Page 103 of 160 FirstFirst ... 35393101102103104105113153 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,030 of 1596
    Quote Originally Posted by Loafy View Post
    So from what I can tell you can appreciate a classic game for the most part. You disagree with me, but you haven't really given me a counterpoint as to why. Is there a reason in particular you still want to play classic games?
    Because I either haven't played them and want to or because I like them.
    Sega does what Nintendon't.

Weasyl
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by XoPachi View Post
    I can't go back to certain old games. Anything before Master system, the Atari and -Vision consoles, Nintendo's first party titles on NES (except for Startropics, and Zelda II, holy shit). Waaaaaay too dated to be enjoyable.

EDIT: Though when I play classics, I usually play them for particular reasons and not to "relive the memories". Like I'm always trying to 1 life every game. That's ALWAYS a goal.
    I have a similar boundary, Master System was my first console. Anything before that and I just cant have a good time. Because of that I get why younger gamers wont even look at a SNES or a N64. Of course there are a few exceptions, I'm a fan of speedrunning and NES games like Zelda I & II and well-suited for it. In particular those two games are a good example, because Nintendo never really caught on here: it followed the Sega > Playstation > 360 format.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueJaySF View Post
    Because I either haven't played them and want to or because I like them.
    Well, fair enough I suppose. At least you're willing to give them a try. Are there any in particular you keep coming back to?

Weasyl
    Vae
    In the face of continuing advancements in gaming, has anyone else found their nostalgia called into question?
    I'm the opposite, and not just for nostalgia reasons. I just genuinely enjoy pre-64 era games a lot more than the later generations. The newer ones just don't really hold my attention, aside from a few exceptions.

For instance, I ran through Mario 3 twice just this week,
    Dragon Spirit once,
    and Super Mario World once. And I enjoyed all of it.

I also tend to like games modeled after the "oldschool" formula more, like La Mulana, Cave Story, and Shovel Knight.
    They're just more fun to me.

There is a reason there's a Super Metroid poster in my bedroom, it was a perfect gameplay experience and had a lasting impact on me on what a good game should be.
    I will agree with this, though.

Aside from it being a bit too easy once you know what you're doing, Super Metroid feels like the closest thing to a "perfect" game that I've ever played.
    Resident Koopa Trash

Well, fair enough I suppose. At least you're willing to give them a try. Are there any in particular you keep coming back to?
    Not really, since it's been a while since I repeatedly played a game at all (Batman: Arkham City being the last one, but that's hardly an older game), be it consecutively or over a stretch of time with other games mixed in. I played the X-Men Arcade game a couple times over several months ago, but between my various activities and trying to get through more modern games, I don't have much in the retro category that I've repeatedly visited.

I still plan on finishing up a run or two (one good, one evil) in KOTORII, since it runs on my 360 and I don't use my Xbox anymore. Was going to do the same with the first, with the Yavin Station DLC this time around, but I sold it over the holidays for extra cash (got a good deal on eBay for it, too).

Eh, I play games as I get to them, I suppose, and I only revisit them on a pretty random basis.

Just finished:

1) Taking down the Darkroot Basin hydra. It's a mini-boss, which is why it doesn't its name on the bottom of the screen with a big old health bar. He shoots a mass of water projectiles at you as you approach, but when you enter the waterline, he opts for smashing his heads into the ground in a set pattern, and if you have a shield that does 100 physical defense, you're good to go to town and he doesn't use any other attack.

Of course, being me, he decided to shoot projectiles when I'm in the water, nearly killing me for a minute until he changed tactics and allowed me to butcher him. You really need the Rusted Iron Ring for this fight, since it allows you to move in water and other impediments as if they weren't there. I used my halberd to take down all but one head (and yes, his heads clip into the ground and walls badly, making harming him difficult at points). When that happens, you can just stand there and shoot him with your bow and you won't get hurt, which is what I did since you die from falling off an underwater cliff-edge if you try and get closer (you can just make out the edge if you have a decent television).

After killing the hydra, I rested at the bonfire formerly guarded by the halberd Black Knight and then quit and reloaded my game to make sure the golden crystal golem spawned. Took him down without much trouble (he's behind where the hydra was, you have to follow the left side of the lake all the way to the back). Now I have a magic merchant, Dusk, that I can summon at the front of the lake. I bought a bunch of spells off here, especially Chameleon, which turns me into an environmental object to fool other players invading my game.

