playing and who it's made for. Pardon if that sounds like I'm changing my stance a little bit, but this is what I originally was trying to get at.

And I agree with your second part. That's why I like Totalbiscuit. He puts his biases and the fact that it's an opinion up front immediately. Some other reviewers don't; they speak with objective statements. :c
    I probably shouldn't have used "competitive" as that really is an extreme. But it does sound like we don't disagree that a reviewer's background has some influence on their reviews. Of course a good reviewer makes this fairly explicit; however, that personal perspective will still be there. And a reviewer should spend an appropriate amount of time with each game and have some reasonably broad knowledge of gaming history. I was really just, more than anything, annoyed at people diluting the term objective by trying to apply it to things that are intrinsically opinionated. For game reviews, I think the best advice has always been to keep track of individual writers; being familiar with a writer's personal preferences and style makes lets you better interpret what they say about a given game.

I do think, though, that "outsider" reviews, reviews by people without significant experience with a given genre, can be valuable. Putting aside the entertainment value of a well-written outsider piece, such reviews can shed light on the tropes of a genre or style that, while widely accepted, seem bizarre to anyone who isn't already committed. Sometimes you can see this in action more counterintuitively when a veteran ends up playing something like a casual mobile game, a game designed to appeal specifically to an audience with minimal gaming experience.
    Last edited by Onnes; 07-14-2015 at 11:01 PM.

7.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #1457

Weasyl
    pinardilla
         
       
    Now,
              let's go play, together...
       
    Together under the
                     clearest of
    blue skies.

I'm finding it harder and harder to feel much motivation to play Dark Souls, especially to completion. I do like this dark fantasy world, but the savagely unforgiving gameplay makes it hard to feel like my next mistake won't be my last. I already lost a lot to Sif, and I can only imagine what it'll take to beat Quelaag, and especially Ornstein and Smough.

I'll just have to shelve this (again) and work on other games. Either this will really turn into a long-term game, or I'll eventually tire of it and sell it (will be more disappointing if I do that without beating the add-on).

Ugh. At this rate I wonder if I'll ever touch II or if that will end up being a Youtube by-proxy playthrough.

Weasyl
    Battlechili1
    Is there any way to comfortably hold a PSP? I got a PSP but my right hand gets numb whenever I try to play anything on it. Its too tiny. I've been trying to play Valkyria Chronicles 2 on it.
    The future is in the past! Onwards Aoshima!

Weasyl
    Umbra.Exe
    Whoops. Forgot to reply in here, sorry. >>;

Quote Originally Posted by XoPachi View Post
    Shocklingly enough, Madcatz is a good brand. Everything else they make is garbage, but their arcade sticks are top notch. I'd start there if you can't get anything better.
    Quote Originally Posted by piņardilla View Post
    Their recent ones, anyways. Older models have had hilarious problems such as a washer on the joystick gouging the fuck out of its own PCB. So don't buy anything old without researching first.

I like my Qanba Q1 just fine. It's a solid Sanwa-clone starter stick, and a good base for swapping genuine Sanwa/Seimitsu parts into later on if you feel the need.

edit: No Qanba stick for the PS4 currently, though. Most sticks these days work on both PC and one console so get something new that does both PC and PS4.
    Alright, guess I'll look at the newer Madcatz ones then. I'm surprised to hear they're alright, I used to have controllers from them for the N64 and they were all junk. XD

Speaking of controllers, I'm a bit peeved that I can't find my old Gamecube controllers. I haven't been able to play my Gamecube stuff for months and months. I prefer to play Brawl with the Gamecube controllers, so it sucks that I can't find 'em. I've also been wanting to have a go at playing the Megaman Anniversary Collection I bought forever ago.

I found some crummy Pelican controllers that we stopped using soon after we bought them. Now I remember why. The Wii doesn't even recognize the danged things! The most that happened is that one started vibrating violently as soon as it was plugged in.