Page 46 of 160 FirstFirst ... 3644454647485696146 ... LastLast
    Weasyl
    Clove Darkwave
    I find people that do that silly.

Why go to such lengths in a game where random crits and move miss chance will teach you the error of your ways time and time again?

This is why I like my Clefable. Metronome has trolled its way to so many absurd victories (with a dozen losses for each one, but damn if it wasn't fun).

Weasyl
    Monster Tamer Billy
    ^ that too, though I take such losses without a heavy heart :x

Another thing in online poké-battling that I hate. Suddenly, nobody can tank anything else, like it was in the single player. You'd take four Super-effective hits of your strongest attack to down the Gym Leader's first line, even on the same level, even with great EVs and skills. Online, it's all decided on SPD and ATK/SATK, and a single attack. Just one. Choice Scarf galore to enforce that. Pokés that are good for one static strategy only, taking away the dynamism that was the whole singleplayer based upon :/

C'mon guys, twenty years doing that... When it'll be fun?

I'm pretty sure I'm picking the nerve from some fan more loyal than me. You can blame Digimon World Dusk for my complaints. Yush, the rival series figured it out seven years ago, and whoa what a change of pace! O: Wonder why pokémon didn't learned anything from them... Or why this series never got much attention.
    Last edited by Billy MT; 05-09-2014 at 03:35 AM.

Weasyl
    Clove Darkwave
    I don't have any problem running tanks, or at least I didn't when I still battled online. But then I also use a lot of Poison types, which are strong defensively as a rule of thumb.

Edit: But yes, the game is horribly broken on the "Attack Fast/Hit Hard" lack-of-strategy. Removing the Choice items from the game would help this immensely.

Or more things like the Assault Vest. I stuck one on my No-Guard Golurk and named it "Big-Duo". Tons of fun.

Edit2: Also, crits need to be rebalanced. Tanking is not a viable strategy because Crits ignore what tanks rely on.
    Last edited by Rilvor; 05-09-2014 at 03:52 AM.

You guys might like double battles a little more based on the complaints, there is quite a bit more depth to it. You may want to check out nugget bridge for that.

And crits have been rebalanced, they don't do as much damage as they used to. There are tanking strategies that work (although I don't know what they are)

Also if your teams are EV perfect, but you haven't worked on breeding their IV's that can make a big difference (it's extremely easy to breed for IV's in XY). A couple of IV's difference in a certain speed or defense stat can make a really big difference in who goes first or whether you can survive a particular attack. And people have been known to breed things with less than a perfect IV, or a particular mix of EV's specifically to control at what point in a turn their pokemon moves.

What experience I have doing online battles is that you'll get better as you start to learn the meta game, what the threats are, and how to handle them with your team. It also helps to do research into the game and such. I bred about 7 or so perfectly IV'd pokemon over the course of a month, and simply learning and researching and tweaking moves/ev's around improved my rating by quite a bit while I still played. (bare in mind I only managed to push myself up into the 1700's or something like that which was pretty low, but I was winning slightly more battles than I was losing on most days)

But yeah, I'd recommend double battles, or finding more casual people to battle with.
    Fish heads! Fish heads! Rolly polly fish heads! Fish heads! Fish heads! Eat them up! Yum!

Weasyl
    Monster Tamer Billy
    Quote Originally Posted by lorenith View Post
    (...)But yeah, I'd recommend double battles, or finding more casual people to battle with.
    Psh, I'm a double/triple battle maniac, said experiences were in these o:

Weasyl
    Clove Darkwave
    Quote Originally Posted by lorenith View Post
    And crits have been rebalanced, they don't do as much damage as they used to.
    No they haven't, and here's why:

Crits ignore all boosts to Def/Sp.D, which can shatter a tank in a single blow. Crits are very easy to build for.

But also: Crits ignore any changes to Attack/Sp.Att that lower the stat. This is how you end up with extremely broken garbage like Infinite Crits Kingdra spamming Draco Meteor at full power critical hits.

Formula: Kingdra @ Razor Claw
    Ability: Sniper
    Level: 50
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature
    - Focus Energy
    - Draco Meteor
    - Muddy Water
    - Protect

Kingdra isn't the only one that can do this, all you need is Stage 4 crit boost. A Super Luck ability + Razor Claw is close enough to replicate this without fear of Hazing.

This is what I mean in that I can't possibly take this game on a competitive, serious level. Better to be silly and do whatever seems fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy MT View Post
    Psh, I'm a double/triple battle maniac, said experiences were in these o:
    And this is why I shouldn't post half asleep. -_-;;;; bleeh
    Fish heads! Fish heads! Rolly polly fish heads! Fish heads! Fish heads! Eat them up! Yum!

Quote Originally Posted by Rilvor View Post

Timid Nature
    - Focus Energy
    - Draco Meteor
    - Muddy Water
    - Protect

*yoinks*

Quote Originally Posted by Rilvor View Post
    No they haven't, and here's why:

Crits ignore all boosts to Def/Sp.D, which can shatter a tank in a single blow. Crits are very easy to build for.

But also: Crits ignore any changes to Attack/Sp.Att that lower the stat. This is how you end up with extremely broken garbage like Infinite Crits Kingdra spamming Draco Meteor at full power critical hits.

Timid Nature
    - Focus Energy
    - Draco Meteor
    - Muddy Water
    - Protect

Kingdra isn't the only one that can do this, all you need is Stage 4 crit boost. A Super Luck ability + Razor Claw is close enough to replicate this without fear of Hazing.

This is what I mean in that I can't possibly take this game on a competitive, serious level. Better to be silly and do whatever seems fun.
    I'm pretty certain this Kingdra would be knocked out before it had time to effectively set up and make use of a 100% crit ratio. This set up isn't being used or even talked about seriously in the official (nintendo) meta game, so it's probably not as big a deal as you're making out to be. if it was everyone would be running it instead of your typical Swift Swim rain team kingdra.

I found it works against people who aren't expecting it, or who don't run Fairies First.

...which is surprisingly a lot.