Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Weasyl
    N/A

Drawing after a Hiatus - Getting that motivation back

So I've been not-drawing for a good while now and right now I'm trying to get back in the game.

Currently, I'm just doodling though I'm still not feeling it. It's like I forgot how to draw cubes.

I think the worst thing in drawing I do is not allow myself to work on any ideas of mine that makes me go on a hiatus. I always feel like my skills are way behind to even attempt to have fun and show people something so I basically kill my own motivation.

But I think that we all need to have a break every now and then.

I'm thinking I might just continue doodling, maybe listen to people like Sycra while I draw, flip through a couple books of mine, relax, think a little bit less, and I'll be back in the game sooner or later. :>

What you guys like to do to get yourself working again after a break? How do you like to loosen up/warm up? What ~stimulates your creativity~?

Weasyl
    Hewge
    Honestly - I just keep drawing daily, even if it's not much and is just doodles. Think of it as if you have this rock/block thing, and you're just chipping away at it every time you draw.

Then once your rock suddenly breaks - it's like an orgasm of creative feels and rainbows fly out. Hnngh.

Weasyl
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Hewge View Post
    Honestly - I just keep drawing daily, even if it's not much and is just doodles. Think of it as if you have this rock/block thing, and you're just chipping away at it every time you draw.

Then once your rock suddenly breaks - it's like an orgasm of creative feels and rainbows fly out. Hnngh.
    Yeah man, I've been drawing like every day for the longest time until the later half of feb where I just sorta melted and stopped.

muh energy

Can't wait til I break that rock though

Weasyl
    Gamedog
    I took over a year off of art, not drawing anything at all. Then all of a sudden I just got into art and started drawing and creating characters. Try doing that?

Weasyl
    Zeitzbach
    Kinda hard for me to take a break if I keep finding stuffs that can inspire me. Having an OC is the best way to keep yourself motivated. Having more than one keeps you forever active. Consider everything you will see now as an inspiration.

Oh look, a fantasy cloth... what if my OC is wearing one?
    Oh look, a robot anime... what if my OC is a robot?
    Oh look, what a fun MMO! Let's throw my OC in for a fan art.
    Oh hey, I am mad. I will now express how mad I am with a drawing of my OC and a very angry note.
    Oh hey, a chibi. I should draw one later and omfgkawaiidesudesu let's draw more.
    Oh hey a tentacle monster...yeah

Weasyl
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamedog View Post
    I took over a year off of art, not drawing anything at all. Then all of a sudden I just got into art and started drawing and creating characters. Try doing that?
    Problem with me is I don't work on any ideas at all. I'm too hung up on "getting it right" rather than just trying to enjoy myself cos my eyes get burned from glaring errors.

Idk, I try to have a bit of fun but I end up enjoying it less on most attempts.

I could try caring a bit less as I go though? I really dunno

Weasyl
    QTMelon
    The times I am not drawing are because of work. Other times I'm doodling. I want to work on more finished pieces but if I don't I can't worry about it (unless it's a commission).

How do I do it? I just do. I like the process, not the results. If you're mired up in the results you won't get anything done.

I guess if you play a video game, do you play it because you only want to beat it, or do you enjoy the process of solving problems while you're playing a game? Sometimes you couldn't time a jump right, but you still play it again till you get it right. You then enjoy the fact you learned how to get the jumps timed right. You learn how to use the game mechanics in a way you enjoy and often it's too the point where beating the game is secondary.

That's what I mean by not getting caught up in a finished result. You learn to take enjoyment in learning how to get better.

Weasyl
    Ruggy
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibby View Post
    Problem with me is I don't work on any ideas at all. I'm too hung up on "getting it right" rather than just trying to enjoy myself cos my eyes get burned from glaring errors.

If you can magically just get yourself to care less by saying 'I shouldn't care this much', then yes, do that.

Failing that, I personally find that gesture drawings are a great warmup, and I don't just mean for the figure practice (though that is great, too.) Make a shitty drawing? Doesn't matter, you took like 2 minutes on it and you're about to do another one. That one's shitty, too? Do another. And so on. I find that doing a few gesture drawings helps me get into that mindset of, 'sucks? move on. sucks? move on.' But it could be anything; a shoe, a vehicle you've never drawn before, animal pictures on Google. Some quick thing you can look at (so the only decisions you have to make are what lines to put where and not what to draw) and aren't very attached to, so if it sucks, you can just try again.

I find I make better drawings, oddly enough, when I don't care about fixing the result. Do a lot of my quick gesture drawings suck? Absolutely, but I've made so many that a lot of them end up good, too. And I obviously take more time and care on work that's intended to be finished, but I've gotten a lot less precious about having to erase stuff that's wrong or redrawing the thing entirely if it needs to be redrawn.

Something else I've found that helps is if I have a specific idea of a specific pose I want to draw, I either take a picture of myself doing that (yay self-timer), or have someone else do it. It helps reduce the amount of time spent wondering why the figure you just drew looks wonky.

If I'm trying to get myself excited about art and have no ideas, I look at other art. I have a few favorite illustrators that I'll go to (James Jean, Ivan Bilibin, any number of comic book illustrators) or I'll poke around in Artist A Day or something, and see if they give me any ideas to try. Sometimes I'll just ask myself questions about my characters and see if any interesting ideas to draw come up that way.

I'm sure your mileage will vary, but those are some things that I, personally, have found to be helpful after coming back from not doing art for a couple of years.
    Last edited by Ruggy; 03-07-2014 at 12:01 PM.
    Formerly gorgonops. I do art-type stuff.

Just scribble. Literally scribble something to get used to holding the pencil / pen again. Then just start making random sketches: faces, eyes, hands, a tree, a rock, a dinosaur. I'll even draw dumb stick figures sometimes.

If you force yourself to do it you won't like what you're doing at all, but if you just go at it without thinking too much if it looks good or bad or that you /have/ to make a masterpiece, it's going to be much easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Gibby View Post

So consciously force yourself to not get hung up on "getting it right"

If you mess up, throw it away and start over from scratch, and possibly a new angle. Or finish it without worrying about what is wrong until you finish, then start over anyway.

I started drawing again in December, and I got myself jump started by doing a combination of doing character design where the way the character looked wasn't set in stone yet (ex), and by doing a daily advent calender pokemon thing on tumblr, with the very specific rules: every drawing including the coloring should take no more than 10 minutes max to finish, if I didn't like what I was drawing I should either start over immediately, or finish the current one without using my eraser, and then start a new drawing of the same pokemon but in a different pose, and from a different angle.

Just doing this improved my drawing a little bit by loosening everything up, and also made it easier to work spontaneously and without obsessing. (although I still do have to make a conscious effort to not obsess).

Not every drawing has to be perfect, don't get attached, and be willing to simply start over from nothing.
    Fish heads! Fish heads! Rolly polly fish heads! Fish heads! Fish heads! Eat them up! Yum!