Weasyl
    Bri Mercedes

Muddy Colors on "Finding Your Audience"

http://muddycolors.blogspot.com/2014...-audience.html

Thinking about becoming a professional artist or gaining followers? Give this a read. It helped me a lot.

Weasyl
    Sparkyopteryx
    Thank you for posting this. I can't say it any stronger in that this advice is exactly what I need right now in my life and in regards to where I want my art and myself to finally go. He takes a lot of the ambiguity of this complex and delicate operation known as "Marketing Yourself," especially regarding portfolios.

Insert Witty Comment Here AndiGreyScale's Avatar
    Weasyl
    AndiGreyScale
    This entire article applies to me in every way. Especially the finding a niche thing.

And it comes just in time as I think I finally found the style I love. Now I just need to perfect it.

Weasyl
    whiteicepanther
    I've been going through a period where I can't totally decide what to do and feelin' a bit lost for some reason. This article totally helped. I'm so re-reading it in the morning and forcing myself to bullet point my own response to each bolded thing he mentioned.

Especially the niche part. I need to pin that down way better than it currently it is.

Thanks Bri for sharing!

Weasyl
    Bri Mercedes
    I'm so glad you all were helped as much as I was, it was just so great that I had to share it!

Also guys, if you liked that article, check out these podcasts from Chris Oatley:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/...229683736&mt=2
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/...108766375&mt=2
    Last edited by Bri Mercedes; 02-25-2014 at 03:26 PM. Reason: added links!

This is great, thank you for sharing the article. I think even for someone (like me) who considers art as a hobby and not necessarily a career, it's still valuable and a good read!

Thanks for that. I consider myself a real jack of all trades and I'm struggling to focus on one thing. I just love everything and always want to experiment. But I haven't found my audience yet!

Weasyl
    Fliposaurus
    Thanks for the article. It doesn't help that I'm super indecisive.

That's a great article. I've been really working on narrowing down my audience for my webcomic so I can really spread the word to the right people about what I do. Really good to see that I'm going in the right direction with it all. I'll have to pass this article along to a friend of mine who's really struggling with finding and marketing to the right audience for what she does. Thanks for posting this!

Weasyl
    Bri Mercedes
    I'm indecisive AND I love to learn new things, so it's super hard for me. I want to do everything: webcomics, concept art, fine art, I can't decide! Since reading this (and lots of other articles), I've started a project to help me focus my art and portfolio in the direction of children's books since that's what I ended up specializing in during college.