Fuck Sif. Kills me like it's nothing, takes almost no damage whatsoever from my fire-enhanced halberd, and then ruins it a second time right after I recover.

I head back with a ring of sacrifice equipped, and before I can even reach my goddamn remains, stupid dog kills me. Ring breaks, I lose 22 soul levels and 8k souls. I had tried sniping him with arrows from outside, but I was doing 1-2 points at a time, regular arrows, so I was wasting my ammo. Then he killed me that third time and fucking pissed me off. Fuck that dog.

Now I have to do that Hellkite farming trick to regain some of what I've lost, which will immediately be spent restocking arrows and buying a shit-ton of poison arrows.

Weasyl
    N/A
    I got a 2DS! I haven't played a handheld this comfortable since the GBA. No idea what to get for it though. I bought the Mighty Switch Force games for the cheap, they're pretty fun. Any ideas other than the obvious Pokemon/Smash/Mario suggestions?

Weasyl
    Battlechili1
    I bought a Wii. I got the game Pandora's Tower with it but otherwise I don't know much about the Wii's library. All I know that I need to get are Super Smash Bros. Brawl, The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, The Last Story, Xenoblade Chronicles, and Sin and Punishment: Star Successor.
    I got a 2DS! I haven't played a handheld this comfortable since the GBA. No idea what to get for it though. I bought the Mighty Switch Force games for the cheap, they're pretty fun. Any ideas other than the obvious Pokemon/Smash/Mario suggestions?
    Here: http://i.imgur.com/sIfuKrV.jpg
    My experience with the Rune Factory series tells me that Rune Factory 4 would be a pretty good buy at least, if you like ARPGs and farming games like Harvest Moon.
    and Kingdom Hearts: great at the time, but pale in comparison to current games in their respective genres.
    II perhaps? Playing the original for me nowadays is extremely tedious and annoying, but I can still go back to and enjoy II for just how much it added, changed, and improved. And there's always the HD Remixes to help give it a newer, better look.
    Last edited by Battlechili1; 03-14-2015 at 10:58 PM.
    The future is in the past! Onwards Aoshima!

Poisoned Sif with a crapload of poison arrows, bringing his health down to almost nothing. Put on stone armor and Iron Flesh, killed him in two hits. Also grabbed the Hornet Ring.

Fooling around a little, I decided to unequip my weapon and use my bare fist to backstab the mushroom children. It's actually quite amusing, though you do almost no damage. I'm also getting a lot better in general with backstabbing.

I upgraded my Pyromancy Flame to 9, but it'll be a bit before I get it to 10 (it'll take 12k). At the moment, it's a little more realistic to upgrade my endurance again and then Hellkite farm the difference. Pretty sure I'll end up tackling Blighttown next, but I also want to clean up the graveyard at Firelink some more, get the last three items. Then again, it'd be tough since my Pyromancy still isn't especially strong. I'll have to experiment a little.

Weasyl
    Clove Darkwave
    I don't think modern gaming has influenced my appreciation for old games at all. I look at them through different lenses now because I am older now, some of these games I first played 20 years ago. But good games are still good games, and bad games are still bad games.

I will say that I think games back then knew how to appeal to your sense of fun better. I can load up something like Kirby and the Crystal Shards or Super Mario Bros 3 or Monster Party or something and be grinning one moment, shouting the next, or on the edge of my seat when fighting a boss. A lot of modern games tend to make me say "wow" or "that's cool" or "whoa that's gorgeous" or "aww sick". That is not to say that all of them are like that, like Serious Sam games for example.

I can still go back to Pokemon Red/Blue and enjoy myself. The last time I played it I did a Poison type clear and it was pretty entertaining.

You know it's when modern games try to be retro that tends to be a bit off-putting. I think nothing emphasizes the disconnect better than those games.

--

Don't worry BlueJay, when you get to Beavis and Butthead you'll get a real challenge. You can't cheese that boss encounter in any way that I am aware of. It is then that we shall see if you have been able to "Git gud". How do you like the game at this point? Have you had to use a guide?